induction kit help! Watch

travis 3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
what the good thin about them?

the bad? (fuel consumption ?)

whats the best for a seat ibiza 1.2 sc (09)

or like a semi universial 1 for a seat ibiza

pleasse send link and help!

thanks
x
Steeps
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
...You've just got a recent brand new car... with one of the smallest engines possible and now you want to mod it to make it quicker. Why not just buy a quicker car in the first place?
Texan88
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Some people don't have that luxury Steeps, travis the intake won't hurt your fuel consumption it will actually help it alot, less restriction means the engine doesn't have to work as hard to get what it needs. Look into k&n I'm sure they have a drop in filter for your car
Steeps
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Luxury? It's an 09 plated car costing at least 9k, insurance on top and still cash left over to modify it.
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Steeps - he's blatantly been bought it by somebody else perhaps parents and therefore choose the engine size for him. Its pointless putting an induction kit on it the car will never be fast and you will just look (or sound) like a complete prat.
TheGimpMan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you should look into vtec kits instead, bro.
bare fast
HJV
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
An 1.2 Ibiza isn't going to be fast unless you actually swap the engine. So I wouldn't bother with it, just gonna make the OP sound like a chav.
travis 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
yeh 1.2 was the hghest allowed my paretns bought half the car. and i thought in a year or 2 i can sell it and get a 2nd hand 1.6/1.8

i cant get it insured though wiv the mod im too young 19. so i think i might use a easy fit one, if i crash get a garage to put back the normal pipe, and then the insurance comp wont know? ive tried 1 out and there is a scratch mark on the connection now though only slight.

so bascially my question is how risky is drving with this mod. i cant get the normal pipe in relatively easy if i need to get it fixed or warrenty looked at.
EGjeff
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Let the lad have some fun for christ sake.

There is no real 'bad' side to it, if its one that sits near the engine then you might actually lose a bit of power due to heat soak but nothing major.
Né Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Texan88)
Some people don't have that luxury Steeps, travis the intake won't hurt your fuel consumption it will actually help it alot, less restriction means the engine doesn't have to work as hard to get what it needs. Look into k&n I'm sure they have a drop in filter for your car
It won't help it a lot; in fact, you'll barely notice a difference in MPG. If the OP decides to drive like he stole it, then the chances are of a decrease in MPG, where alternatively there may be a slight increase driving at normal speed.

I just don't see the point in investing in an air filter that you have to maintain constantly which does nothing to your car bar perhaps hurt your engine in the long run....
-Iain-
Report 9 years ago
Unless its properly installed with a cold air feed the only thing your likely to gain is that noise you get with induction kits. Youll lose power if your just soaking up warm air as well.
TheGimpMan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by travis 3)
yeh 1.2 was the hghest allowed my paretns bought half the car. and i thought in a year or 2 i can sell it and get a 2nd hand 1.6/1.8

i cant get it insured though wiv the mod im too young 19. so i think i might use a easy fit one, if i crash get a garage to put back the normal pipe, and then the insurance comp wont know? ive tried 1 out and there is a scratch mark on the connection now though only slight.

so bascially my question is how risky is drving with this mod. i cant get the normal pipe in relatively easy if i need to get it fixed or warrenty looked at.
yeah go for it
invalidating the insurance on your brand new car is a great idea.
i can't wait to see your "omg i wrote off car" thread.
Cheshire_Tom
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Get a panel filter and keep the standard housing.
Steveo92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Né Stig)
It won't help it a lot; in fact, you'll barely notice a difference in MPG. If the OP decides to drive like he stole it, then the chances are of a decrease in MPG, where alternatively there may be a slight increase driving at normal speed.

I just don't see the point in investing in an air filter that you have to maintain constantly which does nothing to your car bar perhaps hurt your engine in the long run....
Cleaning is only required every 100,000 miles for a K&N Induction kit.
joe4wolves
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've got a K&N on my 1.25 zetec Fiesta. I don't think it adds much to the performance at all but it does sound pretty tasty when it hits 3000rpm. They definitely use more fuel, no doubt about that! EDIT: That's probably because i rev the arse off it so i can hear the air filter haha.
Steveo92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by joe4wolves)
I've got a K&N on my 1.25 zetec Fiesta. I don't think it adds much to the performance at all but it does sound pretty tasty when it hits 3000rpm. They definitely use more fuel, no doubt about that! EDIT: That's probably because i rev the arse off it so i can hear the air filter haha.
The K&N Induction kits can only add upto 10ish horse power max, it's more than likely alot less for you.
joe4wolves
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Steveo92)
The K&N Induction kits can only add upto 10ish horse power max, it's more than likely alot less for you.
Well, like i said, i just like the noise it makes. I got it out of vanity. My Fiesta dicks all my mates Corsas (i swear most of them have them) and i'll miss it in Uni
Né Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Steveo92)
Cleaning is only required every 100,000 miles for a K&N Induction kit.
http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#4

Other air filters are far worse for maintenance (pipercross).
Steveo92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Né Stig)
http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#4

Other air filters are far worse for maintenance (pipercross).
Which is why you buy K&N.
warrenpenalver
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by joe4wolves)
Well, like i said, i just like the noise it makes. I got it out of vanity. My Fiesta dicks all my mates Corsas (i swear most of them have them) and i'll miss it in Uni
So youll have a car that sounds like its doing 200mph while it crawls away from the lights at 5mph??? :rolleyes: completely pointless.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (344)
37.84%
No - but I will (72)
7.92%
No - I don't want to (65)
7.15%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (428)
47.08%

Watched Threads