Alternative Freshers' Week? Watch

einszweipolizei
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi,
I'm going to be starting at Oxford in October, and I just wondered if they'll be anything on offer during Freshers Week (mainly in the evenings) that doesn't centre around clubs and drinking, because the thought terrifies me as I'm only a little teetotal linguist...

Thanks
Teebs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There's the ritual whipping of the noobs. In this freshers are lined up outside the college gates and given alcohol tests. If they're drunk they're declared medically unfit and allowed to leave. The rest must face the wall of the college, place both hands on it and are then beaten with hickory sticks by the non-freshers. It's really quite an invigorating experience and lets those that don't drink feel they are truly part of college life.
einszweipolizei
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Well a good whipping never hurt anyone.

For reference see: no historically recognised whippings ever.

Will I get laughed at if I don't attend scary club nights and get covered in paint/bubbles/foam/bodily fluids?
Teebs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by einszweipolizei)
Well a good whipping never hurt anyone.

For reference see: no historically recognised whippings ever.

Will I get laughed at if I don't attend scary club nights and get covered in paint/bubbles/foam/bodily fluids?
I can think of several responses to this... I'll probably get banned if I make them though.

Lots of people don't attend clubnights. Just don't do what a a certain Magdalen PPE fresher who is notable for voting Lib Dem did* and tell people you're going to bed at 9 because you need to be up early to study on the second day of fresher's week. There are lots of things which are in between though that you'd probably find worth going to, just because there's alcohol involved doesn't mean it'll turn into a debauched party full of spraying bodily fluids.

*if you're reading this, consider it a lazy form of revenge for introducing me to people as 'this is Teebs, he makes these hilarious posts on The Student Room, that's an internet forum.'
Mayfly
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Teebs)
I can think of several responses to this... I'll probably get banned if I make them though.

Lots of people don't attend clubnights. Just don't do what a a certain Magdalen PPE fresher who is notable for voting Lib Dem did* and tell people you're going to bed at 9 because you need to be up early to study on the second day of fresher's week. There are lots of things which are in between though that you'd probably find worth going to, just because there's alcohol involved doesn't mean it'll turn into a debauched party full of spraying bodily fluids.

*if you're reading this, consider it a lazy form of revenge for introducing me to people as 'this is Teebs, he makes these hilarious posts on The Student Room, that's an internet forum.'
That said, I will be furious if our fresher's week bop this year doesn't.
Query
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So if I want to go to a concert at the O2 Academy (Wild Beasts, to be specific) instead of following everyone to the club, I won't be forever ostracized?
Mook
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm going to be starting at Oxford in October, and I just wondered if they'll be anything on offer during Freshers Week (mainly in the evenings) that doesn't centre around clubs and drinking, because the thought terrifies me as I'm only a little teetotal linguist...
I'm not sure what the score will be at Queen's, but I know that our JCR Welfare reps have to provide an alternative non-alcohol related event every evening during 0th. Generally, though, it really depends on your attitude to drinking. :dontknow: Of the people I know at Oxford who don't drink themselves, most seemed happy enough to come out in freshers week with all the rests of us drunkards and seemed to have a great time anyway. Not everyone wants to go clubbing - the biggest alcoholic I know hates going anywhere other than pubs. Having said that, lots of social events in college life involve drinking in some form or another; whilst there's absolutely no need for you to drink yourself, I think it is difficult if you feel uncomfortable at events where the people around you are likely to be rather inebriated.
kirkh1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
did anyone else find the freshers week schedule depressingly boring? where are the pub crawls, the parties, the bops? every evening its the same: "club night" or "midnight feast/games/snacks/tea in the JCR"
Murray Hewitt
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi,

Thanks
where is your sig from?

i wouldnt say its always true but its not a bad quote
Mook
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kirkh1)
did anyone else find the freshers week schedule depressingly boring? where are the pub crawls, the parties, the bops? every evening its the same: "club night" or "midnight feast/games/snacks/tea in the JCR"
Lots of JCRs aren't allowed to advocate drinking in that kind of way - it's perceived by the almighty Deans as peer pressure. Don't worry, there will be plenty of stuff organised unofficially that isn't on the printed timetable, and if you don't like what's organised then you're at perfect liberty to go off and do your own thing.
Sephaeii
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Our JCR organised activities look quite good (I'm also a non drinker, for medical reasons, so I fully appreciate your worries!) We've got kareoke, ice skating, open top bus tour, trip to an ice cream parlour, and they also have club nights for those who are interested.

I've asked various people if I'll get ostracised as a non-drinker, and I've always had the same response - no. There are people who drink, there are people who don't, and no one is particularly bothered which group you belong to! You can always find people who like the same things as you do, so don't worry about it. :-)
Mayfly
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kirkh1)
Secret: freshers week tea parties in Oxford usually consist of vodka drunk out tea cups.
Seriously, all that stuff doesn't drag it down as much as you think but it has to be done.
cpchem
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mayfly)
Secret: freshers week tea parties in Oxford usually consist of vodka drunk out tea cups.
Seriously, all that stuff doesn't drag it down as much as you think but it has to be done.
We're not that classy - normally it's industrial-strength G&T in plastic cups.
Mayfly
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Unnecessarily strong G&T will always taste of Balliol to me.

As will industrial strength WKD mix.

And cheap wine with a college sticker plastered on it (where are the vineyards? HOW ARE THEY PRODUCING THIS WINE?!)

And cheap wine from Tesco. possibly the same wine as the above.

edit: dear god, this is a thread about teetotalism. I am so sorry. There are lots of non-alcoholic events in freshers week, and ones people both drunk and sober can enjoy. Like karaoke. Drunk people enjoy doing it, sober people enjoy watching them, everyone wins.
cpchem
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mayfly)
Unnecessarily strong G&T will always taste of Balliol to me.

As will industrial strength WKD mix.

And cheap wine with a college sticker plastered on it (where are the vineyards? HOW ARE THEY PRODUCING THIS WINE?!)

And cheap wine from Tesco. possibly the same wine as the above.

edit: dear god, this is a thread about teetotalism. I am so sorry. There are lots of non-alcoholic events in freshers week, and ones people both drunk and sober can enjoy. Like karaoke. Drunk people enjoy doing it, sober people enjoy watching them, everyone wins.
Yet you've managed not to mention the buttery (or should that be Doug's?) punch...
Mayfly
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cpchem)
Yet you've managed not to mention the buttery (or should that be Doug's?) punch...
If you can remember what Doug's punch tastes like, you aren't doing it right.
Mayfly
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Actually, let me change that - if you can remember what Doug's punch tastes like, you probably didn't finish the glass.

I once had 4 because it seems so benign at first. Bad place, very bad place.

edit: once again, I must stress that partaking of this is in no way vital to enjoying freshers week. In fact, it may even be a hindrance in some circumstances.
cpchem
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's just too innocuous. In Michaelmas in first year, I must have got through about six glasses... I don't remember much after that apart from being *very* careful when going up the hall steps.

Scarier still... for Bacchus we order the same punch... and then it gets spiked with yet more vodka
LaurensL
Report 9 years ago
I'm not too fond of clubbing and drinking either. In st catz there are alternatives, movie night in JCR, quiz, etc.
I'll see where the majority goes
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi,

Thanks
At Jesus the SCR forced us to have one alcohol free alternative every night. So we always had a trip to G+Ds or the cinema or an open mic night or something, and we had plenty of day time stuff like Ultimate Frisbee in the park. Actually a lot of it gets a surprisingly good take up. Even if you're not drinking, clubbing can be quite fun in a random sort of way :p: I'd definitely recommend going to the first club night just because everyone will and you'll quickly find the others who feel like you do and hang out with them for the rest of the week.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (266)
38.61%
No - but I will (46)
6.68%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.4%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (326)
47.31%

Watched Threads