New computer details Watch

laser
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
The IC have tweeted this:

(Original post by http://twitter.com/shefinfocommons/status/3977713080)
New students can get their computer account details from the IC all this week and next, 9 - 5. See staff on the ground floor counter.
So could I go along this week (I'm visiting Sheffield anyway) even though I'm not moving in until Saturday?
Tom345
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you're going to be there anyway, I think you might as well. I don't think it's particularly hard to get them during freshers, but maybe I was just lucky to go at a time when not many people were there. (I got mine at The Edge.)
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Get it sorted as early as possible. Also going at 9am in the morning might be a plan - not many Freshers get up that early since most of them are degenerate 18 year old pissheads!
mollymustard
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You may as well, it means you can have access to your emails and MUSE quicker. You will be suprised at the amount of mail you probably already have!
cheapaschips1000
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Might be worth a shout, not a long journey eithe really.
laser
Rep:
?
Popped into the IC today and sorted it out! 'tis nifty, have applied for my parking permit and stuff Still, what's up with Sheffield usernames "acp09cjn" what? I'm going to miss my "cjn503" at York...
RosiePosiePuddingAndPie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ac is your course, the p means postgrad (I think!)
The 09 is the year you started
And cjn is your initials

I found it easier to remember once someone explained it to me like that haha
Vickydeepsecret
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh so we need to register our laptops before we can use the university internet?? Do we just have to take them to the IC to do that?
LostRiot
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Vickydeepsecret)
Oh so we need to register our laptops before we can use the university internet?? Do we just have to take them to the IC to do that?
You need to register them, but its basically like if you connect to a wifi hotspot, you connect to the network, open the internet, a page pops up, you fill it in, you wait, and thats it.

Also, I hope they've thought about the fact that you need your UCard to get into the IC. - Which you only get at registration.
mollymustard
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Vickydeepsecret)
I know I didn't have to go anywhere to physically register it, I got a CD with this thing that got me onto the University network and that was it.
laser
Rep:
?
(Original post by LostRiot)
You need to register them, but its basically like if you connect to a wifi hotspot, you connect to the network, open the internet, a page pops up, you fill it in, you wait, and thats it.

Also, I hope they've thought about the fact that you need your UCard to get into the IC. - Which you only get at registration.
Yeah, they gave me a CD when I registered at the IC. I just said I was there for registration and they waved me through
Vickydeepsecret
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Right, thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Jun '19
    Sat, 6 Jul '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.76%
No - but I will (104)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (647)
47.71%

Watched Threads