Apprehensive about going to University! Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Please keep anon, the people I've met at my Uni use TSR!

I'm going to University next weekend, and I'm having mixed feelings about it all. One minute I'm excited, next I'm nervous, then before I know it I'm in tears about the whole thing. I'm just feeling abit overwhelmed by the whole situation. I'm sure I'll be fine after a few weeks, once I'm settled and have *some* kind of routine. I just keep telling myself everyones in the same boat. I dunno, I just seem to be more happy about seeing the guy I'm seeing for 1 day during Freshers week, than going to Uni itself, but I guess it's because I haven't seen him in a while, and he's familiar to me.

I've met my flatmates on Facebook, and some of the people on my course. The people on my course seem lovely, and a right laugh. It's just my flatmates I'm not too sure about. The girls in my flat seem awesome, but the guys always seem to be on about going out, getting pissed etc. I know I shouldn't make assumptions as I don't know them all yet, and they'll probably all be lovely, but I think it's the fact that the guys are so different to the type I hang around with at the moment. I know you can't get on with everyone, but I don't want them to think I'm not up for anything!!

I've always been quite a shy individual, and have always really stuck around with friends at parties and stuff, so I know during Freshers I'll be out of my comfort zone. I think our floor is all going to get Freshers tickets, so they'll be a big group of us going out on the second night! I just never know what to talk about, I usually just stand there quietly until someone talks to me. I'd love to be more confident, and be one of those people who can just strike up a conversation with, but I never know what to say!

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice about Freshers week, what to talk about, homesickness, just anything about starting Uni in general really! Any advice would be useful!

I'm sorry that it's such a long read, but I just had to get everything off my chest!
mollymustard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Firstly, don't worry everybody is really nervous when they start Uni even if they pretend they arn't! Personally I think you just need to try and not overthink things, take each day as it comes and make the most of the opportunities that present themselves. If people are going out, then go too as it gives you the chance to mingle and meet new people. It won't be long before you start feeling like you have a place and that its normal etc I think it took a week/two weeks before I felt like I'd been there for ages.

You say you are the shy type, never sure what to say. Well freshers week is easy in that respect. Who are you? What course are you doing? Where are you from? are all typical ways to get a conversation started so its certainly not so awkward as you would expect.

I can understand why you'd be scared of the guys wanting to get drunk all the time! Its not everyones cup of tea, but I doubt they are as bad as you imagine them to be. Before I went to Uni I was much more of a girls girl and had a massive group of girly mates back home so I wasn't sure what to expect guy wise either but actually some of my closest mates at Uni now are the guys. I think lots of people suprise themselves in freshers week, on how much new stuff you can cope with and things like that.

Once you are there I bet you will be thinking over this post and laughing about how worried you were!
SianSian
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Gosh, you sound just like me!
I don't have much advice to offer as I'm in your position too, I'm starting on Thursday, but I guess you've just got to be brave, smile, try your best, and remember you don't have to do anything you don't want to do.
Good luck, and have the best time
Anonymous #2
Report 9 years ago
out of interest, is it always a case of nerves etc and then when you get there you wonder to yourself, 'why was i nervous for?!'. Is that common at all?
neco101
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm really excited and can't wait to sart uni! I am nervous though, be lying if i said i wasn't
Siz
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
out of interest, is it always a case of nerves etc and then when you get there you wonder to yourself, 'why was i nervous for?!'. Is that common at all?
Very.

Think about it rationally for a moment. You are, most probably, leaving home for the first time, moving to a new place on your own to do something completely new. Scary? Sure. But how many people do you read about/hear from who say they're having an amazing time? Most of them.
It's absolutely natural to be nervous - I'd be surprised if you weren't. But you won't be alone - it's the best atmosphere to meet new people, make loads of friends and get involved in stuff. After a couple of weeks when you've settled in, you'll have forgotten your nerves. And everyone you meet those first few days will be in exactly the same boat, anyway.
Good luck
Anonymous #3
Report 9 years ago
it sounds like a great flat. lovely girls and up for a laugh lads.
Soulless Beauty
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by SpecialKate)
The parts in bold sound exactly like my own concerns. I like to have some kind of sense of order about what I'm doing.
I was practically tearing my hair out earlier in the week when my Fresher's handbook hadn't arrived in the post. When it did come, even having a schedule for what is probably going to be a very chaotic week calmed me down considerably, so I know what you mean about being comforted by having a routine :yep:

I too am kind of nervous about meeting my flatmates. I haven't been able to find any specific people yet because of the system at the uni I'm going to, but I just feel kind of convinced that they are all going to be as you have described and I will be ostracised for not being "up for everything". I know this is kind of ridiculous because there are logically going to be other people like myself and yourself at uni but it worries me just the same :o:

I know none of this is particularly helpful to you, I just find it personally reassuring to find of people who have the same concerns as myself.

As for dealing with homesickness, I plan to call home regularly... but not dependently. I'm feeling ok about leaving home, it is simply the distance that concerns me (280 miles) and I am worried about feeling stranded in loneliness if I don't manage to make friends, so just being able to speak to those that care about me will be reasuring for me.

I'm sure conversations during freshers will come pretty naturally, at first people will probably just all be talking about where they are from, what they are studying etc. No need to overthink it

Good luck, I'm sure we'll be fine :p:
Holy ****! Hundreds of miles?!

I'm moving literally 3! Haha
neco101
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
280 miles? bah - i'm moving 350
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (385)
37.2%
No - but I will (80)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (72)
6.96%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (498)
48.12%

Watched Threads