Proof by induction [Sorry!!!] Watch

Narik
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Okay, I've found out there are several different types of questions for FP1 where you are asked to prove something using induction.

There's the series one, the sequences one, the matrix one [which I yet have to learn] and the divisibility one.

However, I'm stuck on the divisibility one i.e. the one where you have f(n).
The book I'm using states that these questions are tackled by simplifying " f(k+1) - f(k) " OR " f(k+1) + f(k) ".

Now my question is, how do you know which one of these to use???

Thanks! [Examples would be nice ]
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Narik)
The book I'm using states that these questions are tackled by simplifying " f(k+1) - f(k) " OR " f(k+1) + f(k) ".

Now my question is, how do you know which one of these to use???
Either method is valid, the dilemma is which will work best for a particular question.

I would think that, playing the odds, you'd be best off simplifying f(k+1) - f(k) unless there's something particularly tempting about the other approach.

In fact, can you actually give an example where they say you should simplify f(k+1)+f(k)?
Narik
Rep:
?
(Original post by DFranklin)
Either method is valid, the dilemma is which will work best for a particular question.

I would think that, playing the odds, you'd be best off simplifying f(k+1) - f(k) unless there's something particularly tempting about the other approach.

In fact, can you actually give an example where they say you should simplify f(k+1)+f(k)?
Thanks and here is the example.

Prove that: 2^(3n + 2) + 5^(n + 1) is divisible by 3

The working out uses f(k+1) + f(k) and I tried it using f(k+1) - f(k) but it didn't work...

Here is the link:

http://www.schoolworkout.co.uk/.../r...0induction.doc

[On page 8]
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Using f(k+1)-f(k) seems to work fine to me :

Spoiler:
Show
f(k+1)-f(k) = 2^(3n+2)(2^3 - 1) + 5^(n+1)(5-1) = 7(2^(3n+2))+4(5^(n+1)) = 6(2^(3n+2))+3(5^(n+1)) + (2^(3n+2)+5^(n+1)).

The first 2 terms are obviously divisible by 3 and the last term is f(k) and so is divisible by 3 by induction. Then since f(k+1)-f(k) and f(k) are both divisible by 3, so is f(k+1).

[N.B. your link doesn't seem to work so I can't compare whether it was much easier using f(k+1)+f(k)].
Narik
Rep:
?
(Original post by DFranklin)
Using f(k+1)-f(k) seems to work fine to me :

Spoiler:
Show
f(k+1)-f(k) = 2^(3n+2)(2^3 - 1) + 5^(n+1)(5-1) = 7(2^(3n+2))+4(5^(n+1)) = 6(2^(3n+2))+3(5^(n+1)) + (2^(3n+2)+5^(n+1)).

The first 2 terms are obviously divisible by 3 and the last term is f(k) and so is divisible by 3 by induction. Then since f(k+1)-f(k) and f(k) are both divisible by 3, so is f(k+1).

[N.B. your link doesn't seem to work so I can't compare whether it was much easier using f(k+1)+f(k)].
So basically, it doesn't matter which you use, although one method may be simpler than the other, as both will give you the end result. Thank you so much!! :thanks:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (228)
39.31%
No - but I will (40)
6.9%
No - I don't want to (41)
7.07%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (271)
46.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise