Master in MIT Watch

lj789
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi guys i m just wondering whether good SAT results will help if i intend to do a master in MIT. they are certainly looking at GPA and 2:1 or above but how important is SAT for postgraduate admissions? I will be graduating from Imperial (BEng) whats the chance of getting in? any help will be appreciated, thanks.

ps if SAT helps I will do them this year in case i need to retake some of the modules
maxPP
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lj789)
Hi guys i m just wondering whether good SAT results will help if i intend to do a master in MIT. they are certainly looking at GPA and 2:1 or above but how important is SAT for postgraduate admissions? I will be graduating from Imperial (BEng) whats the chance of getting in? any help will be appreciated, thanks.

ps if SAT helps I will do them this year in case i need to retake some of the modules
Are you just starting your degree? Your best bet would to email postgraduate admissions at MIT.
However, if you are referring to the SATs that Americans sit to get into college (and not some other engineering specific qualification/exam) then they will probably be as important as A levels to UK postgraduate admission - which are more or less irrelevant. Even so they won't expect you to have SATs and as you will have good Alevels being at Imperial, I don't think it is something you need to worry about. It's better to concentrate on your degree. In saying that, although they say 2.1 and above that is probably the minimum requirement.
roxy potter
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't know about MIT specifically but I would assume(as this is the case for most US grad schools) that the GRE is more important and that's what you should be focused on. I also know a lot of people with firsts that have been rejected from MIT so I would assume a First is probably what you need(although different subjects will have different requirements)
TheOneWho
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
For graduate study it is the GRE that matters. But all the admissions information should be on the website. If it is not clear then e-mail the relevant people.
lj789
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by maxPP)
Are you just starting your degree? Your best bet would to email postgraduate admissions at MIT.
However, if you are referring to the SATs that Americans sit to get into college (and not some other engineering specific qualification/exam) then they will probably be as important as A levels to UK postgraduate admission - which are more or less irrelevant. Even so they won't expect you to have SATs and as you will have good Alevels being at Imperial, I don't think it is something you need to worry about. It's better to concentrate on your degree. In saying that, although they say 2.1 and above that is probably the minimum requirement.
Thanks for the advice. Yes I m just starting my degree. I know admissions to MIT would be very competitive so good SATs would perhaps help a little bit and make the difference. But if they are considered as "irrelevant" yes then i better just concentrate on my degree.
devil09
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This has come up a lot. I'll save myself some effort and quote.
(Original post by devil09)
An application to graduate school consists of
  • Application
  • Transcript
  • GRE score(s)
  • 3 letters of recommendation
  • Personal statement
  • Writing sample (not required for some fields)

Grades and GRE scores are relatively unimportant, as long as you meet the minimum for top programs (3.50 or UK 2:1, 600s) or preferably a little higher. Of course, grades and GRE scores can be extremely important in determining fellowships.

The other factors are extremely important, and this is why PhD admissions is so tricky and subjective. A good letter of recommendation has to show that you're a good student and are capable of producing valuable research. All LORs are not created equal -- a LOR from an expert in the field will count for a lot more than a letter from X professor at Random University.

Your statement of purpose is perhaps the most important part of your entire application. In one or two pages, you have to describe your academic history, your goals, exactly what you plan to study, and why you want to study at that university.

Even if you have superb grades and GRE scores, glowing recs, tons of research experience, and a focused statement of purpose....you could very well not get in. Some professors don't accept students every year, and the availability of funding varies from year to year.

A professor at Carnegie Mellon wrote an excellent overview for graduate applicants:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~harchol/gradschooltalk.pdf
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (152)
38.48%
No - but I will (22)
5.57%
No - I don't want to (28)
7.09%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (193)
48.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed