Are credit checks for contract phones lenient? Watch

Vicious Fishes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I want to get a contract phone for uni so am gonna pop into The Carphone Warehouse tomorrow, I just want to know whether or not it's likely that I'll pass their credit check.
ma2k5
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You don't have missed payments etc do you?
SuicidalLemming
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They wouldn't let my mum have one and she has a perfect credit record lol. She got one direct from orange in the end.
TomDut
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Depends.

I went in back in July and applied with a Visa Electron Card and was declined by T-Mobile.
In August I applied for a Student Account, got a Visa Debit Card, applied again with T-Mobile direct and got accepted.
Vicious Fishes
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by TomDut)
Depends.

I went in back in July and applied with a Visa Electron Card and was declined by T-Mobile.
In August I applied for a Student Account, got a Visa Debit Card, applied again with T-Mobile direct and got accepted.
What do you mean applied with a Visa Electron Card?
samperry209
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Vicious Fishes)
What do you mean applied with a Visa Electron Card?
Used a bank card with the visa electron logo...

I got a contract at carphone with t mobile and i had a default on my credit profile LOL
skribla
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TomDut)
Depends.

Visa Electron cards are given to customers who have/ had an under 18 bank account. Barclays do it with their young person accounts, not sure about other banks.

You will have been declined because of the bank card/ bank account you were trying to use. When T-Mobile contact the bank regarding the DD they will see that you are a minor, or have the account of a minor.
*Sparkle*
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes they are.

I currently have been approved for four contracts, I have to pay my mum's and mine and have been told I can have two more, which I don't want obviously.
WelshBluebird
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think they are quite lenient.
My contract was first taken out in my fathers name because I was under 18, but once I turned 18 I got the contract transfered into my name, no problem at all.
tsarcasmic
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I just got declined by orange and 3!!! I don't know what to do. I'm 18, I have a student account and no bad history
Clairey Fairy
Report 9 years ago
Virgin declined me yesterday! Im 18 aswell without any bad credit history.:confused:
Hens00
Report 9 years ago
If you worried about your credit rating, try applying for a low cost handset on a cheap monthly line rental. See www.badcreditcontractphones.co.u k

Also, SIM only contracts are easier to pass a credit check since no handset is supplied.
frederizia
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've also got a question concerning credit checks. I'm coming to the UK later this week (I'm from Germany) and I don't have a bank account yet (well I have one that is empty and that hasn't been used in a few year and might not be active...long story). My Dad still has a natwest account with money on it from when we lived in England.

If I was going to use his account, does the whole contract have to be in his name? Can I transfer it to my name & my account later? They also ask for a phone number but we don't have one in the UK at the moment, obviously, would this be a problem? I really love the contract + phone that I saw online, I want to have it so badly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (215)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
6.93%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.57%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (259)
47.26%

Watched Threads