Philosophy Applications 2010 Watch

QED
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I think we should have this thread. You can add any details you want, with regards to where you're applying, which courses etc. and I'll update them in the OP. I hope there's more than just me applying this year (although I'm applying for Maths & Phil at most places).

Name: QED :awesome:
Currently studying: Mathematics, Further Mathematics, English Literature, Philosophy and Ethics
Applying for:
Philosophy (V500): Cambridge;
Maths and Philosophy (GV15): Bristol,Warwick;
Natural Sciences (CG0F0): Durham;
Philosophy and Maths (VG15) Southampton.
QED
Rep:
?
No one? :awesome:
littleshambles
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Awwww! It seems like yesterday when I made the 09 one!

If anyone turns up I shall watch over you all like a neurotic maternal figure :teeth:
QED
Rep:
?
Wow, der's like no one.
Sam o0o
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm applying for Philosophy and History joint...

So far I have Durham, Exeter and Cardiff down, then a few others like Kent/Queens Belfast/St Andrews/Sheffield etc which I'm tryna choose between.

I wish one of the two London unis offered the joint honours, but oh well!
FluffyLion
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm currently considering Philosophy - I have really no idea what I want to do, but I'm considering English Lit, Drama, Philosophy and various joint honours between those. My friend has just gone to do philosophy at Manchester, and she's suggested me some books to read.

Considering KCL, York, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol at the moment, but I'm sure there'll be others to add to that list.
missmourk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi there! I'm applying for Philosophy at Cambridge, most probably Emmanuel College, UCL, St Andrews and Durham. I'm doing Maths, Physics, English Lit. and History at A Level and am slightly freaking out about interviews/personal statement/reading truckloads of philosophy.

What have you read and what colleges are you considering?

xx C
QED
Rep:
?
I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, English Literature and Religious Studies: Philosophy and Ethics.

Personally I've read:
Russell - Problems of Philosophy; Introduction to Mathematical Philosophy
Descartes - Meditations
Hume - Enquiries
Ayer - Central Questions of Philosophy; Language, Truth and Logic (reading atm)
Mill - Utilitarianism

Then some other books, 'Thinker's Guide to God', 'Puzzle of Ethics' both by Peter Vardy, 'Think' by Simon Blackburn and bits and bobs of some of the 'Very Short Introduction' books on philosophers/philosophy. I do Philosophy & Ethics at school, so some of this was just 'general wider reading'.

Oh, and I'm applying to Sidney Sussex.
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There have been some good philosophers at Sidney :yy:
Histrionics
Report 9 years ago
I'm applying for Philosophy (all V500) to: St Andrews, Edinburgh, Durham (St John's), Nottingham and York.
m i l o
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hello other philosophy applications! I'm applying to study straight philosophy at Cambridge (Peterhouse), St. Andrews, Durham (University College), Sheffield and Cardiff. I've just written my personal statement. I was applying to read philosophy and theology at Oxford but decided against it.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey guys. I'm applying to UCL, LSE, Bristol, Edinburgh... and possibly Cambridge if my PS is strong enough. Doing Biology, Chemistry, English Literture and Economics at A level. :awesome:
lightburns
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I didn't get that great AS grades
A in psychology
B in RS (0.5% off an A)
B in maths (dropped)
C in physics (retaking)

So, I'm thinking of taking a gap year, and reapplying with my AABb. But I'm giving it a go this year, just in case Warwick accepts me, that's the only place I want to go to really.. Applying for both 'Philosophy' and 'Philosophy with Psychology'.
angrydanmarin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I done worse than Lightburns! i got
B philosophy
C psychology - retake
C english language - retake
D sociology - pfft

Im thinking of applying for philosophy at Heythrop, Nottingham if i get B's in the psycho/eng! as i am predicted them :P, and i have no idea where else! lol i am doing my personal statement at the moment though, it's looking okay...ish
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by QED)
Name: QED :awesome:
Currently studying: Mathematics, Further Mathematics, English Literature, Philosophy and Ethics
Applying for:
Philosophy (V500): Cambridge;
Maths and Philosophy (GV15): Bristol,Warwick;
Natural Sciences (CG0F0): Durham;
Philosophy and Maths (VG15) Southampton.
That's gonna one complicated personal statement. Why natural sciences as well?
QED
Rep:
?
Oh wait, I was going to apply for Maths and Philosophy via their Natsci programme. But I've switched to Nottingham Maths & Phil.
missmourk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi again. Is anyone else applying to Cambridge for Philosophy and stuck on which college to choose? Quite a few have external Directors of Studies for Phil... is that something to be wary of...
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No don't worry about it. Because Phil is such a small subject at Cam, loads of Colleges have external DoSes, it doesnt make any difference whatsoever, except you might have to walk a bit further for the odd meeting. Similarly because its so small, they compare applicants between colleges, so if you are good enough you will get in. So just apply wherever you want.
missmourk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thank you! Right, well I'm stuck between Jesus and Emma. I actually prefer Jesus but... Emma takes essays and I'd like them to see that I can write well and carry an argument, especially if my app. is put in the pool. Do you think it will disadvantage me to apply to a college that does not take essays?
lightburns
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by angrydanmarin)
I done worse than Lightburns! i got
B philosophy
C psychology - retake
C english language - retake
D sociology - pfft

Im thinking of applying for philosophy at Heythrop, Nottingham if i get B's in the psycho/eng! as i am predicted them :P, and i have no idea where else! lol i am doing my personal statement at the moment though, it's looking okay...ish
It's all relative in what you need :P In two exams I got one grade less than I need, in two exams you got one grade less than you need.. So we're in equal positions imo..
I have to do a physics mock on friday to get predicted a B :O little bit worried about that, as I had a week's warning and I've been badly ill, but hey, whatever.

Good luck for this year
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (477)
38.22%
No - but I will (95)
7.61%
No - I don't want to (87)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (589)
47.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise