Gay: how to make most of uni LGBT? Watch

Usar
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I really want to join my uni LGBT next year but I'm quite nervous. I'll be going to their first event (meet-up at a bar) on my own so I'll feel slightly awkward. I'd be really depressed if I don't meet anyone -- I don't know a single gay person. So I need to get it right.

Anyway, how can I make the most of it and what sort of things should I say? If you have any experiences of doing something like this (on your own, particularly), I'd be very grateful. Thanks.
imomo16
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Remember that everyone else will probably be nervous and by themselves as well, it won't just be you Also I wouldnt go in there with the expectation of meeting a boyfriend, just try and talk to a lot of people and hopefully make friends

I haven't started uni yet, but I volunteered at London Pride in the summer by myself, and I had to go in a gay bar for a meeting. I was ******** it, but in fact everyone was really friendly and I made some good friends from the experience. And they were all like 25+ so with people our age it'll be even easier hopefully.
Pezza18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I guess everyone will be in the same situation as you, so don't worry. Just go with the flow
Emily2402
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Usar)
I really want to join my uni LGBT next year but I'm quite nervous. I'll be going to their first event (meet-up at a bar) on my own so I'll feel slightly awkward. I'd be really depressed if I don't meet anyone -- I don't know a single gay person. So I need to get it right.

Anyway, how can I make the most of it and what sort of things should I say? If you have any experiences of doing something like this (on your own, particularly), I'd be very grateful. Thanks.
i feel exactly the same way,

i'm guessing you have to think about it as everyone is in the same boat and if we may meet a special someone then bonus but don't go looking for it, friendships start first :P
Usar
Rep:
?
(Original post by imomo16)
Remember that everyone else will probably be nervous and by themselves as well, it won't just be you
i'm guessing you have to think about it as everyone is in the same boat and if we may meet a special someone then bonus but don't go looking for it, friendships start first :P
Well the thing is, I'll be a third year then, and most actually new people will be 1st years. Sure there'll be the odd 2nd/3rd/4th year but they'll be rare. And the first years will likely go with the college LGBT rep so they'll be going in a group. Unlike me on my own :mad: :p:

Also I wouldnt go in there with the expectation of meeting a boyfriend, just try and talk to a lot of people and hopefully make friends
That's not my expectation, just to clarify when I said "meet someone." Just meeting any gay people would be good!
ColdCase
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I joined our LGBT last year and hated it. Too cliquey for my liking and guys thinking they're hotter than what they actually are. Very *****y.
Usar
Rep:
?
^ So what else have you joined/done to meet gay people?
baby sexy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Bottoms up. :borat:
ColdCase
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Usar)
^ So what else have you joined/done to meet gay people?
Nothing much. Made a few gay friends at the start of the year and went out with them but we kinda lost contact after Xmas.

I'll try harder next year It doesn't help that i'm pretty much in the closet to everyone
Pezza18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ColdCase)
Nothing much. Made a few gay friends at the start of the year and went out with them but we kinda lost contact after Xmas.

I'll try harder next year It doesn't help that i'm pretty much in the closet to everyone
LOL. I can see how this may present obstacles!
Apocalypte
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Usar)
Well the thing is, I'll be a third year then, and most actually new people will be 1st years. Sure there'll be the odd 2nd/3rd/4th year but they'll be rare. And the first years will likely go with the college LGBT rep so they'll be going in a group. Unlike me on my own :mad: :p:
I had the same thing when I joined, I was in third year when I joined my uni's LGBT for the first time. I was lucky in that I was able to get talking to a few people very quickly, and I've made some good friends through it, but no relationships or anything
Probably best to try and make friends with people first and work from there!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (285)
37.7%
No - but I will (53)
7.01%
No - I don't want to (55)
7.28%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (363)
48.02%

Watched Threads