oxbrige Advice needed Watch

osmith467
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I am a grade A student, with 10A* and 1A at GCSE.
Yet I got AAAB in my AS' because my teacher taught me the wrong poetry in my English Literature class and my mum was suicidal the night before the exam, as she was abandoned by my dad. I got full marks in my coursework but a c in th exam because 'my theme didn't match the poems'. Yes, I do regret not claiming special circumstances! However, nothing can be done about this now and I will simply resit it in Jan and get my four As.

But I have never got a B before in anything and feel totally crushed. I want to apply to top unis like Cambs for Modern languages and to others, like Kings and UCL to study Law with French. Basically I just need some reassurance that my aspirations are still realistic and that all is not lost, along with some oxbridge advice re interviews and applying.
Thanks for all your help
Xei
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Apply through CSAS, you have clear mitigating circumstances so it should be absolutely fine; do well at interview and you have a good chance.
emilY?
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...forms/csas.pdf for CSAS (Cambridge Special Acces Scheme) info. Even if you don't qualify, which I imagine you do at first glance but you can always email the uni to check, the SAQ filled in when applying may provide a space to mention something like this. You're aspirations are absolutely realistic, fear not
xinolisss
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't really think one B is going to be hardly a problem for you.

I was pretty much a good student at my school too, however I got aaaabA in my AS levels, the b being in Chemistry, and I am doing Engineering. I never got nearly as many A* as you did at IGCSE, so calm down mate, it ain't that bad. Try your best, I don't think one B qualifies as "significantly disrupted". I'd say either tell your referee to include this in your reference, or write it out in your personal statement or in the SAQ which is the perfect place to complain about your school problems since it is absolutely confidential between you and the university, your teachers will not get to know what is written on your SAQ, it is up to you whether you would like to have a go at the school or not, they'll never know.

Good luck!
Canned Door
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by osmith467)
Yet I got AAAB in my AS' because my teacher taught me the wrong poetry in my English Literature class and my mum was suicidal the night before the exam, as she was abandoned by my dad. I got full marks in my coursework but a c in th exam because 'my theme didn't match the poems'.
I got similar results, but I got my B in EngLit just because I was really really bad at poetry (whereas you have a good reason for doing less well in that exam). I worried about the B, because it's a relevant subject for languages, and it was a B. zomg. (I understand that.) I didn't even resit it. I applied for MML and got in. Every application is different, but don't be put off applying because of one very explainable B in a subject that you're clearly good at.
marapermanyer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by xinolisss)
I don't really think one B is going to be hardly a problem for you.

I was pretty much a good student at my school too, however I got aaaabA in my AS levels, the b being in Chemistry, and I am doing Engineering. I never got nearly as many A* as you did at IGCSE, so calm down mate, it ain't that bad. Try your best, I don't think one B qualifies as "significantly disrupted". I'd say either tell your referee to include this in your reference, or write it out in your personal statement or in the SAQ which is the perfect place to complain about your school problems since it is absolutely confidential between you and the university, your teachers will not get to know what is written on your SAQ, it is up to you whether you would like to have a go at the school or not, they'll never know.

Good luck!
Hi Xinoliss!
Do you recall me? You gave us (my son and me) some advice when he was about to decide his A-Levels combination.
I have seen that you will study at Cambridge next course, that's amazing! Many congratulations...Estoy muy orgullosa de ti!
Also I see you keep giving good advices at TSR. That's great.
Best wishes
sil3nt_cha0s
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by osmith467)
Yet I got AAAB in my AS' because my teacher taught me the wrong poetry in my English Literature class and my mum was suicidal the night before the exam, as she was abandoned by my dad. I got full marks in my coursework but a c in th exam because 'my theme didn't match the poems'. Yes, I do regret not claiming special circumstances! However, nothing can be done about this now and I will simply resit it in Jan and get my four As.

But I have never got a B before in anything and feel totally crushed. I want to apply to top unis like Cambs for Modern languages and to others, like Kings and UCL to study Law with French. Basically I just need some reassurance that my aspirations are still realistic and that all is not lost, along with some oxbridge advice re interviews and applying.
Thanks for all your help
Mate, one B grade is hardly going to affect your chances :facepalm2: Do well at interview (if you get one) and move on.
xinolisss
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by marapermanyer)
Hi Xinoliss!
Do you recall me? You gave us (my son and me) some advice when he was about to decide his A-Levels combination.
I have seen that you will study at Cambridge next course, that's amazing! Many congratulations...Estoy muy orgullosa de ti!
Also I see you keep giving good advices at TSR. That's great.
Best wishes
Yes I do recall slightly!
How are you doing? It's surprising how you found me again on here...
But anyways, thanks! And best of luck for you too, What a levels is your son doing?
Good luck!
marapermanyer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by xinolisss)
Yes I do recall slightly!
How are you doing? It's surprising how you found me again on here...
But anyways, thanks! And best of luck for you too, What a levels is your son doing?
Good luck!
Well, we only had advices from very few people, including you. I suddenly remembered about this guy from Gran Canaria and found out about you!
He takes Maths Physics History French (and Spanish). AAAAA at As, quite good IGCSES, and now he will apply for Economics, including Oxford. Fingers crossed!
User182034
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You're more than fine OP. When I applied I had (in subjects that counted) AAAC at AS. My dad passed away at the beginning of my AS year but I didn't feel the need to apply through CSAS as I had their requirements-3 As at A Level predicted.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (515)
37.56%
No - but I will (107)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.78%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (656)
47.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed