?
Report 10 years ago
Kate Voegele
kayn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeeeh bwoi , ok so you want some doom , electric wizard , candlemass , saint vitus those will do for now , for some prog , rush , dream theater (listen to images and words album , mr fav of all time) pain of salvation , riverside , threshold , suspyre , spheric universe experiance ,symphony x , try some tech death such as necrophagist or atheist , some solo artists you could go for steve vai , joe satriani , victor wooten etc. also listen to tool , youll love them. try some classic prog , tangerine dream , king crimson , pink floyd and gentle giant. or some stoner such as orange goblin , high on fire , clutch. try some opeth. and cant forget black sabbath

if i was you , get "aenima" by tool , "moving pictures" by rush , "images and words and awake and scenes from a memory part 2 " by dream theater , "dopethrone" by electric wizard and something like "alien love secrets" by steve vai and listen to the guy rinse.
pinkpenguin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
David Bowie.

Trust me, you will never go back.
kayn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if you want anymore bands ask , i could name you about 3908398
AfroNathan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Try some Japanese music

Utada Hikaru - Passion

LykkeS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Skillet
Glorious Lozhka
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Diablo Swing Orchestra.

tired yet?
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Speech Debelle
tired yet?
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by pinkpenguin)
David Bowie.

Trust me, you will never go back.
I did. I got bored of him.
Sincerity?
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by python38)
I'm used to listening to bands like Linkin Park or Nickelback, singers like Rihanna or Britney Spears, or composers like Hans Zimmer or Steve Jablonsky. However, I want to try something that's completely new - can anyone recommend some songs that are different from the ones I listed?

Thanks!
Listen to these:

- Surfer Rosa by Pixies. If you like that, get Doolittle as well.
- Let It Die by Feist. It's nice yet nothing groundbreaking in terms of actual musicianship or lyrics.
- Details by Frou Frou. Just listen to it and find out for yourself!
- The Velvet Underground & Nico.

If you would like some heavier or more complex, pop in the Rock and Metal Society. :]
ormaybeitsjustnarcissism
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
These guys are complete originals. Always make me laugh, like a twisted Madness. Interesting sidenote: he trained living above a brothel for seven years to get that falsetto.

Roisin Murphy is the sexiest female mainstream electronica you could look for. Reminds me of Calvin Harris. She was in Moloko, if you don't already know them I'm sure you'll recognise Sing It Back. (Bring it back, sing it back, bring it back, sing it back to me)

I'll recommend Patrick Wolf because I push him onto everyone. Magic Position is his poppiest that I've heard so far, although not that popular with fans. It's really adorable. The violin bit that starts after he says "Hey!", the duh-duh duh-duh-duh, duh-duh duh-duh-duh-duh, I can tell you now will be in your head for weeks.

That Time by Regina Spektor. One of the few people that can make a song catchy, funny, and sad all at the same time. I wanted a New York accent for Christmas the first time I heard her album.

Prince Harry by Soho Dolls. Apparently they played Stripper in Gossip Girl? I don't watch it, I wouldn't know, but anyway I prefer this one to Stripper. I am very pissed that they got rid of the old video though, with the eighties makeup and the nighttime fight and the uberlong eyelashes. Again supercool music, if you don't listen to this and feel plain and inadequate then you obviously have more confidence than me; lend some?

President - IAMX. More sexy electro, this time from the kinkiest artist since Peaches. It's excellent live, the drums are truly hynotic. This one sticks in your head too; I often get the urge to bellow "For all you loooooooonely boys, I can be presidennnt!" in public, which can have interesting consequences.

Girl Anachronism - The Dresden Dolls. This one can be hard to like straightaway if you aren't used to them, but the speed and talent and video is easy to enjoy. It was a year before my Dad found out there were just two in the band, they make that much noise. Myspace music video because the youtube one has gone, booo. Quite a few fans go on to feel excessive Amanda Palmer love, and it isn;t hard to see why.

I Spy - Pulp. Very discordant and creepy sounding, but probably my favourite after Common People, mainly for the high level of Jarvis' inimitable brand of disdain in the lyrics. Includes my favourite verse of all time, the "My favourite parks are car parks, birds are something you shag" bit towards the end. I wish the link wasn't a Matrix fanvideo, but it was the only album version I could find. A slightly catchier one of theirs which is good (apart from Common People, everyone knows that one) is Misshapes. Actually I've just remembered I first got into them off the Trainspotting soundtrack, proper catchy and if I'm completely honest the main reason I decided to go to Queen Mary's open day last October (it's situated in Mile End)

I don't know how you feel about punk. In The Diary of Adrian Mole he says "Nigel is very into punk, but I don't see the point if you can't hear the words". I do sometimes agree, but with Poly Styrene's voice you just have to sit and marvel and never mind if you can understand her or not (some songs are easier than others). It was her band that first got me listening to punk, mainly for the memorable beginning, this is Oh Bondage! Up Yours by X-Ray Spex.

And to finish, just some straightforward electropop that got me a bucketload of rep off people when I had the lyrics and pictures in my signature (fun memories), it's Turn It Up by Robots In Disguise. The "hah-hah"s get stuck in your head too, and even my girlhating brother likes this band, so they're doing something right.

I shall try to restrain myself from posting here again as I've said loads and got far too into it as usual, but I always think of bands to recommend about a day after I've actually recommended some.
nugiboy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Tom Waits
The Procrastinator
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Aerosmith
Nirvana
Gun 'n Roses
Jimi Hendrix
David Bowie
The Who

Just go back in time...and live there like I do.
Jay Deeee
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The Temper Trap
sparkly_woo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ryan Cabrera
The Weepies

:yep:
tenement_funster
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lemonade
ou est le swimming pool
late of the pier
hadouken
ladyhawke
speech debelle(sorry about the spelling lovies)
chipmunk
little boots
pixie lott
mgmt

that sorta thing??
you seem to like pop
OneEyedYellowIdol
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A really good album out at the moment that is a bit different but has some very recognisable music on there is Electro Swing - Various Artists. Really good stuff, shouldn't be too hard to find a torrent for it!
ac132
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by python38)
I'm used to listening to bands like Linkin Park or Nickelback, singers like Rihanna or Britney Spears, or composers like Hans Zimmer or Steve Jablonsky. However, I want to try something that's completely new - can anyone recommend some songs that are different from the ones I listed?

Thanks!
Regina Spektor
Alexi Murdoch
Band of Horses
Amos Lee
The Delays
The Decemberists
Frank Turner
James Yuill
Iron and Wine
Calira
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Kamelot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (148)
60.66%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.51%
No- I want it (68)
27.87%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.97%

Watched Threads