The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Do we really need a dinner suit?

Hey,

I was wondering if we really need to get a dinner suit for Warwick, as I don't have one atm, and didn't know if I should go and buy one. Are there enough formal black tie events to make it worth buying? Cos even the fresher's ball isn't black tie, and there don't seem to be many events that require it.

Also, for that Warwick and Coventry Freshers Ball thing that's not organised by the uni, what will most people be wearing? Should I be wearing a dinner suit to that?

I might bring my normal suit that I used to wear to school to Warwick, in case I need it for job interviews or whatnot. It's just an average suit, nothing special, and I highly doubt that it would do for formal wear.

Any useful input would be great, guys.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
An Original Username
Hey,

I was wondering if we really need to get a dinner suit for Warwick, as I don't have one atm, and didn't know if I should go and buy one. Are there enough formal black tie events to make it worth buying? Cos even the fresher's ball isn't black tie, and there don't seem to be many events that require it.

Also, for that Warwick and Coventry Freshers Ball thing that's not organised by the uni, what will most people be wearing? Should I be wearing a dinner suit to that?

I might bring my normal suit that I used to wear to school to Warwick, in case I need it for job interviews or whatnot. It's just an average suit, nothing special, and I highly doubt that it would do for formal wear.

Any useful input would be great, guys.

People don't really wear dinner suits to anything. Some people rent tuxedos for the Summer balls that happen in Term 3, but a lot of people will just wear a suit and tie to them. I agree that it would be a good idea for you to take a suit anyway, since you never know when it could come in handy.

About the other Freshers "Ball". I doubt anyone on TSR will be going to it after I posted about it last month (Check the sticky at the top of the Warwick page). To be honest, I really hope for your sake that other people will turn up, but you will find that 99%+ of people you meet on the first day will be going out in the union that night and not to Coventry (the union if free anyway). It might be worth trying to get your money back, since the whole organisation is very dodgy and the people running it have a bit of a reputation.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
I honestly don't think you'll need a proper dinner suit. Yeah, bring a suit in case you do want one for job interviews etc but I'm sure you won't need the full works.

Also, the other Freshers Ball... I wouldn't reccomend going. Everyone else will be on campus, enjoying a night at the SU, meeting all your flatmates etc. I don't know what the dress code is for the unofficial ball - I hope it doesn't happen to be honest.
Reply 3
KaramelRose
I honestly don't think you'll need a proper dinner suit. Yeah, bring a suit in case you do want one for job interviews etc but I'm sure you won't need the full works.

Also, the other Freshers Ball... I wouldn't reccomend going. Everyone else will be on campus, enjoying a night at the SU, meeting all your flatmates etc. I don't know what the dress code is for the unofficial ball - I hope it doesn't happen to be honest.

We think so alike! :eek3:
I don't mind if no one I meet or whatever goes to that ball. I've got some friends at coventry and a couple at warwick who I could go with so it should be fine.

But basically, you're saying that there's no rush to go and buy a dinner suit?
I type too slowly lol. Cheers both of you. Hmm... it's too late to get a refund for the ticket to that ball now, I'll see if anyone wants it, but I would be fine with going to it if no one would buy it from me.
Reply 6
An Original Username
I don't mind if no one I meet or whatever goes to that ball. I've got some friends at coventry and a couple at warwick who I could go with so it should be fine.

But basically, you're saying that there's no rush to go and buy a dinner suit?

Don't buy a dinner suit, rent one when the time comes if you want to.

I would strongly advise that you go to the union on the first night. The people you meet in your halls etc. on your first day may turn out to be some of your best freinds for the rest of your life, so why not enjoy your first day of uni with them? You won't regret it, whereas you will probably regret going to the sham/scam/con/maybe illegal fake ball.
FunkMasterN
We think so alike! :eek3:

I hope that's a good thing for us! "Great minds" and all that...
FunkMasterN
Don't buy a dinner suit, rent one when the time comes if you want to.

I would strongly advise that you go to the union on the first night. The people you meet in your halls etc. on your first day may turn out to be some of your best freinds for the rest of your life, so why not enjoy your first day of uni with them? You won't regret it, whereas you will probably regret going to the sham/scam/con/maybe illegal fake ball.

On my first night I am definitely going to the union. I get there on the 3rd, and the ball's on the 4th. So I will be meeting people already. Obviosuly if I was arriving on the 4th I wouldn't go to this ball. You really think I should go to the union both nights?
Reply 9
An Original Username
On my first night I am definitely going to the union. I get there on the 3rd, and the ball's on the 4th. So I will be meeting people already. Obviosuly if I was arriving on the 4th I wouldn't go to this ball. You really think I should go to the union both nights?

Most people do. Half of your hall likely won't arrive until the Sunday anyway, and that's the night you'd traditionally go tramping out there together.
It's cool, i cancelled the ticket. awesome, union on both nights is the plan then I guess. :smile:
An Original Username
It's cool, i cancelled the ticket. awesome, union on both nights is the plan then I guess. :smile:

YAY!!!!! I look forward to having a pint with you in the Union on Sunday!!!!
Reply 12
lol, it's not hogwarts, you don't have to buy everything b4 you go

when u get there, have a chat with people, see if they have got them, and if the time comes when you do need one then get one, or rent one

no need to cross that bridge till u come to it :biggrin:
An Original Username

I'm impressed, so much so that I am giving you Rep for listening to me and massaging my ego :biggrin:

See you in the Union on Saturday AND Sunday!
FunkMasterN
I'm impressed, so much so that I am giving you Rep for listening to me and massaging my ego :biggrin:

See you in the Union on Saturday AND Sunday!

haha, awesome. guess it's only fair to return the favour :biggrin: what accom u guys stayin in btw? I'm in old rootes. (or whatever blocks A-H in rootes is)
An Original Username
haha, awesome. guess it's only fair to return the favour :biggrin: what accom u guys stayin in btw? I'm in old rootes. (or whatever blocks A-H in rootes is)

Arthur Vick for me! Really pleased about it. = ) My own bath and shower baby!
cleashy
lol, it's not hogwarts, you don't have to buy everything b4 you go

when u get there, have a chat with people, see if they have got them, and if the time comes when you do need one then get one, or rent one

no need to cross that bridge till u come to it :biggrin:

yeah, but I'm sure theres plenty of uni first timers out there as well who are as worried bout what to get as me.
KaramelRose
Arthur Vick for me! Really pleased about it. = ) My own bath and shower baby!

lol, i did weigh up the advantages and disadvantages of en suite against rootes. jack martins was my second choice. in the end, i opted for rootes. halls where the fire alarm always goes off in the middle of the night? that just sounded like too much fun to pass up :smile:
Reply 18
Why don't you wear your birthday suit?
An Original Username
lol, i did weigh up the advantages and disadvantages of en suite against rootes. jack martins was my second choice. in the end, i opted for rootes. halls where the fire alarm always goes off in the middle of the night? that just sounded like too much fun to pass up :smile:

I guess I'll see you in Rootes too! They are the best by far, you'll see.

Latest

Trending

Trending