"Law! What do I care about the law? Ain't I got the power"--I have a question! Watch

jenna109
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
"Law! What do I care about the law? Ain't I got the power" -- Cornelius Vanderbilt

In this case, he was referring to domestic law. But could the same philosophy apply to international law?

Ok I need to answer this question. I don't even know how this quote has anything to do with domestic law, let alone international law. Can you help?

This is what I sort of think. Please tell me if I am on the right track or give me hints. Is he saying that you don't really need laws? International law does not really hold a real legislature and therefore, no real laws are enacted.
DAFOne
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Political studies:

In international relations, the division of power is different at different times. For example, currently, we are heading toward (or you could argue we already are in) a bipolar regime with the United States and China as the two world superpowers. A few years ago, were were in an unipolar system with the United States as the only superpower.

What does this mean?

Well, right now if the United States wants to do something that China categorically disapproves of, it will think twice before taking action because China theoretically has the power to deter the United States (either by force - though it is unlikely - or by politics).

This was not the case a few years ago (when the United States was the only powerful nation). See the example of the Iraq war: even though just about every nation opposed this conflagration, the United States went ahead with their plan. Why? Because nobody had the power to stop them.

This is an example of the difference between unipolarity and bipolarity. Now, referring to law, think Guantanamo Bay. Has the United States infringed upon that sacred document, The Declaration of Human Rights? Prisoners would certainly agree. Could anybody take the United States to court, hold them accountable or make them change their ways? No. Why? Because they do not have the power.

Being the only power, means that you cannot be stopped from doing whatever tickles your bone, hence you are above the law.

An abstract example: a professional boxer is in an old men's lodge. Is anybody going to get into an argument with him?

NB: as for why you cannot see how it applies to domestic law, it might be because it does not apply to the same vast extent.

Edit: hope that helps.
jenna109
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thanks...!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (477)
38.22%
No - but I will (95)
7.61%
No - I don't want to (87)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (589)
47.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise