BEng or MEng after A-Levels???? Watch

ALEX229
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey guys,
I will be doing my a-levels in june 2010 so i'm applying today for university entry 2010 (Civil Engineering)....I came across courses in BEng and MEng..... and i want to be a charted civil engineer and be a ceo of a company which brings up the question should i apply for a BEng or MEng? Remember its after my a-levels so if I apply for MEng is it going to be very hard and difficult to keep up or should I apply for a course in BEng and then do masters? By the way, oxford offers Civil eningeering in MEng so do u guys think i should apply for this course at Oxford or do BEng in other unis??? do u think uni will teach MEng from the basics??? Please any comment will be cool. Thanx in advance!!!!
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
meng.
its what all employers expect these days. hardly any universities offer beng and if they do its generally got far lower entry requirements than the meng course
ashy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Do you want to go into Engineering? If yes, MEng. If not, BEng and a Masters in the field you want to go into or just get a job with the BEng.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ALEX229)
Hey guys,
I will be doing my a-levels in june 2010 so i'm applying now for university....I came across courses in BEng and MEng.....oxford offers Civil eningeering in MEng which brings up the question should i apply for this course at Oxford or do BEng in other unis??? do u think uni will teach MEng from the basics??? Please any comment will be cool. Thanx in advance!!!!
I've moved this to the Maths, Science and Technology University Courses > Engineering forum. You'll get a better response here
lm_wfc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you want ot be a chartered engineer, you can do Beng and then alot of experience and exams, or Meng and a bit or exams, so Meng is better.

Most uni's offer Meng, but oxford must only offer Meng, bath only do that too.

And they would start from the same standard as Beng.
Anon the 7th
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
MEng at Oxford
aKarma
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Meng is the way to go if you want to be an engineer when you graduate
Also, seeing as you're considering Oxford, I'd think all other unis you'll be looking at will be offering Meng as well
ALEX229
(Original post by aKarma)
Meng is the way to go if you want to be an engineer when you graduate
Also, seeing as you're considering Oxford, I'd think all other unis you'll be looking at will be offering Meng as well
well I will be finishing my a levels next year so i wanna know whether it would be ok for me to do MEng after A-Level standard or is it going to be very hard???? will oxford teach me Meng from the basics??? or should i do a course in Beng and then masters???? I'm new to this plz explain how it works......
eulerwaswrong
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Meng - if you want to become chartered you need a MEng really
onlinebacon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's just like doing a BEng in the subject then doing the final year to make it a masters...
Rucklo
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ALEX229)
well I will be finishing my a levels next year so i wanna know whether it would be ok for me to do MEng after A-Level standard or is it going to be very hard???? will oxford teach me Meng from the basics??? or should i do a course in Beng and then masters???? I'm new to this plz explain how it works......
If you can get the grades to get into Oxford. While im sure you would find the course challenging, you would be fine.
ALEX229
any more comments plz!
chessaholic
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Okay, basically you need to apply for the MEng. However, most universities that do both MEng and BEng will have the exact same start for the first two years. I am about to start MEng at Cardiff for Civil Engineering (after A levels) and for the first two years it will be exactly the same as those doing the BEng there. After the first two years you can go up/down depending upon how well you are doing then.

Obviously if Oxford or another uni only do MEng this option will not be available to you, and you should check with your courses to see whether the first two years of the courses are "common" (the same).

Good luck.

P.S Any other questions feel free to ask and/or PM me. I havent started my course yet but I'm a rather organised person if i may say so and have researched civil engineering for my own course choices over the last year or two so may be able to help with other "smallish" questions.
BluesMan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
MEng is the same as BEng for the first 2 years.

There is NO difference until you start 3rd year.

An MEng is not "harder" its just longer and has more content.

Simply put, you want to do an MEng if you have the option to.
aKarma
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Copied from my PM reply so others can see/search it later

Hey,
Engineering is slightly different than most subject in terms of masters and bachelor degrees. For engineering you really want to do a MEng course as it is the norm and otherwise it takes longer to become chartered.
The BEng courses are normally offered for less able candidates and offered at lower grade requirements.

What grades are you likely to be getting?
If its AAA etc, you'll be looking at applying to the top unis for MEng courses

For example, I applied to MEng at Cambridge, Imperial College London, Bristol, Southampton and Durham (Durham isn't a normal choice for Engineering).
Southampton, Sheffield etc offer good Meng courses with a AAB entry, whereas the other top MEng courses will be looking for AAA or some even higher.

MEng is unlikely to be harder per se, as you won't get in on a course you're not capable for and most unis do the BEng till 3rd year and MEng on the 4th year.
This means if you're on the Meng course and find it too hard, you can stop at Beng. It's much harder to upgrade later on.

Feel free to ask me any other questions you have
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (469)
38.13%
No - but I will (95)
7.72%
No - I don't want to (87)
7.07%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (579)
47.07%

Watched Threads