Turn on thread page Beta

unofficial astrophysics exam?? watch

ReputationRep:
    hi,

just resat my astro - you guys are prob still in the exam, but how'd everyone find it? Think i got 90ish%, but it depends on how the examers interpret the english of my answers :rolleyes: - my englsih sucks!

pk

ReputationRep:
    Ive just done mine too(just astro like you). it started of really easy, then I saw the final part.
    I got it all right in the end, but I had to think about it for a while!

I wasnt sure about the IRAS question? What did you put?

ReputationRep:
    I'm so angry- teacher forgot to give me a paper and suddenly said 'Start' and I had to quickly ask for a paper, and she took so long getting one and giving it to me. And the worst thing is I need that minute to finish off the last question!!!! Wien's Law, I wrote the formula but didn't have time to do the calculation. Grr.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that there was a lot there for the time allowed! I had to rush mine and only just got it finished but about 3/4 of my center didn't finish the last two questions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottus_Mus)
    I thought that there was a lot there for the time allowed! I had to rush mine and only just got it finished but about 3/4 of my center didn't finish the last two questions!
    i learnt my lesson of poor time management from last year, and wasted no time this year - hopefully i'll get those questions on CCD's right - only thing i'm worried on.
    > what reasons did you guys put down?

i said Advantages of CCDS are
    1) can be reused
    2) more efficient - usees more incident light
    3) couldn't think of a lst one so said it is faster - more photos per session, but is sort of related to my second point so not sure about it

disadvantage i put down was that smallest grain is smaller than smallest pixel, so CCD's not good for viewing distant galaxies.

oh and the last two bits - what did you get for that?

for delta lambda maz i got something like 9.46micro metres, or something like that...anyone else get that?

i'm sort of worried about it now - need to do good in it badly, cos i know i'm gonna mess up phy 4 and the synoptic:eek:

anyone think they are valid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinghFello)
    Ive just done mine too(just astro like you). it started of really easy, then I saw the final part.
    I got it all right in the end, but I had to think about it for a while!

I wasnt sure about the IRAS question? What did you put?
    can't remember that one - jog my memory - you doing edexcel normal?

pk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    i learnt my lesson of poor time management from last year, and wasted no time this year - hopefully i'll get those questions on CCD's right - only thing i'm worried on.
    > what reasons did you guys put down?

Advantages:

1. They are cheap and easy to replace
    2. They are more eficcinet (about 70%)
    3. They provide a more linear response and can detect very dim light

Disadvantage:
    1. The grains are larger in CCDs so more grainy images are produced

threw in an extra on the end too

2.CCDs don't provide a permanant record wheras photographic emulsions do.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Scottus_Mus]
    Advantages:
    QUOTE]

wasn't even taught that one, lol

so how'd you find the paper - think you did good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    Advantages:
    wasn't even taught that one, lol

so how'd you find the paper - think you did good?
    I thought it was good part from the penultimate question. I wrote down the rearranged eqn, but I didn't have time to finish it; so i showed how to work it and labeled results T1 and T2 and said that their 4√T1 - 4√T2 ≈ 500K

I dunno if I'll get any maks for that though

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was good part from the penultimate question. I wrote down the rearranged eqn, but I didn't have time to finish it; so i showed how to work it and labeled results T1 and T2 and said that their 4√T1 - 4√T2 ≈ 500K

I dunno if I'll get any maks for that though
    methods right - wrong values i think - i got =307K which i said was ~100K

what you get for the last question?

P.S. If any of you guys are resitting stuff - do it in January - too much pressure with A2's and all if you do resits in june too (i wouldd, but i had no option, lol- my school does everything in jan:mad: I'd also reccomend resitting stuff to try and get averages up to around 89%, cos that way you'll have some slack with your A2's, cos the synoptic is a killer!

ReputationRep:
    I got a difference of 29nm i think for the last question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whatsername)
    what ws your value of T - i took delta T as being 307K

ReputationRep:
    cant be right can it? i thought you had to use lambda max . T = 2.898E-3?

if you got lambda max as being 29 nm that'd imply your temp difference was 99931 K - which is nowhere near 300K, unless i'm misunderstanding the question

ReputationRep:
    I got 328K for the change in temp.
    I cant remember the change in colour. I stupidly used the given 300K instead of my answer. I think I got about 99nm change in wavelengh. Which is about right change from yellow to orange.

So no one knows about the IRAS 3 mark question???
    Something about taking pictures of the sky using infrared in IRAS instead of doing it on the ground.

ReputationRep:
    Basically...If you take pictures outside earth's atomosphere there are no scattering and no wavelengths being absorbed by dust.

ReputationRep:
    What I meant was my difference in temperatures was about 328K - and then you had to calculate the decrease in wavelengths, using wavelength x Temp = 2.898 x 10..
    My 2 wavelengths were like 5.00 x 10^-7, and the other 5.29..x 10^-7, so the decrease was about 0.30 x 10^-7 m .. (30nm i think?)

ReputationRep:
    What I meant was my difference in temperatures was about 328K - and then you had to calculate the decrease in wavelengths, using wavelength x Temp = 2.898 x 10..
    My 2 wavelengths were like 5.00 x 10^-7, and the other 5.29..x 10^-7, so the decrease was about 0.30 x 10^-7 m .. (30nm i think?)
    everyone is getting different answers:eek:

ReputationRep:
    what did you get for the decrease in wavelength?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinghFello)
    So no one knows about the IRAS 3 mark question???
    Something about taking pictures of the sky using infrared in IRAS instead of doing it on the ground.
    the usual stuff - scattering, scope can pick wavelengths that would be absorbed by earths surface, etc.

ReputationRep:
    what did you get for the decrease in wavelength?
    using my value of 307K i got something like 9.4micro metres

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 11, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.