Is university worth it or would you rather go into a job straight away? Watch

This discussion is closed.
cruciform
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Would you have rather done a degree or gone straight into a job after A-level, for example an economics degree at a top university or going straight into an accounting/banking job for training at 18. Discuss.
Lindath
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well I think that even if I could get into the job I want without a degree, I would prefer university all the way- it's studyinga nd doing research what I like- so far, I may change my mind in the next couple of months
Posthumous
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I want to go to university for the experience, but the career I have in mind I need a degree anyway :p:
girl0808
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
university for the experience, but if i was offered a decent job b4 uni, id take it. just because i dont think my degree will auto get me a good job...
kate03
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It depends what field you would like to go into, but I would prefer to go to uni, you learn more about life and about yourself in my opinion.

EDIT: However, I do question this sometimes when I look at my friend who didn't go to uni and is a year older than me with a good job, a good salary, two cars, and his own place.

Hmph.
achard
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Econs at top uni.

A degree is only useful when you don't have one.
Cutie Xx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I dropped out of uni last year and have worked in an office ever since....... Im going back to uni this year and i am soooooo glad. I honestly think i would die of boredum if i was just to work all my life in that place..... Right for some people, just not me x
polka_dott
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did get a job after my A Levels with training - but it did not work out for me. I did not like working in an office and need something more active. I am thinking of becoming a primary teacher after I have done my English & History degree they should keep me on my feet! It was a good opportunity for a school leaver as it led directly into Law but it was not for me. :no:
Glucosinolate
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This may be speculation on my part, but asking students on a student website if they would rather be students or get a job seems like something of a foregone conclusion. If someone would rather give up on uni and get a job, i doubt they'd be spending much time on this forum
Anon the 7th
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
univerisity will be worth it...i hope
JCM89
Report 9 years ago
If they'd let me go straight into surgery without making me go through medical school then I'd be all for it. We learn from our mistakes, right? :cheers:
coldfusion
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's gonna be a lot harder to get a job after A levels even accounting for economic conditions
musicforsanity
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by JCM89)
If they'd let me go straight into surgery without making me go through medical school then I'd be all for it. We learn from our mistakes, right? :cheers:
Hehehehe.

Pretty much this. If I could get the job without the degree then sure. But I know taking a year out to work full time while I decided what I wanted to do made me want to go to university.

:yes:
hiddencat12
Badges: 8
Report 9 years ago
University every time. Although I want to teach RS so kinda dont have a choice
gillipies
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I sometimes wonder if it's worth it because I'm pretty much sick of living off a student budget now, I just want to be on a proper wage (not just for a placement year because at the moment I'm living on a full time wage but also trying to save up a lot of money for my final year when I know I'll fall short and there's the possibility of not getting a job straight away after I graduate).

But at the same time I think I'd have missed out on fulfilling my potential if I hadn't gone to University. I love learning and finding out about subjects that interest me, which I couldn't have done (certainly to the level I have done at Uni) if I'd gone straight into work.

I think it depends what career you're hoping to go into and also your reasons for wanting to go to University as to whether it's worth it or not.
Pink Bullets
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There aren't any jobs I could have got at 18 that I would be happy doing for the rest of my life, so no. The idea of going into banking or accounting is dreadful...
llys
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
TBH sometimes I wish I had done an apprenticeship instead of going to uni - pipe organ building or organic farming come to mind. I don't need a lot of money to live comfortably / am not a very materialistic person and while I'm quite happy with my current situation both challenge-wise and money-wise I can't wait for it to end although I don't even know what to do afterwards. I'd like to be self-employed.. but doing WHAT, exactly?

But that's cause I'm in science, where nothing is sure, and the most you can look ahead is 3-5 years. This is really getting to me at the moment. As you can probably tell..
Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This topic's been done to death (there are plenty threads on this if you use search) so I'm going to close it.
(Original post by hiddencat12)
University every time. Although I want to teach RS so kinda dont have a choice
Try not to 'bump' old threads in the future
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.78%
No - but I will (115)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (701)
47.46%

Watched Threads