26 and restarting uni(again) advice on Freshers/meeting people Watch

MittenKrust
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Since I look older or at least I have always been an outcast.

I come across as a bit needy(when all it is, is that I am nervous due to aspergers)

It's going to be harder than most people to go to Freshers and make friends, because when I was at uni last year before I decided the course and uni wasnt for me I did meet some graduates(ironic) the first night and went drinking with them but they were moving from area so never saw them again and the rest of the week was too tired to go out every night plus I have a problem with getting stressed out easy and I cannot hold a conversation.

Because of my disability I am still in my mind in my late teens/early twenties not 26 as I actually am that is why I am stressed because my personality clashes with itself.

Just want some advice on ways to act when I meet people so I dont come across as some old guy who is desperate!
achard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Make friends with fellow matures.
EnthusiasticEnthusiast
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just act cool, don't say too much at first, crack some jokes and have fun with them.

Don't go around buying everyone drinks, stand your ground and talk to as many people as you can.
MittenKrust
Rep:
?
(Original post by achard)
Make friends with fellow matures.
At my last one I found next to none and they either lived in different towns or werent interested in clubbing or they were but not in as fun a way.
MittenKrust
Rep:
?
(Original post by EnthusiasticEnthusiast)
Just act cool, don't say too much at first, crack some jokes and have fun with them.

Don't go around buying everyone drinks, stand your ground and talk to as many people as you can.
What I am worried about is the line between saying too little and being out of the loop i.e say hi and introduce myself then go away and the person may then start chatting to others and make good friends with them.
EnthusiasticEnthusiast
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MittenKrust)
What I am worried about is the line between saying too little and being out of the loop i.e say hi and introduce myself then go away and the person may then start chatting to others and make good friends with them.
Keep the conversation flowing, change subject if need be.
AshMcD
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MittenKrust)
Since I look older or at least I have always been an outcast.

I come across as a bit needy(when all it is, is that I am nervous due to aspergers)

It's going to be harder than most people to go to Freshers and make friends, because when I was at uni last year before I decided the course and uni wasnt for me I did meet some graduates(ironic) the first night and went drinking with them but they were moving from area so never saw them again and the rest of the week was too tired to go out every night plus I have a problem with getting stressed out easy and I cannot hold a conversation.

Because of my disability I am still in my mind in my late teens/early twenties not 26 as I actually am that is why I am stressed because my personality clashes with itself.

Just want some advice on ways to act when I meet people so I dont come across as some old guy who is desperate!
It's a tricky one isn't it. I think the situation for me (I'll be 26 when I start next year) is that (And no disrespect to you young uns about here) let's be honest, I probably don't have that much in common with most 18 year olds and they probably don't have much in common with me. And even if we did it's unlikely we'd want to go about them the same way.

I'm hoping there will be some kind of mature student society. I'll be 300 miles away from my friends and my home, so if I fail to make friends at uni by joining the societies I'm interested in/mature students in my first year at halls/mature students on my course etc etc I'll probably join up to a local rugby club, kayaking club and various other effects and make friends that way.

Just because you're at uni, it doesn't mean that uni is the only way you can make friends.

I suspect I'll treat uni a bit like I have treated work for the last 10 years. Yes, you might meet friends there and that's good, but my very best friends I've met through similar interests and nothing to do with work.

One thing is for sure, no one has ever met anyone sat in watching TV, get out there and do as much as you can. Enjoy it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (343)
37.82%
No - but I will (72)
7.94%
No - I don't want to (64)
7.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (428)
47.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise