How much did you spend on books? Watch

simon12345
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I've just bought a bunch of books in preparation for my first year at uni. In total they cost me £300. How much have you/will you spend on books this year? If applicable, how much did you spend on books in previous years? What are you studying?
Welsh_insomniac
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I spent about £250 on my first year... and I'm paying around the same price for my second year I'm going to have a nice little collection of Economics and management textbooks when I'm through with university
jennifer.re
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I spent £110 on 3 books (well my parents/grandma did). There was a list of 10, 1 of which I'd already read, and felt it only necessary to get a couple. There are libraries for a reason.
blinkbelle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In first year they cost me £250ish, second year around £180 - I shopped around ALOT and bought them second hand where I could, third year I've managed to only spend £50; buying one first hand and 2 second hand. Got lucky though, 2 modules don't require textbooks this yr yay!! xx
affinity89
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
For my first year I spent around £160 and used most of them although there were one or two I didn't even open.

For second year I've bought book off the comp/prelim reading for each course and it has come to just under £40.
Lindath
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by affinity89)
For my first year I spent around £160 and used most of them although there were one or two I didn't even open.

For second year I've bought book off the comp/prelim reading for each course and it has come to just under £40.
comparative and preliminary?
I don't get the sentence either. How did you manage to come under 40£?
Pixels
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Four books for about £110, one more to go.
xJessx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I spent around £100 for two module books, two dictionaries and a grammar book.
affinity89
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Lindath)
comparative and preliminary?
I don't get the sentence either. How did you manage to come under 40£?
Preliminary and/or complusory. I bought one book for each of my courses from the lists provided and in total, the cost was around £38. I bought three of them second hand saving, in total, £40 off the RRP for new copies.
Lindath
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by affinity89)
Preliminary and/or complusory. I bought one book for each of my courses from the lists provided and in total, the cost was around £38. I bought three of them second hand saving, in total, £40 off the RRP for new copies.
Okay, thank you very much
I hope there are second hand-book offers from other students.
TheOneWho
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Going into my final year (geography degree) and will have spent a total of £6.99 on books. The library hasn't failed me yet.
Esteth
Report 9 years ago
I spent £0.00 on books and didn't visit the library once. Computer Science is fun, kids!
bigman_ben
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I intend on buying none
dreadnaut
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
£200and something stupid

Most were ~£40/50 ....6 units. I got a couple cheap off amazon. What a waste. The course material my uni provided was enough.
freeforever
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So far I've spent none for my first year as my parents have all the essential books between them
Anick14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
my brother spent $410 on books. he's pre-pharmacy but in america he has to study economics/english/other things as well so it adds on.
Anick14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
some people spend over $1,000/year at my high school too (i work at the book store during the summer so i see the totals). it's ridiculous.
coldfusion
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nothing! I go to the library
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (404)
37.69%
No - but I will (82)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (75)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (511)
47.67%

Watched Threads