Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just done my phy1 exam, it was okish, some dodgy questions like the clock hand
    5 ^ 10^-6 J, how do u show that for 3 marks ,i just divided momentum by 9.81 ..... but 3 marks :confused:

and that average power, had no idea how to do that ,i put 2.5 somin but i think i got that one wrong aswel

Hopefully i can still improve on my 75% current grade for phy1 ( retake )

How did everyone else find it???

ReputationRep:
    yeah i agree i was pretty hard

ReputationRep:
    It was an ok paper...
    For the clock question...P.E = mgh
    m was given...gi s 9.8...h= 0.05 sin (360/60)....that gave a value of about 5.1*10^6...
    The power is equal to energy transffered per second....which is you value for P.E 5*10^6....
    Thats what I got anyway...

ReputationRep:
    I had to no clue what to do for the clock question so I used my unit 4 knowledge and said v=rw to find the speed it rotates.
    then multiply by mg and i got somethign like 5.14x10^-6 hahah

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i got the same thing- scared me at first though!!
    Hey what was the answer to the question on why gamma rays are emitted when alpha or beta rays are? hadn't a clue. It was a mean paper!

ReputationRep:
    What was the last question on the paper? Was it about deep inelastic scattering :confused: There wasn't a question after that was there?

ReputationRep:
    Fairly pecuiliar phy1 paper. Most of the key material wasn't in there, instead more detailed stuff on work done and a stupid question on how gamma-rays are always found.

I think i got about 85-90%

The clock question had me thinking for ages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrGouldie)
    Hey what was the answer to the question on why gamma rays are emitted when alpha or beta rays are? hadn't a clue. It was a mean paper!
    i blagged it, gamma => less ionisation, penetrates more => more common in radioactive atoms. Something like that.

ReputationRep:
    Cause the emission of alpha or beta particles leave the nucleus in an excited state, with extra energy. It gets rid of this surplus energy by emitting gamma rays, i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknown1557)
    Cause the emission of alpha or beta particles leave the nucleus in an excited state, with extra energy. It gets rid of this surplus energy by emitting gamma rays, i think.
    That's what I put, that the nucleus needs to rearrange itself after emitting a alpha/beta particle, and gets rid of the excess radiation by emitting gamma rays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknown1557)
    to clairify, the quesiton after that was the last one wasn't it :confused: I'm scared I missed a question

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i'm pretty sure the last question was on deep inelastic scattering

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i'm pretty sure the last question was on deep inelastic scattering
    phew!

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is that one....you didn't miss anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fisfos815)
    Yes it is that one....you didn't miss anything.
    I thought the radioactivity stuff was very easy compared to the stuff before it. I wasted a lot of time on the clock question!

ReputationRep:
    That and the velocity of the 2 balls drove me up the wall!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    Fairly pecuiliar phy1 paper. Most of the key material wasn't in there, instead more detailed stuff on work done and a stupid question on how gamma-rays are always found.

I think i got about 85-90%

The clock question had me thinking for ages.
    same

(about the clock question not the 85-90%, i cant say what i will get cos u can never tell with phy papers )

ReputationRep:
    Question about the dams. Its says in practice the velocity is faster than calculated velocity. Explain why is this?

I had no clue.

ReputationRep:
    Thank god for M2

Question about the dams. Its says in practice the velocity is faster than calculated velocity. Explain why is this?
    I put something about the turbine not being 100% efficient because of friction producing heat loses, or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tindo)
    I had no clue.
    i said some energy(some gpe) is converted into internal energy as the water the goes thru the pipes or somin like that so to have a certain final ke you need higher energy before since some will be lost

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 11, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.