Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone just tell me basically what these 2 poems are about? We havent gone over these poems in great detail at all and I cant remember about Limbo - my annotations are terrible. In limbo, are they going INTO slavery or OUT of?

Thanks everyone.

ReputationRep:
    they are going into slavery. africa can be decribed as heaven and america as hell, and the ship is limbo. the africans dont know where they are going. thats what our teacher told us.

ReputationRep:
    i think what were they like is about the viatnamese war. im not sure, i'll have to look over my notes.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think they're going into slavery because The burning ground could symbolise hell and the awful life of being on a slave.

However, the dance and the beat can be seen as the heart beat of the slaves, keeping them alive.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I see, and What Were they Like? I know it's about something in Vietnam but theres not many linguistic devices, or much to write about really... :confused: I have awful annotations for this poem.

ReputationRep:
    all i know i that someone is asking questions and the poet is answering them, kind of.
    The poem is in the form of a series of questions, as a future visitor might pose them to a cultural historian. go to:

http://www.universalteacher.org.uk/a...atweretheylike

they usually have good notes on all of the poems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hatty341)
    all i know i that someone is asking questions and the poet is answering them, kind of.
    The poem is in the form of a series of questions, as a future visitor might pose them to a cultural historian. go to:

Yeh thanks, Ive read that but i really hope this isnt the poem thats in the question.

ReputationRep:
    yea u get a choice of 2 cos u can cross link both clusters

ReputationRep:
    i hope that poem doenst come up too (what were they like?), limbo i dont mind so much.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I much prefer Limbo. Does anyone know why, in Vultures, that the female vulture faces the wall in the Charnel house?

ReputationRep:
    i like what were they like. i hope island man or night of the scorion doesnt come up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hatty341)

OOh great site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)
    Yeh I much prefer Limbo. Does anyone know why, in Vultures, that the female vulture faces the wall in the Charnel house?
    in my notes i put that the woman is the personification of love and she sleeps with the vultures in the charnel house. Maybe like at the end, love exists in most evil places but doesn't tend to show it's face

ReputationRep:
    i am going onto bitesize cos i think that universal teacher is abit overly detailed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorian IV)
    in my notes i put that the woman is the personification of love and she sleeps with the vultures in the charnel house. Maybe like at the end, love exists in most evil places but doesn't tend to show it's face
    Yeh that makes sense.

(Original post by londongirl)
    i like what were they like. i hope island man or night of the scorion doesnt come up.
    How can you like it? Theres hardly anything to write about - ok if you like it you can feel free to explain it
    I much prefer Island man n night of the scorpion - so much more to write.

ReputationRep:
    I like Nothings changed and two scavengers. There's so much to write about each one

ReputationRep:
    what were they like. you can write about the form and structure, the question and answer thing. the two interpretations of the speaker in the first part - perhaps a journalist, curious, or a military leader, cos he refers to him as 'Sir'. You could talk about the way the second speaker plays on the words of stone and hearts and the different methods used to answer the questions. The rhetorical question at the end. The fading images of the moths, echos and dream. The harsh words showing the reality of war, bombs, screams and burned. the idea that war has wiped out memory, with the reptition of the words 'remember' and 'remembered'. the questions are in past tense to suggest the culture is no longer there. the sibilance of the s sound in the fifth answer to convey the idea of peace........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londongirl)
    what were they like. you can write about the form and structure, the question and answer thing. the two interpretations of the speaker in the first part - perhaps a journalist, curious, or a military leader, cos he refers to him as 'Sir'. You could talk about the way the second speaker plays on the words of stone and hearts and the different methods used to answer the questions. The rhetorical question at the end. The fading images of the moths, echos and dream. The harsh words showing the reality of war, bombs, screams and burned. the idea that war has wiped out memory, with the reptition of the words 'remember' and 'remembered'. the questions are in past tense to suggest the culture is no longer there. the sibilance of the s sound in the fifth answer to convey the idea of peace........
    Ah I see, thanks.

(Original post by Gregorian IV)
    I like Nothings changed and two scavengers. There's so much to write about each one
    Definately.

ReputationRep:
    Basically in 'what were they like' the poet is contrasting the simplicity and peacefulness of the vietnamese people, then that is totally ruined when the americans come in and destroy it.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 10, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.