Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi i wondered if any of you could help me with this - ive gotta revise loadsa stuff for the research methods module and something here says 'name 3 characteristics of the normal distribution curve' Im thinking one of them is that its symetrical but thats blindingly obvious when you look at it. Can anyone help? :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    There's a Maths forum but I ain't bothered myself, you couldhave just searched Google for "characters of a normal distribution curve" and clicked on the first link:

Some of the important characteristics of the normal curve are:

1. The normal curve is a symmetrical distribution of scores with an equal number of scores above and below the midpoint of the abscissa (horizontal axis of the curve).
    2. Since the distribution of scores is symmetrical the mean, median, and mode are all at the same point on the abscissa. In other words, the mean = the median = the mode.
    3. If we divide the distribution up into standard deviation units, a known proportion of scores lies within each portion of the curve.
    4. Tables exist so that we can find the proportion of scores above and below any part of the curve, expressed in standard deviation units. Scores expressed in standard deviation units, as we will see shortly, are referred to as Z-scores.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomX)
    There's a Maths forum but I ain't bothered myself, you couldhave just searched Google for "characters of a normal distribution curve" and clicked on the first link:

Some of the important characteristics of the normal curve are:

1. The normal curve is a symmetrical distribution of scores with an equal number of scores above and below the midpoint of the abscissa (horizontal axis of the curve).
    2. Since the distribution of scores is symmetrical the mean, median, and mode are all at the same point on the abscissa. In other words, the mean = the median = the mode.
    3. If we divide the distribution up into standard deviation units, a known proportion of scores lies within each portion of the curve.
    4. Tables exist so that we can find the proportion of scores above and below any part of the curve, expressed in standard deviation units. Scores expressed in standard deviation units, as we will see shortly, are referred to as Z-scores.
    oh ok i think thats beyond what i need to know but youv'e answered my question Thanks

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.