Help! - How to play music off my phone through car speakers? Watch

RB59
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey everyone.

I'm getting tired of burning countless CD's to play in my car, only to get bored of them after a while, and removing/replacing the stock head unit is not an option.

I have a nokia n82 which can stream wirelessly through bluetooth, and I can also use the headphone jack as an auxillary port.

Ideally I would like to continue to be able to use the steering mounted controls for volume and change tracks.

So any ideas?? I would be grateful.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not unless your car has Bluetooth connectivity which it doesn't sound like it does.

If you've got a tape deck you could go oldskool with a cassette tape adapter with a wire to plug into your phone, but track change would be controlled by your phone. There's not a whole lot you can do without getting a Bluetooth head unit or at least one with an aux in. My headunit with an aux in came to about £50 on amazon I think, a very nice Blaupunkt unit with 4 channel pre-amp out which isn't something you usually see on cheaper head units.
friendly_fiend2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you want to retain original headunit you could try getting a wireless audio sender. You just plug in your phone and then tune into a certain frequency on the radio.
RB59
No you're right. The standard unit doesn't have bluetooth connectivity, or an aux in. However i've read that you can buy adapters that connect to the back of the car unit and rewire this through the dash/centre console. I don't have a tape deck either, but have the wiring available for tape/minidisc as this was an optional accessory from the factory.
RB59
(Original post by friendly_fiend2)
If you want to retain original headunit you could try getting a wireless audio sender. You just plug in your phone and then tune into a certain frequency on the radio.
is the sound quality any good on these? I've never used one before. Can you link me to something suitable please?

EDIT: I also live in London, so i'm guessing it will be a struggle to find a clean frequency. I hope im wrong though.
friendly_fiend2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LUPO-Portabl..._ob_ce_title_0

Here is one, I very much doubt it will give very good quality though http://www.amazon.co.uk/LUPO-Portabl..._ob_ce_title_0

Best option is to get a usb headunit, it will be better sound quality than a factory unit usually. My Nokia n95 had a usb output, yours might? To retain steering controls with an aftermarket headunit, you'll need a steering stalk adaptor. I used to run an aux cable from my phone to my amplifiers, but I find changing tracks on a phone distracting / dangerous.
HJV
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Get a new CD player that supports mp3 CDs. When you can fit 150 songs on a CD, swapping CDs is no longer an issue.
DJW
Report 9 years ago
Unless what you want to listen to isn't one of those 150 songs...
HJV
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DJW)
Unless what you want to listen to isn't one of those 150 songs...
Then just re-burn the CD. It's not like your phone will have an infinite amount of songs on it either (well, perhaps close, if it's a Nokia N900 with 48GB memory)...
RB59
Thanks for the reponses. Though i'm afraid there is no way to get a new head unit for this car. I think someone makes a bracket but it requires extensive modification to the fascia and costs a couple hundred pounds (not to mention it wil make the interior look like ****). I think I may have found a solution though. ipod/mp3 integration module for the stock unit. It plugs in to the back and is completely hidden away. WIth a bluetooth option it will automatically pair up with my phone and I can stream audio directly. Now just have to save up some money. I failed an MOT and need 1 new tyre and ARB drop links.
friendly_fiend2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RB59)
Thanks for the reponses. Though i'm afraid there is no way to get a new head unit for this car. I think someone makes a bracket but it requires extensive modification to the fascia and costs a couple hundred pounds (not to mention it wil make the interior look like ****). I think I may have found a solution though. ipod/mp3 integration module for the stock unit. It plugs in to the back and is completely hidden away. WIth a bluetooth option it will automatically pair up with my phone and I can stream audio directly. Now just have to save up some money. I failed an MOT and need 1 new tyre and ARB drop links.
What car is it and what is the name of the bluetooth module you're looking at, just out of curiosity. The problem with using a phone as an audio source is it's more distracting then a headunit and you could get caught out by cctv / police for using your phone while driving.
RB59
I would be able to set up a playlist on my phone, only problem I think is next/previous track will have to be selected off the phone, but the volume control on the steering wheel should work as normal. Car is a Mazda RX8 and this is the bluetooth device I found.

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.ph...8&cat=1&page=1

Things would be so much easier if I had an IPOD
friendly_fiend2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RB59)
I would be able to set up a playlist on my phone, only problem I think is next/previous track will have to be selected off the phone, but the volume control on the steering wheel should work as normal. Car is a Mazda RX8 and this is the bluetooth device I found.

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.ph...8&cat=1&page=1

Things would be so much easier if I had an IPOD
That looks pretty good. Apparrently you can change tracks on headunit as long as you put the tracks into correctly named folders.http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/pages.php?pageid=5
HJV
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RB59)
I would be able to set up a playlist on my phone, only problem I think is next/previous track will have to be selected off the phone
Technically, in order to not break the law you'll need to buy a hands-free that has the music control buttons for the phone. http://c5.img.digitalriver.com/gtima...es/3758575.jpg

However, I doubt anyone would care/notice if you just press the play/pause/next buttons on the phone...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.84%
No - but I will (98)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (604)
47.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed