The Student Room Group

Gay: how to make most of uni LGBT?

I really want to join my uni LGBT next year but I'm quite nervous. I'll be going to their first event (meet-up at a bar) on my own so I'll feel slightly awkward. I'd be really depressed if I don't meet anyone -- I don't know a single gay person. So I need to get it right.

Anyway, how can I make the most of it and what sort of things should I say? If you have any experiences of doing something like this (on your own, particularly), I'd be very grateful. Thanks.
Reply 1
Remember that everyone else will probably be nervous and by themselves as well, it won't just be you :smile: Also I wouldnt go in there with the expectation of meeting a boyfriend, just try and talk to a lot of people and hopefully make friends :smile:

I haven't started uni yet, but I volunteered at London Pride in the summer by myself, and I had to go in a gay bar for a meeting. I was ******** it, but in fact everyone was really friendly and I made some good friends from the experience. And they were all like 25+ so with people our age it'll be even easier hopefully.
Reply 2
I guess everyone will be in the same situation as you, so don't worry. Just go with the flow :wink:
Reply 3
Usar
I really want to join my uni LGBT next year but I'm quite nervous. I'll be going to their first event (meet-up at a bar) on my own so I'll feel slightly awkward. I'd be really depressed if I don't meet anyone -- I don't know a single gay person. So I need to get it right.

Anyway, how can I make the most of it and what sort of things should I say? If you have any experiences of doing something like this (on your own, particularly), I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

i feel exactly the same way,

i'm guessing you have to think about it as everyone is in the same boat and if we may meet a special someone then bonus but don't go looking for it, friendships start first :P
Reply 4
imomo16
Remember that everyone else will probably be nervous and by themselves as well, it won't just be you :smile:

i'm guessing you have to think about it as everyone is in the same boat and if we may meet a special someone then bonus but don't go looking for it, friendships start first :P

Well the thing is, I'll be a third year then, and most actually new people will be 1st years. Sure there'll be the odd 2nd/3rd/4th year but they'll be rare. And the first years will likely go with the college LGBT rep so they'll be going in a group. Unlike me on my own :mad: :p:

Also I wouldnt go in there with the expectation of meeting a boyfriend, just try and talk to a lot of people and hopefully make friends :smile:
That's not my expectation, just to clarify when I said "meet someone." Just meeting any gay people would be good!
Reply 5
I joined our LGBT last year and hated it. Too cliquey for my liking and guys thinking they're hotter than what they actually are. Very bitchy.
Reply 6
^ So what else have you joined/done to meet gay people?
Reply 7
Bottoms up. :borat:
Reply 8
Usar
^ So what else have you joined/done to meet gay people?

Nothing much. Made a few gay friends at the start of the year and went out with them but we kinda lost contact after Xmas.

I'll try harder next year :biggrin: It doesn't help that i'm pretty much in the closet to everyone :frown:
Reply 9
ColdCase
Nothing much. Made a few gay friends at the start of the year and went out with them but we kinda lost contact after Xmas.

I'll try harder next year :biggrin: It doesn't help that i'm pretty much in the closet to everyone :frown:

LOL. I can see how this may present obstacles!
Usar
Well the thing is, I'll be a third year then, and most actually new people will be 1st years. Sure there'll be the odd 2nd/3rd/4th year but they'll be rare. And the first years will likely go with the college LGBT rep so they'll be going in a group. Unlike me on my own :mad: :p:

I had the same thing when I joined, I was in third year when I joined my uni's LGBT for the first time. I was lucky in that I was able to get talking to a few people very quickly, and I've made some good friends through it, but no relationships or anything :frown:
Probably best to try and make friends with people first and work from there!

Latest

Trending

Trending