Loop Hole in the ucas system for Oxbridge applications? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Jbone
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi,

So yeah, I'm reapplying to oxbridge this year and was wondering if anyone knew if the old loophole was still applicable this year.

The loop hole Im refering to is when you initially apply only to cambridge or oxford (before the 15th of october) and then at a later date (after the oxbridge deadline) you add more universities to your ucas form. The advantage of this i suppose is that these other universities have no reason to suspect you applied to oxbridge and may or may not be more willing to give you an offer...

I know a couple of students from my school last year used this. Just wanted to see if its still avaliable this year.

Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Or you could just apply to all of the universities straight away, safe in the knowledge that they won't know where else you applied and will not prejudice you in any way because of it.

Or you could just carry on wearing your tin foil hat and going to conspiracy meetings on the first sunday of every month.
MrChem
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Surely if applying to Oxbridge you'll also be applying to other competitive courses/unis - and in that case, surely applying sooner is going to benefit you.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Can't imagine why this option wouldn't be there this year. That said, you shouldn't need to feel like you did this. For as many people that say "I didn't get into X because they knew I'd applied to Oxford" (and I seriously doubt there are many people that can genuinely "know" that that was the reason for them not getting in), there are just as many (including myself) who got lots of offers from other top unis regardless of the fact that these unis could have guessed (they can't know for certain) that we were applying to Oxford or Cambridge :yes:
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
How is that a loophole?:confused: It isn't as though UCAS and the universities were unaware of the fact that applicants can add choices after sending off their application, and there is no proper evidence for the popular "universities discriminate against people who they think might be Oxbridge applicants"-myth. There's no reason why they should do this. If a university gets few applications from people who have AAA or higher, they'll want to snap up high-calibre applicants when they get them - and the only way they'll have a chance to do that will be through making them an offer, even if it means taking a gamble on them going somewhere else (which, incidentally, needn't just be Cambridge or Oxford). If on the other hand, a university usually gets lots of high-calibre applicants, they'll be aware that a lot of them will be having a stab at Oxbridge (but then again, quite a few of those universities' current students probably did too and clearly managed to receive offers anyway).
Also, if you exploit this so-called "loophole", keep in mind that you'll be depriving yourself of a very handy excuse if you get rejected by one or more of your choices.
hananana
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why would another uni reject you just because you applied to oxford? Never heard this before :s
headunderwater
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As others have said, I really doubt that a university would be less likely to accept you on the basis of you having applied to Oxbridge.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Phalanges)
Or you could just carry on wearing your tin foil hat and going to conspiracy meetings on the first sunday of every month.
:toofunny: Perhaps he is actually seeking a loopy hole?
flying twig
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
the other universities don't care. plus you've been rejected once they're probably expecting you to be again
icedsarcasm
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Also, I applied by Oct 15th last year - and I wasn't applying to Oxbridge. Application dates are not a particularly reliable way of telling if you were an Oxbridge applicant. And people do - shock horror - reject Oxbridge offers in favour of places they prefer. They won't be prejudiced against you just because the date of the application means you may possibly have applied to Oxbridge!
cpchem
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
When I was at York for interview, the tutor for admissions asked us all (as a group) how many of us had also applied to either Oxford or Cambridge. About 28/30 hands went up. He laughed... and then proceeded to say something along the lines of 'we'll still offer you all places'.

If I may, allow me to talk some sense.
(i) they cannot know that you're applying to Ox/Cam simply on the basis that your form is in before the 15th. Some schools request them in earlier, some people of their own accord submit in September... it gets it out of the way.
(ii) why would they reject you because you were applying to Ox/Cam? Given that more applicants (and good ones, too - with AAA predictions etc.) get rejected than accepted, the numbers are still in their favour insofar as your accepting the place is concerned.

There are more points to be made, but I just cba.
KumakoXsd
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They won't know if you applied to Oxbridge because there actually is no way of telling in the most obvious of ways..

Universities will not see where you applied to but they can pretty much guess from your application.
Reems
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I happen to be one of the people who believe they were rejected based on applying to Oxford.

I applied very early, 3 weeks before the deadline. The day after I applied I was declined by a top 10 university, with AAAA predictions and a good personal statement. The only two reasons I can think of is that either:

1) They could tell I had applied to Oxbridge

2) They just didn't like me

Considering my PS gained me offer's from York, Durham, Exeter and an Oxbridge interview, I have decided to rule out possibility 2...( And because option one is nicer to believe)

This being said, they could have declined me based on my PS, but I hope not
olly_springs
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think it really matters anymore. A lot of people get theirs in early anyway, and also I was told that if I applied to oxbridge I'd never get into Bristol. Bristol gave me an offer a grade below their standard offer (although Cambridge rejected me ) so personally I think it's a load of rubbish.
Tipareth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I was rejected by St Andrews, but do I think it's because I applied to Oxford? No.

I assume they just had too many good applicants...
dorian gray
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wait, I thought you could only apply to 5 Universities, how does this work?
hobnob
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dorian gray)
Wait, I thought you could only apply to 5 Universities, how does this work?
By applying to fewer than five to begin with and adding other choices later, so that eventually you end up with five as well. The clue is in the first post: "when you initially apply only to cambridge or oxford (before the 15th of october) and then at a later date (after the oxbridge deadline) you add more universities to your ucas form".
Jigglypuff
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
...you could just do what most applicants do and apply for all 5 at the same time. Just a thought.

Admissions tutors can't just assume you're applying to Oxbridge. Quite a few people in my school were predicted AAA without applying to Oxbridge. Secondly, I doubt they care if you have. They want the best applicants, if you apply to Oxbridge as well so be it.
Tyraell
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Reems)
I happen to be one of the people who believe they were rejected based on applying to Oxford.

I applied very early, 3 weeks before the deadline. The day after I applied I was declined by a top 10 university, with AAAA predictions and a good personal statement. The only two reasons I can think of is that either:

1) They could tell I had applied to Oxbridge

2) They just didn't like me

Considering my PS gained me offer's from York, Durham, Exeter and an Oxbridge interview, I have decided to rule out possibility 2...( And because option one is nicer to believe)

This being said, they could have declined me based on my PS, but I hope not
Maybe you just weren't what they were looking for? Different universities will have different criteria, and it's not really possible to meet all of them in one PS.
Jenii
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think it is worth doing this- wish I'd thought of it!

I'm sure some unis do have bias against people who have applied to Oxbridge. If they have the best course in subject X in the country after Oxbridge they'll think a top notch applicant who applies on the 20th of October has put it as his/her top choice and it might make them like the applicant more.

I think other unis reject applicants who are good if they don't think they'll pick there. For examples- everyone who applied to Oxford PPE I know was rejected from Manchester's PPE course...I seriously doubt this was because all thee applicants just weren't what Manchester were looking for.

To be fair most of this is based on anecdotal evidence but I believe it!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads