Law at Oxford - wasting my time? Watch

riiight.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

I was hoping for a while of applying to Oxford for law - until results day. I'm now thinking that's a waste of time, but i'm just checking here for any advice...

GCSEs: 7A* 2A
AS: BBBB
A2 Predictions: AAAA

I don't think they will ever see my unit marks for AS level (my school doesn't 'cash in'), but does my application have a chance?

According to people I've asked I have a strong personal statement.

Thanks for reading.
learner_dancer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Apply anyway. It's up to you to be honest.
mya369
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Even if your school doesn't cash in AS levels, many applicants will have acheived such strong grades that their teachers mention them in the reference. So if your grades aren't mentioned at all then an admissions tutor will suspect you have something to hide.

What was the reason you didn't achieve the As you seem capable of? Lack of work?

You have a small chance and I guess its just 1/5 choices.

Good luck
iheartlaw
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would apply anyway.

You have nothing to loose.
Blazor
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Similar position for me, but not applying to Oxford anymore, but still applying to some AAA courses ...

I'd go for it, as someone mya said, it's 1/5, just make sure you have some other options!
JCM89
Badges: 2
Report 9 years ago
It's worth a punt... if you don't apply you'll always wonder what might have been.
riiight.
Rep:
?
(Original post by mya369)
Even if your school doesn't cash in AS levels, many applicants will have acheived such strong grades that their teachers mention them in the reference. So if your grades aren't mentioned at all then an admissions tutor will suspect you have something to hide.

What was the reason you didn't achieve the As you seem capable of? Lack of work?

You have a small chance and I guess its just 1/5 choices.

Good luck
That's a very true point. I think only 1 module score has been mentioned.

And yeah - lack of work during the year. I worked hard the month before, but by that stage it was way too late. I regret it now.
xmarilynx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Aside from your chances of getting in (which, with good GCSEs/ps/reference/predictions and your AS Levels not being declared are good), would you be able to meet the demands of a degree at Oxford? Bearing in mind most people there would get at least mostly straight As at AS and A2 fairly easily, and that a law degree at any university is a lot of work. Just something to think about.

As everyone else said though, it's only one choice out of five, and if you think you can step up your efforts and get AAA, then go for it.
barefootfiona
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Definitely apply, but don't keep your hopes up too much. Or, rather, make sure you liek the other Unis you're applying to. You never know - some people get unconditional offers. Bear in mind that in Oxford, the interviewers are said to (SAID TO) not look at the personal statement as much. But if your school genuinely thinks you can achieve those grades, you'll lose nothing by applying.

But you have to be brutal and honest with yoruself - should you be doing four A Levels at all? Should you expect yourself to achieve four As? Because we don't know the reasons for your Bs we can't give a final judgement or final advice. If you were just 'lazy' make sure you work really hard this year. If you don't think you could have got any better, do you think you can achieve four As?

Regardless of the answers to these questions, GOOD LUCK, GOOD LUCK, GOOD LUCK!!!
Mike_P
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I know someone who didn't show AS lvls on his app, was predicted AAA and then got in for PPE.
Try to prepare for LNAT, if you get a decent/good score you have a shot at a interview.
riiight.
Rep:
?
(Original post by barefootfiona)
Definitely apply, but don't keep your hopes up too much. Or, rather, make sure you liek the other Unis you're applying to. You never know - some people get unconditional offers. Bear in mind that in Oxford, the interviewers are said to (SAID TO) not look at the personal statement as much. But if your school genuinely thinks you can achieve those grades, you'll lose nothing by applying.

But you have to be brutal and honest with yoruself - should you be doing four A Levels at all? Should you expect yourself to achieve four As? Because we don't know the reasons for your Bs we can't give a final judgement or final advice. If you were just 'lazy' make sure you work really hard this year. If you don't think you could have got any better, do you think you can achieve four As?

Regardless of the answers to these questions, GOOD LUCK, GOOD LUCK, GOOD LUCK!!!
I didn't get my AS levels through lack of ability for top grades but through laziness. If i had tried really hard for them, then obviously i wouldn't be right for this course. Deep down though i know i was working at 50% last year.

That was stupid and a shame, I know, but that's how it is.

For what it's worth, I was 2% below the boundary in 3 of those results. All I'm deciding is whether there's a chance of an interview. If I can get to that stage it's worth it, but if my application is going to get chucked in the bin without a thought, obviously I need to apply elsewhere.
Jingers
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I personally don't think you should, even though it's just 1/5. Who's to say that you won't get 4/5 and that 1/5 would've helped. TBH, I'd guestimate that 80% of those applying to Oxford will have better grades than you and still won't get in.

Don't waste your time.
JW92
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by barefootfiona)
in Oxford, the interviewers are said to (SAID TO) not look at the personal statement as much.
This is still speculation, but I'd say this is probably more true for Cambridge than Oxford.

Cambridge but much heavier emphasis on A levels - they are asking for at least one A* and ask for module breakdowns for example. They also interview nearly all applicants, so with such a great emphasis on grades and an inclusive interviewing process, it seems reasonable to assume the personal statement might carry less weight than other universities.

Oxford isn't asking for A*s, nor do they ask for module breakdowns. They also interview far less applicants than Cambridge. The university is known to take a more holistic approach to considering applications, including their own examinations, interviews, grades and an applicant's personal statement.

OP, bare in mind that Oxford had a 10.5% success rate when it came to Law applications in 2008. I'm not saying don't go for it, but be aware of just how competitive application is.
DJkG.1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
OP, bare in mind that Oxford had a 10.5% success rate when it came to Law applications in 2008. I'm not saying don't go for it, but be aware of just how competitive application is.
That's something you need to bare in mind. A lot of applicants will have shining >90% UMS in all, if not most, of their AS levels. Quite a few more will have otherwise strong As to boast about. An eerie silence when it comes to your AS grades will not help you 'stand out' to be the chosen 1 in 10 applicants who gets an offer.

Though all you have to lose is 1 place out of the 5 applications you can make... if it's worth it then by all means apply, but don't place all your hopes on Oxford. (And to be honest, I think all Oxbridge applicants could do with not placing so much emphasis on their Oxbridge shot and remembering their other 4 applications too)! :p:
kitkatz
Report 9 years ago
I'm in a very similar situation, I'm applying - it can't hurt, because I know that I haven't got a goodchance of getting an interveiw, so I'm prepared for rejection - but I'm determined to do well in my LNAT and Personal Statement, so that I can give myself the best chance I can. Good luck!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've known people who got BBCD at AS get an offer for AAA Law at Oxford and met it. So it is possible. If you didn't get your results due to laziness then you've got to ask yourself if an Oxford degree is suitable - but that isn't for me or anyone else to decide for you. Personally, if you're likely to meet your AAAA prediction, and every other aspect of the application goes well (interview, personal statement, reference, LNAT etc) then you're probably not wasting your application. If you'd like to go, you may as well give it a shot. You certainly won't get in if you don't try Good luck!

PLUS come and join the Law Applicants Thread.. link in my sig!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise