Why does the government treat smoking as worse than drinking? Watch

burninginme
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm just watching this report on BBC News and this fat idiot is on there banging on about how terrible it is that children under the age of 18 are smoking, and they often talk about underage smokers like the end of the world has come. The presentor then asked him somethong to the effort of "so along with cigarettes, do shops tend to sell alcohol to under 18s too?". And I also think he asked him if the fines are heavier or the same for alcohol sales to under 18 year olds

And this fat idiot stuttered, and started umming and erring, and then goes "Well, we've only done researched into tobacco sales, I'm not sure on what the figures are for alcohol sales".

And I think this sums it up perfectly, for some reason this nanny state only seem to be concerned about smoking, and not drinking. In my opinion, drinking is undoubtedly more dangerous than smoking and is known that exessive consumption of alcohol can very likely significantly impair someones judgement to the point they put themselves and others in danger, and often can cause someone to become violent.

Smoke an excesive number of cigarettes and you just cough a bit.

II think this anti-smoking propaganda has got rediculous, and I don't understand why these namby pamby government workers don't hate drinking in the same way they hate smoking.

If they were to get tough on drinking, I'm guessing that would undermine New Labour's idiotic encouragement of binge drinking and violence with their rediculous 24 hour drinking laws.

The UK government encourage kids under 18 to be fighting in the street full of alcohol, but they seem to hate the idea that an under 18 year old might be having a quiet fag.

Also, this may have changed now, but I remember seeing an advert for alcohol on TV in the morning, lol, like before 9am, and I was thinking, they would NEVER allow a advert advertising cigarettes, yet they're allowed to quite liberally advertise alcohol.

I think it is double standards, and absolutely rediculous. I will never stop smoking until the same regulations are placed on alcohol that are present on tobacco.
Rucklo
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by burninginme)
Smoke an excesive number of cigarettes and you just cough a bit.
Where i stopped reading, thats absolute rubbish.
burninginme
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Rucklo)
Where i stopped reading, thats absolute rubbish.
I'm assuming you're talking about lung cancer, and such? Yeah we all know the health risks, and don't tell me alcohol is any better.
judicious
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You are right that the government does not bang on about the risks of drinking but to claim smoking is not as bad health-wise is not they way to go about arguing your point.

Both are bad for you and you shouldn't do either... but I do agree that the government shows smoking to be bad, nasty & unnacceptable whereas on the other hand drinking is acceptable and it comes down to the culture in the UK where people accept drink.

It is a shame because if people knew of all the risks associated with drinking then they would realise how dangerous it really is not to mention the violence/fights etc associated with drinking/binge drinking.
Rucklo
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
The reason is. Smoking damages you from the start.

Drinking moderatly is fine. If your a retard and get smashed every night. You have yourself to blame when your liver packs in.
Pro
Report 9 years ago
The UK government encourage kids under 18 to be fighting in the street full of alcohol, but they seem to hate the idea that an under 18 year old might be having a quiet fag.
The government hardly encourages under 18s to fight in the street full of alcohol, I for one have never seen a advert for an alcoholic drink that promotes being drunk.

They do hate the idea of an under 18 having a quiet fag as its pretty much definitely going to lead to a shorter life as a quiet fag at 15 turns into a lot more a day at 20. There are also health effects of drinking alcohol but I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that most countries with a younger age for consumption of alcohol, have less problems with binge drinking and have more people that drink small amounts and actually see health benefits from this. So by turning a blind eye the government may be hoping that the relative freedom on drinking a younger person has, leads them to becoming a more responsible adult.
x-pixie-lottie-x
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i do believe they want to ban alcohol adverts...any time...

anndddd smoking is addictive...

drinking isnt...

my dad started smoking at 14 and still is... LOADS dispite getting asthma when he was 30 which has just gotten worse n worse n landed him in hospital a few times... those times he stopped smoking (while he was still unconscious obviously...) and for a week then he started again

but stopping drinking because it upset his stomache ulcer wasnt a problem... (he can drink again now but thats not helping my arguement....lol)

basicalllyyyyyyy............... smoking is the big taboo right now, smoking ban, raising of age limit...

drinking... is more socially accepted...

look at the amount of people who smoke and become addicted... compared to the amount of people who drink and become addicted...
x
judicious
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x)
i do believe they want to ban alcohol adverts...any time...

anndddd smoking is addictive...

drinking isnt...

my dad started smoking at 14 and still is... LOADS dispite getting asthma when he was 30 which has just gotten worse n worse n landed him in hospital a few times... those times he stopped smoking (while he was still unconscious obviously...) and for a week then he started again

but stopping drinking because it upset his stomache ulcer wasnt a problem... (he can drink again now but thats not helping my arguement....lol)

basicalllyyyyyyy............... smoking is the big taboo right now, smoking ban, raising of age limit...

drinking... is more socially accepted...

look at the amount of people who smoke and become addicted... compared to the amount of people who drink and become addicted...
x
You just contradicted yourself.... well done

Anyway, alcohol is addictive actually....
x-pixie-lottie-x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by judicious)
You just contradicted yourself.... well done

Anyway, alcohol is addictive actually....

no i didnt.... did i

not all that many people become addicted to alcohol

so would be like

smoking ________________________________ ___
drinking __________

(thats a bar chart by the way raise your hand if your impressed )

(this is just from my head by the way...)

theres surely alot more people who couldnt give up smoking than there are alcoholics...

because... like look at big brother (haha) they will pick up the ends (cant think what there called) of cigarettes out of the ash trays, but they dont go licking up spilt beer...

x
judicious
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
no i didnt.... did i

not all that many people become addicted to alcohol

so would be like

smoking ________________________________ ___
drinking __________

(thats a bar chart by the way raise your hand if your impressed )

(this is just from my head by the way...)

theres surely alot more people who couldnt give up smoking than there are alcoholics...

because... like look at big brother (haha) they will pick up the ends (cant think what there called) of cigarettes out of the ash trays, but they dont go licking up spilt beer...

x
Well you did, because at the start of your previous post you claimed that drinking wasn't addictive then at the end you said to compare the numbers of people addicted to smoking and those addicted to drinking which means drinking is addictive...

ANYWAY lol

I agree smoking is more addictive but to say that alcohol/drinking is not addictive is incorrect and it depends on different people how easily they become addicted to drinking...

I am impressed with your bar chart I must say
starcarton
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The problem with cigarettes is that there appears to be no inherent benefit to smoking them in any quantity. Smoking does nothing to alter behaviour for the better, but instead is highly addictive, causes severe health problems for the smoker and the people around them (particularly children) and is bloody expensive. In reality, the vast majority of smokers end up regretting the decision to stop smoking as it does nothing to benefit them or their family.

However, alcohol in moderation does have many benefits. For many it allows them to relax, be more sociable, and enjoy themselves by lowering inhibitions. For the social drinker alcohol is not nearly as expensive a habit, and tends not to be as addictive as smoking. There are probably a lot less addicted drinkers because an addiction to alcohol is much more socially unacceptable than an addiction to cigarettes. While of course there are dangers to alcohol abuse, most of the dangers posed are very personal- alcohol damages the drinkers body but none other; smoking damages the smokers body, and everyone else around them, this is one of the big problems.

However, the trend of 'binge drinking' in the UK (however a ridiculous term it is) has been a huge issue in the media and in government for a while now. In fact I am sick to the back teeth of waking up to hear how all teens are binge drinkers and anti-social yobs yadda yadda... I would suggest based on media coverage binge drinking has made it much more of a taboo than smoking.

And OP I'm slightly confused on your stand point really, you slate the government as a 'nanny state' and 'namby pamby' but actually want them to increase the amount they intervene in our lives by stopping drinking?? Isn't that just more of the 'nanny state' you seem not to like?
x-pixie-lottie-x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well you did, because at the start of your previous post you claimed that drinking wasn't addictive then at the end you said to compare the numbers of people addicted to smoking and those addicted to drinking which means drinking is addictive...

ANYWAY lol

I agree smoking is more addictive but to say that alcohol/drinking is not addictive is incorrect and it depends on different people how easily they become addicted to drinking...

I am impressed with your bar chart I must say
oops sorry!! ...i didnt even notice i had, thats just my poor ability at saying what i mean to say! lol

ignore what i said about it not being addictive and replace wiittthhh (id go back n edit but im wearing a towel n t'is my mums birthday so my uncles here :|)
alcohol is addictive but only to a small amount, i know this first hand? or second hand? my uncles an alcoholic does that make it first hand?
bleh i dunno.... tis too early for functioning :| ...whereas it seems to me most people who start smoking even if just one or 2 when drunk end up full blown smokers :|

Ty im very proud of it :cool:

X x x
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Both are bad for you and you shouldn't do either... .
Opinion.

I do kinda agree with the OP. I mean, on the back of baccy pouches you get all these disturbing-yet-also-amusing-at-the-same-time pictures showing what will happen in the long run should you smoke a lot.

Aside from where the guy pretends to be Batman and ends up falling off the scaffolding, I can't recall any anti-drink adverts (probably because my memory is *****).

On a tangent here, WKD adverts are often quite amusing...
Even though it's an alcopop and does absolutely nothing for me aside from taste nice, the adverts are quite good.
Drunk Punx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
alcohol is addictive but only to a small amount

whereas it seems to me most people who start smoking even if just one or 2 when drunk end up full blown smokers :|
I'm not an alcoholic, but there are times when I've thought "I could realy do with a bottle of White Star right now..." just out of boredom. If you drink by yourself just because you're bored, then that's pretty much the start of addiction. (I never have reached for the bottle just because I'm bored, by the way :p: )

As for smoking... well, if you smoke, you'd know that it would take someone a hell of a long time to get addicted. All this government propaganda that I got when I was at school saying "You get addicted after your first 10" is pure bs. I first started to feel addicted round about October/November time last year, and I'd been smoking for ages by then.

Also, I know someone else who only really smoked when drunk, and she's stopped doing it all together now.
judicious
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
oops sorry!! ...i didnt even notice i had, thats just my poor ability at saying what i mean to say! lol

ignore what i said about it not being addictive and replace wiittthhh (id go back n edit but im wearing a towel n t'is my mums birthday so my uncles here :|)
alcohol is addictive but only to a small amount, i know this first hand? or second hand? my uncles an alcoholic does that make it first hand?
bleh i dunno.... tis too early for functioning :| ...whereas it seems to me most people who start smoking even if just one or 2 when drunk end up full blown smokers :|

Ty im very proud of it :cool:

X x x
I can relate... I find it hard to convey my thoughts quite a lot too!!!

I think that makes it first hand yeah.... maybe?! but yeah I think we can agree on the fact that smoking is by far the more addictive of the two...

Happy birthday to your mum and yeah I am still half asleep and it's 1 pm here ... :p:
judicious
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Drunk Punx)
Opinion.

I do kinda agree with the OP. I mean, on the back of baccy pouches you get all these disturbing-yet-also-amusing-at-the-same-time pictures showing what will happen in the long run should you smoke a lot.

Aside from where the guy pretends to be Batman and ends up falling off the scaffolding, I can't recall any anti-drink adverts (probably because my memory is *****).

On a tangent here, WKD adverts are often quite amusing...
Even though it's an alcopop and does absolutely nothing for me aside from taste nice, the adverts are quite good.
Indeed, I thought that would be quite obvious since I was the one posting.... !
Drunk Punx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Indeed, I thought that would be quite obvious since I was the one posting.... !
Shhhhh. :p:
judicious
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Drunk Punx)
Shhhhh. :p:
:giggle:
AshMcD
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Totally stole this from me in the other smoking post!
MichaelG
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Think about the type of people who stereotypically votes for the party thats in power.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (356)
37.63%
No - but I will (74)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (66)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (450)
47.57%

Watched Threads