Degree certificate Watch

RBarack
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm currently completing the online enrollment for Civil Engineering at Swansea University, and i've been given the option to receive a degree from either Swansea University, or the University of Wales. This seems a little weird since Swansea and Cardiff both broke away from the UoW recently, yet I still have the option to receive a degree from the UoW.

Should I opt for the Swansea University degree for graduation, or the University of Wales one?

Thanks in advance.
thesky
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I graduated from Aberystwyth this year, and my degree is from the University of Wales. This year however current Aber students, in years 1 and 2 have been asked if they want a University of Wales or Aberystwyth University degree. Which to choose? well;

University of Wales Degrees are well respected being originally given out by Cardiff, Aber and Bangor for over 110 years and at Swansea for 90, so a university of Wales degree has allot of history. HOWEVER, this has changed in recent years with expansions in higher education. With the 'big four' (Cardiff, Aber, Swansea, Bangor) now going independent and with the fact that in the last 20 years the U of W has been validating degrees from ex polys and some suspicious 'Christian colleges' in the US, http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...orycode=402842 the U of W is going down a slippery slope of decline in prestigue. University of Wales degrees are given out by Swansea Met, Glyndwr University, UWIC, Trinity Camarthen, Newport ect all 1992 unis.

Therefore I would recommend that you should choose a Swansea degree because the University of Wales has become nothing more than a sham institution, which, if it wants to protect its once venerable reputation, should become defunct now. Having said this, it will not make much difference whatever degree you choose because when people ask where you went you just say Swansea as opposed to 'U of W' and even if you said 'U of W' then people will ask which institution you went to within Wales, also on CVs ect you put BSc, Wales (Swansea) or if you chose Swansea BSc, Swansea
Jason98
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
I thought Swansea only offered Swansea degree's from 2010 onwards?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Jun '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.82%
No - but I will (46)
6.76%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (319)
46.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed