Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right - so poker's a big thing at my school, lots of betting going on. so far, it's only guys who play, and no girls. the guys apparently have this machisimo chip on their shoulder, so when we're hanging out and they whip out the deck of cards and I am forced to whisper that I don't know how to play, they laugh and roll their eyes at each other and say, "huh! women!" and refuse to teach me, at which point I stalk out of the room because I refuse to simper and fawn at how manly they are for winning $25.
    anyway, I do want to know how to play - knowing how to play poker seems like a pretty vital skill for life. like golf - which I suck at. logical conclusion -- I need poker!!!
    anybody know how? care to teach me?

ReputationRep:
    Google is your friend
    http://texasholdem.omnihosts.net/pokerrules.html

ReputationRep:
    ooh thanks man!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm i was just about to give you a comprehensive "how to play"

instead here is a tip
    Flirting at the table will make you lots of money
    I promise.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who one £80 playing this game in the common room....barsteward!!!

ReputationRep:
    no please do give me the "how to play" shpiel
    I went to the site that SsEe suggested and was confused beyond belief.
    And I want to play, not flirt!!! (Oh wait ...)

ReputationRep:
    If in doubt hold back all..........

Be a good bluff and try sometimes an all in (put all your chips in the middle)........

If you have a good hand call their bluff and try and make it seem like you're not sure, putting in small amounts like 5s and 10s..............

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dede)
    no please do give me the "how to play" shpiel
    I went to the site that SsEe suggested and was confused beyond belief.
    And I want to play, not flirt!!! (Oh wait ...)
    The best thing to do, rather than reading a load of spiel out here, is to sign up to an internet poker site, and have a play yourself.

I'll just give a quick intro to how the game works tho: each player is dealt two cards, and then 5 community cards are dealt on the table for all to see. There are several rounds of betting (pre community cards, after the first 3 are shown, after the 4th, and when the 5th is revealed). Your hand will be the best hand that you can make out of the 2 cards in your hand and the 5 community cards on the table.
    I won't go into tactics cuz that will take forever - better to have real experience.

www.pacificpoker.com offer 'play for demo money' accounts, so you play with fake money - ie you don't put down any bank details... they also have tips and so on, eg never fold if it's free to check and so on. Just a couple of rounds and you'll figure it out yourself.

Make sure you know the 'normal' rules first, as in 5 cards and best hand wins. Poker hands are in rank of:

Royal Flush > Straight Flush > Four-of-a-kind/Quad > Full House > Flush > Straight/Run > Triss/3-of-a-kind > Two pair > Pair > High card.

NB: You may have different technical names. I'm using the ones we use.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Texas Hold'em:

1. Posting the blinds: before hand is dealt, the two players left of dealer put a predetermined amount of money into the pot. This way, there is money on the deck to get things started. I'm not going to go into antes.

2. Pocket cards: Dealer shuffles deck (52 cards) then deals 2 cards, face down, to each player. These 'Pocket cards' are your hand.

3. Preflop: Round of betting, starting with the guy on the left of the two who posted the blinds. You should have decided on the betting limits of the game. As you're a beginner, keep it low or you'll be screwed over.

4. Check, raise or fold: Folding is giving up your hand if you don't think it's good enough. Raising is just raising the bet, so there's more money at stake. Checking is basically not betting, or betting '£0/$0', with the option of calling or raising later. If you 'call' the bet (or 'see' it) you put into the pot an amount of money equal to the most recent bet or raise.

5. Burn card: So people don't cheat (count the cards) the dealer discards the top card of the deck.

6. The flop: Once bet has been met, the dealer flips over the next 3 cards of the deck face up. These are communal cards that anyone can use in combination with their two pocket cards to form a poker hand (see top of post).

7. Betting: There is another round of betting starting with the player to the left of the dealer.

8. Burn card: See 5.

9. Turn card: Once the bet has been called, the dealer flips one more onto the table. Now there are 6 cards you can use (2 in your pocket hand, 4 on the table) to make a poker hand out of 5 cards.

10. Betting: See 7.

11. Burning: See 5.

12. The river: Dealer places places a final card face up on the table. This is called the river. Players can now use any of the five cards on the table or the two cards in their pocket to form a five card poker hand.

13. Betting: See 7.

14. The Showdown: All of the players remaining in the game begin to reveal their hands. This begins with the player to the left of the last player to call.

15. Player with the best hand wins (see top of post). Players with equal hands win the pot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's as simple as I can make it I'm afraid. There are another few rules, like the side pot if somebody is in the game but don't have enough money to keep betting in the main pot. There's no point in going into tactics, because it gets so ambiguous and I'd get tied in knots. Basically, the only way you can learn is to be with and watch the other people playing. Get them to explain more once you're playing. If they don't, just forget them. I can think of other things I'd rather be doing than playing Texas Hold'em in my lunch break... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dede)
    Right - so poker's a big thing at my school, lots of betting going on. so far, it's only guys who play, and no girls. the guys apparently have this machisimo chip on their shoulder, so when we're hanging out and they whip out the deck of cards and I am forced to whisper that I don't know how to play, they laugh and roll their eyes at each other and say, "huh! women!" and refuse to teach me, at which point I stalk out of the room because I refuse to simper and fawn at how manly they are for winning $25.
    anyway, I do want to know how to play - knowing how to play poker seems like a pretty vital skill for life. like golf - which I suck at. logical conclusion -- I need poker!!!
    anybody know how? care to teach me?
    u sound so cute :love: i like you

ReputationRep:
    I PMd you a rough, basic guide

(Original post by TomInPortsmouth)
    I know someone who one £80 playing this game in the common room....barsteward!!!
    I made sixty

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.