Unirider Watch

Taru
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
There's an offer on Unirider ticket - you get the annual pass for £150 if you buy before October, it's usually £240. It seems like a great deal but what do you think, do you actually travel enough during the year for this to be cost efficient? I know it depends a lot on a person but having not lived in Canters it's hard to tell if there's anything to do in the city or do people stay mostly in the campus area..
Faustus Fotherby
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Taru)
There's an offer on Unirider ticket - you get the annual pass for £150 if you buy before October, it's usually £240. It seems like a great deal but what do you think, do you actually travel enough during the year for this to be cost efficient? I know it depends a lot on a person but having not lived in Canters it's hard to tell if there's anything to do in the city or do people stay mostly in the campus area..
When I lived on campus last year, and I'm not joking here, I left the campus like eight times... in THE ENTIRE YEAR. I never really saw the need to leave it, sure if you're in self-catered you've got shopping to do but an all day ticket costs £2 so you can just pop in when you need to for things like that. Also a lot of people in self-catered just got together as a group and ordered home delivery from Tesco's cos it negated the delivery charge.

Other than that campus has bars, The Venue, the library, social areas and all the society things so there's not a lot to leave the place for.

If you're living off-campus though the bus pass offer's a really good idea depending on where you are. If you're in Hale's place or at the bottom of Eliot hill then you can probably walk up to campus or down to town as needed, (though your legs are gonna get one hell of a work out on the uni hill), however if you're in the town centre (like me) or further out then while walking is still an option I'm thinking it'd be a lot eaier if I get a bus pass and just catch the bus near my house, cos I need to be on campus almost every day.

I guess it's just down to where you are and how much you expect to need to be on campus but I don't think anyone on campus really has much call for it. :p: Hope that helps!
Fuzzpig
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've brought one using the offer because I'm living in town.

I have also got a job in town waiting for me, so it's all going to work out great. Seems to me I'll be spending a lot of time on the bus to visit mates in halls though, from what I've heard it doesn't really go the other way round lol
kat2pult
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What is Unirider?
Fuzzpig
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's the student bus pass
Hev456
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Unirider is a yearly buspass, it covers all stagecoach buses within Kent so you can just hop on and off at will. However £150 this year?? It was £100 when i started 2 years ago, last year it was £120.

We are in DE-flation at the moment Stagecoach, take note! :mad:
Fuzzpig
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hev456)
Unirider is a yearly buspass, it covers all stagecoach buses within Kent so you can just hop on and off at will. However £150 this year?? It was £100 when i started 2 years ago, last year it was £120.

We are in DE-flation at the moment Stagecoach, take note! :mad:
You're kidding?

And the £150 is the £90 off price :mad:
Taru
Rep:
?
Oh, so they really have gone up with the prices! In Helsinki I pay over 20€ every month to use the public transport so it's almost the same as the discount price on Unirider. I think I will go to Canters more that 8 times a year though, so I have to think about this one To me there's no greater pleasure than to go shopping for food or something else, when stressed and wanting to have some "me-time" And I've heard that there are some decent pubs and clubs in downtown as well.
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I didn't buy one last year and I'm really glad. I rarely went into Canterbury and I would have made a big loss.

Although I was contemplating making my own bus pass, though.
Bexxxx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I lived on campus last year, and I wish I had bought a bus pass. I dont know how you can stay on campus ALL the time - plus there are clubs in town that I went to at least once a week. Then shopping... food (Essentials is so overpriced) eating out etc. In the first term I was glad I didnt buy a bus pass, but as the terms went on I wish I had.
Faustus Fotherby
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Bexxxx raises a good point about food being expensive to buy from Essentials but ourhouse always clubbed together to do like home delivery, guess that depends on how cooperative your housemates are.
Taru
Rep:
?
And shopping for food is so much fun! Can't do that online!
Hev456
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Taru)
And shopping for food is so much fun! Can't do that online!
lol that's one word for it, seems you buy a loaf of bread one day then buy another a few days later. I clearly need to stop eating, full stop. Then i wouldn't have to do food shopping at all!
Bexxxx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah home delivery is a good idea. Still, going into town gets you out of the UKC bubble! :p: Also, making friends with a driver is a good idea... trips to Asda! Wooo!
Taru
Rep:
?
First trip to ASDA on Sunday! The damn psych dep has arranged all their Welcome week events for Monday.. would have been a free ride to ASDA otherwise!
Bexxxx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ooo that reminds me, on the first Sunday of uni, Asda sometimes runs out of things like cheap pasta and pasta sauce. So probably best not to leave it until the last min to go... It should be okay because Christchurch went back last week, but you never know.
Em_maK
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I believe there is still the Asda bus from parkwood on a saturday...think its about £1.50?
antriver
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Faustus Fotherby)
I never really saw the need to leave it, sure if you're in self-catered you've got shopping to do but an all day ticket costs £2 so you can just pop in when you need to for things like that.
The day ticket has gone up to £2.50 >:[
Faustus Fotherby
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by antriver)
The day ticket has gone up to £2.50 >:[
Yeh I noticed that, it might explain why the year long bus pass has gone from like £120-150
Bexxxx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
£2.50 :eek:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Jun '19
  • University of Kent
    Sat, 6 Jul '19
  • University of Kent
    Sat, 5 Oct '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (194)
39.59%
No - but I will (29)
5.92%
No - I don't want to (33)
6.73%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (234)
47.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed