Exersices with groin strain Watch

niki_nic
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Last week i ended up pulling my groin while working out at the gym so havent done any sort of exercise since.

However, its killing me not being able to workout as i have the genes that if i dont esercise often then i put weight on quite easily although my diet is really healthy ( im allergic to wheat so cant eat cakes and biscuits even if i wanted to).

I was wondering if there are any exercises that i could do without putting to much strain on my groin? I go to uni in 2 weeks and would like to keep my fitness up as i want to join the womens hockey team there.

I'd appreciate the advice.
taylorrrr96
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ive had problems too with groin pain. Its vital that you do stretching, secondly carry on exercising (weights) but do them lighter. Here's a link for stretching that area

http://stronglifts.com/7-dynamic-str...-hip-mobility/
ashy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Pulled my favourite muscle a while back too :yep:

I found walking painful, though, so I just didn't do anything for the week it took to recover. You don't want to strain it further. As above I'd suggest gentle stretching and maybe some light weights, just be really careful. Maybe focus on upper body for the moment.
AYE
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't cough when doing dead lifts
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just REST properly and your groin will be healed in a matter of days. Funk about and you're more likely to aggravate it and take even longer to heal, thereby being out of action for even longer.

In the meantime stick to light exercise like walking, cycling, swimming, etc.

(Original post by Force)
Ive had problems too with groin pain. Its vital that you do stretching, secondly carry on exercising (weights) but do them lighter. Here's a link for stretching that area

http://stronglifts.com/7-dynamic-str...-hip-mobility/
Not when you're injured, no. Stretching puts your muscles under tension, doing so while you're injured can actually cause further damage. By all means do it as part of your rehabilitation/injury prevention but leave it till after you've fully recovered.

Weight training through injury is a grey area. Yes some injuries can heal simply by reducing the volume (ie; overuse injuries) but equally a lot can't. In all honesty it is potentially quite dangerous recommending training through an injury. The vast majority of people (particularly those which are inexperienced) would be better off simply resting rather than risking further damage.
taylorrrr96
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
Just REST properly and your groin will be healed in a matter of days. Funk about and you're more likely to aggravate it and take even longer to heal, thereby being out of action for even longer.

In the meantime stick to light exercise like walking, cycling, swimming, etc.

Not when you're injured, no. Stretching puts your muscles under tension, doing so while you're injured can actually cause further damage. By all means do it as part of your rehabilitation/injury prevention but leave it till after you've fully recovered.

Weight training through injury is a grey area. Yes some injuries can heal simply by reducing the volume (ie; overuse injuries) but equally a lot can't. In all honesty it is potentially quite dangerous recommending training through an injury. The vast majority of people (particularly those which are inexperienced) would be better off simply resting rather than risking further damage.
As OP is asking for exercises in which he/her can do im assuming its not a serious injury and maybe just pain, something only the OP can tell. IMO he/she should do light exercise and stretching to get blood to that area and help it heal, sometimes doing nothing is worse, this is true for soreness, but if OP does have a more serious injury i.e finding it very difficult to move/walk/squat then id agree with you and stay off weights or vigorous activity for a week.
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Force)
As OP is asking for exercises in which he/her can do im assuming its not a serious injury and maybe just pain, something only the OP can tell.
Pain is a sign that you're doing yourself further damage and/or you're aggravating an existing injury, it isn't something that you should dismiss.

From the sounds of it she is eager to exercise not because she's fully recovered but because she's frustrated at being inactive which is a dangerous mix.

(Original post by Force)
IMO he/she should do light exercise and stretching to get blood to that area and help it heal, sometimes doing nothing is worse, this is true for soreness, but if OP does have a more serious injury i.e finding it very difficult to move/walk/squat then id agree with you and stay off weights or vigorous activity for a week.
It is a myth that stretching while injured aids recovery, more often than not causes further injury and/or inhibits recovery.

Like I said, and your agreed, light exercise is the way forward, not stretching and not weight training.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (322)
37.49%
No - but I will (67)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (408)
47.5%

Watched Threads