'Emergency' Accommodation / Payments / Freshers Watch

Jarv0
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
So I've got a couple of questions that hopefully people can assist me with.

Firstly, the emergency accommodation that king's are providing on a 12 week basis at the old King's College Hall block? If anyone else has been offered this yet, have you received any of the documentation that is required for it? I was told we'd have to make the payment over the phone once we'd received the papers through the post, but nothing has come yet and it's getting rather close to the starting day..

Secondly, does anyone know much about the location of the King's College Hall? I understand that we'll be in the older building that needs refurbishing, however what's it like in general? I'm not fussy and I really don't care about whether it has amazing carpet or any of that crap, just whether or not i'll get stabbed walking down the road. (Not that there is much I can do it about it if that is the case, since I've nowhere else to live).

I'd also be interested in talking to any undergrad computer science / combined computer science students who are also going to be staying at king's college hall so if that applies to you that'd be great! And finally (I'm trying not to make this a wall of text ...eeek)

What is the general consensus on all these freshers events / tickets? I know there are threads about it (quite a few) but all seem to say different things, I'm unsure whether to buy tickets, what even goes on during the entire freshers / enrollment process etcetc.

I understand I'm asking a lot here, but I'm assuming certain people may be able to answer certain parts of my questions, I appreciate any help / advice you guys can give me - and hopefully i'll bump into some of you in a few days
moschino
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi there,

I will leave the accommodation part of the question as I do not know very much about KCH, but I will try to answer the rest.

In terms of freshers, go to whatever seems like your cup of tea or anything that might seems too ridiculous to be true. It's because it's probably the silliest and the funniest event on offer. It's all about meeting new people, making friends etc and having fun along the way. You can either buy tickets now or just wait until you move in and meet some people and then buy some tickets to certain events. The events are very different to what they were last year (except autumn ball - apparently over rated, Truffle Shuffle - great fun, 80's style and then Phase - quite good, lots of different music you can dance to) but if you are unsure about what exactly is there on offer, call kclsu (Student's union) - they organise everything and will be able to tell you what each freshers' event is about. There will also be lots of other freshers' parties all over London like at Ministry of Sound etc - make some friends from KCL and then go with them, why not?

The enrolment process is very easy. You would have or are about to receive the info on where to enrol at what time and what to bring. All you need to do is just turn up there on the day and they will just record details such as who is paying your tuition fees and take a picture of you for your student card, give you passwords for your kcl email etc. It's not scary and works like a production line - you will go to one room and leave some info with them, then go elsewhere and take a picture etc. I can't really remember how long it takes but I think no more than an hour. And then there is the induction session run by your dept - take a notepad as they will give out lots of info, contact details, your timetable for the year etc etc.
Miss Monkey
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Jarv0)
So I've got a couple of questions that hopefully people can assist me with.

Firstly, the emergency accommodation that king's are providing on a 12 week basis at the old King's College Hall block? If anyone else has been offered this yet, have you received any of the documentation that is required for it? I was told we'd have to make the payment over the phone once we'd received the papers through the post, but nothing has come yet and it's getting rather close to the starting day..

Secondly, does anyone know much about the location of the King's College Hall? I understand that we'll be in the older building that needs refurbishing, however what's it like in general? I'm not fussy and I really don't care about whether it has amazing carpet or any of that crap, just whether or not i'll get stabbed walking down the road. (Not that there is much I can do it about it if that is the case, since I've nowhere else to live).

I'd also be interested in talking to any undergrad computer science / combined computer science students who are also going to be staying at king's college hall so if that applies to you that'd be great! And finally (I'm trying not to make this a wall of text ...eeek)

What is the general consensus on all these freshers events / tickets? I know there are threads about it (quite a few) but all seem to say different things, I'm unsure whether to buy tickets, what even goes on during the entire freshers / enrollment process etcetc.

I understand I'm asking a lot here, but I'm assuming certain people may be able to answer certain parts of my questions, I appreciate any help / advice you guys can give me - and hopefully i'll bump into some of you in a few days
KCH is not the end of the world at all, the area isn't the nicest but as long as you're careful you are unlikely to have any problems. Can't answer the questions about payments etc as am not sure how that works. Apparently some of the rooms are pretty shabby, but it's better than being homeless and everyone bonds over the moaning

I didn't buy tickets before I went because I wanted to see what other people were going to. I was in intercollegiate halls though so most people weren't going to the King's events. If I'd brought tickets it would have been a waste because I wouldn't have gone, I wanted to go out with the people in Halls. I did go to the ball which was not as great as I expected, but it was alright! It wasn't a 'ball' at all in the end, but people from my Halls all made the effort which was nice.

Good luck
Jarv0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thank's for the information, I figured King's wasn't half as bad as what people make out - ah well move in day today and I've got a lot of stuff hah
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.83%
No - but I will (115)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (699)
47.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise