A level French Dictionary Watch

Mariam_92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I've just started AS French which I'm going to continue into A2 and I've been told to get a new dictionary. It's to bring to lessons so I was considering getting this one:
http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...do?sku=3560947
It's a bit larger than a normal pocket dictionary so I thought it would be better but does anyone else have a different recommendation?

Also, my teachers recommend the really large Collins Robert for home use, but I currently use wordreference.com a lot so I was wondering whether I really needed it as I can just go on wordreference.

Thanks for any replies in advance
Gooner
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mariam_92)
I've just started AS French which I'm going to continue into A2 and I've been told to get a new dictionary. It's to bring to lessons so I was considering getting this one:
http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...do?sku=3560947
It's a bit larger than a normal pocket dictionary so I thought it would be better but does anyone else have a different recommendation?

Also, my teachers recommend the really large Collins Robert for home use, but I currently use wordreference.com a lot so I was wondering whether I really needed it as I can just go on wordreference.

Thanks for any replies in advance
Hmm, I can't really see how a dictionary of that size would be any use at AS to be honest with you; it's way too small for the demands of an advanced course. Doesn't your school have dictionaries you can use to save you lugging a big dictionary around?

I used this dictionary at AS and A2, and it's very useful. It's also not such a great idea to rely solely upon wordreference. It's good, but not really all that accurate in terms of contextualizing your vocab.
Mariam_92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Gooner)
Hmm, I can't really see how a dictionary of that size would be any use at AS to be honest with you; it's way too small for the demands of an advanced course. Doesn't your school have dictionaries you can use to save you lugging a big dictionary around?

I used this dictionary at AS and A2, and it's very useful. It's also not such a great idea to rely solely upon wordreference. It's good, but not really all that accurate in terms of contextualizing your vocab.

My school does have quite a few large dictionaries but we've been told to get a medium/pocket one for class and a large one for home.
So do you believe a large dictionary will be much better than using wordreference?
Tefhel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have the Oxford Hachette at home, it's great, I don't use it as much as I should but it is far better than Word Reference for accurate vocab.
Ice_Queen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I liked having a pocket one in my bag for class, and used the dictionaries at college and home when I was working there.
Gooner
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mariam_92)
My school does have quite a few large dictionaries but we've been told to get a medium/pocket one for class and a large one for home.
So do you believe a large dictionary will be much better than using wordreference?
Yeah, definitely! I admit, I use word reference when I'm being lazy but as laborious as it may be, you can't beat using a proper dictionary.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (322)
37.49%
No - but I will (67)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (408)
47.5%

Watched Threads