Paid Holiday Watch

Sakura-Chan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
If you don't take all the holiday you're entitled to during the financial year, what happens to your remaining hours? Do you get paid for them or lose them?

I'm not asking what should happen, I'm asking what does where you work.

Natasharox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You get forced to take the holiday.
there's too much love
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My brother I believe could transfer some of it, although I might be wrong...
...I might just be thinking of the end of the year where he managed to take some from the year he'd had and the upcoming year...
Sakura-Chan
Rep:
?
This forum is much slower than I though :sad:

The reason I ask is because in the next few days I may be making a call to personnel about what happens where I work. I've been there since September '07 and in that time I've never been able to take all of the holiday I'm entitled to for that specific financial year. I've always lost it. Until recently I didn't know that this isn't meant to happen, and isn't what happens in other companies.

At the moment I have 60-ish hours to take, and I only work 6 hours a week on a Sunday, I've almost catrgorically been told by my manager that if I put in a holiday request it'll be point blank refused because we don't have enough staff. Surely this isn't allowed? I don't want to lose 60 hours I'm entitled to!

I also found out that my extra hours holiday from working bank holidays has never been added on to my basic amount. We get an extra day instead of double time now for some retarded reason, but if I'm not getting my holidays I don't win there at all!

On a scale of 1-10, how annoyed should I be?
Jadel_L
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Are you sure you have 60 hours to take? Thats 10 Sundays off a year.
I was on a four hour contract and was only entitled to 16 hours holiday, yours seems very high to me. Also, my brother works full time and gets 21 days off plus bank holidays which equals around 150 hours. Something doesn't quite add up here.

Your manager can't refuse you time off unless someone has already booked that day off. You'l have to speak to them about this because it doesn't sound very fair at all.

And in answer to your first question, i used to lose all my holidays if i didn't use them.
Sakura-Chan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jadel_L)
Are you sure you have 60 hours to take? Thats 10 Sundays off a year.
I was on a four hour contract and was only entitled to 16 hours holiday, yours seems very high to me. Also, my brother works full time and gets 21 days off plus bank holidays which equals around 150 hours. Something doesn't quite add up here.
It is correct, I used to work more hours before. I only work Sundays, starting from today, due to other commitments, which is where my problem is. If I was to continue working there another year, starting from next April my entitlement would go down a lot.
Jadel_L
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sakura-Chan)
It is correct, I used to work more hours before. I only work Sundays, starting from today, due to other commitments, which is where my problem is. If I was to continue working there another year, starting from next April my entitlement would go down a lot.
Ah ok then. Have you asked about using them throughout the week and not just on a Sunday?
They should really let you do it, but of course they don't have to.
Sakura-Chan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jadel_L)
Ah ok then. Have you asked about using them throughout the week and not just on a Sunday?
They should really let you do it, but of course they don't have to.
I don't work through out the week any more though, I'm no longer listed on the 'system' for those hours so they can't pay me holiday for them

Are they legally allowed to just get rid of your holiday because it's not convenient for them?
bourney
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Natasharox)
You get forced to take the holiday.
No no no, you are going to Perpignan, and you will enjoy it.
Jadel_L
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sakura-Chan)
I don't work through out the week any more though, I'm no longer listed on the 'system' for those hours so they can't pay me holiday for them

Are they legally allowed to just get rid of your holiday because it's not convenient for them?
I was hoping you wouldn't be on that kind of contract, you're probably going to lose them now.
Is there any reason you didn't take them before you switched to just Sundays?

They can't deny you holidays, go in and book whatever dates you can. They can't refuse you every single one.
nuodai
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
Where I work you just lose it. You can't carry it over to the next year or get the pay for what you didn't take.
Lell
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Where I work you can carry over two days, for the rest it's a use it or lose it policy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (292)
37.63%
No - but I will (55)
7.09%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (373)
48.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed