Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Glad to know most people fort the same as me about the paper. Truely was quite an odd paper. I was working through it thinking where the hell are the experiments, SUVAT, energy calculations HUH HUH??? just as ive dun M1 as well and im on the ball with these mechanic stuff. The exam wer i actually revise the experiments it dnt come UP!!!! grrrr... lst time i breezed thru it thinking it will be ok and then guess what happens???? they threw in a big explantion into the paper worth like 6 marks!! this was Jan 2005 paper talking about btw. I think i made a few minor errors in this paper but not a major worry for me as I already have A in PHY1 as this is only a resit to boost marks so that I can afford to loose some in PHY5+6 ~ THE KILLER MODULES!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xstream)
    thats coz the balls are starting from rest, which eliminates the UT bit from the equation since U = 0
    Sorry but that's wrong. They are propelled with a velocity. How else would they be able to even move?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    how can you get offended over something like that? lol!

I love Rutherford.

We'd still be in the dark ages if he hadn't come along!

...Another dark age anyway.

-Kavanne

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hatcher)
    Sorry but that's wrong. They are propelled with a velocity. How else would they be able to even move?
    Yer! They do have to start with a velocity.

ReputationRep:
    anyone remember the answer roughly to average power of clock in phy1 paper?

ReputationRep:
    Btw they can't have the same horizontal magnitude because on the question it said Vb mangnitude had to be increased to get the same effect. I think they were after the vertical component, maybe cos45 degrees, im not entirely sure. But i think you guys will at least get some marks as constant acceleration formula and horizontal velocity features inthese type of questions. Good luck.
    The horizontal components of both the velocities had to be the same. In the i direction, ignoring air resistance(meaning a=0), s = ut ----> u=s/t. Since s and t are the same for both balls when they hit the ground, both of their horizontal velocities must have been the same.

The magnitude of Vb is greater as it also had a vertical component to it. The horizontal component was only worth Vcos45 of the total velocity (V). Va only had a horizontal component to it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i just looked over that, i meant the magnitude of the velocity in the diagonal direction was different in order to compensate for the cos 45 degrees in order to make the horizontal magnitude the same. I think i just typed that out a lil too quick .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sumitk87)
    anyone remember the answer roughly to average power of clock in phy1 paper?
    I think I got 1.66. I think its wrong though

ReputationRep:
    cant remember but i used

power = work done / time
    power = [f x d]/30 seconds = ???

I think i did that.

ReputationRep:
    cant remember but i used

power = work done / time
    power = [f x d]/30 seconds = ???

I think i did that.
    but why would that be average power? that would be power, i thought its somin to do with the fact that you need to apply less force hence work when it is at 15secs (horizontal) since moment would pull it down due to its wieght
    so i done some next thing and basically ended up with 2.5x10^somin :confused:
    lost 3 marks straight away there , looking back i didnt do aswel as i first thought

ReputationRep:
    i thought i was a rubbbbish paper no vuxat, hardly any rad, just questions i couldn't remeber how to do

what about the other papers everyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sumitk87)
    but why would that be average power? that would be power, i thought its somin to do with the fact that you need to apply less force hence work when it is at 15secs (horizontal) since moment would pull it down due to its wieght
    so i done some next thing and basically ended up with 2.5x10^somin :confused:
    lost 3 marks straight away there , looking back i didnt do aswel as i first thought
    because an average force was used hence the average power. [had to look at diagram and see the clock moving from bottom to top, different work done at each stage => average force]

Dont worry too much about it, the grade boundary should be really low this time and so many people messed up that question => you don't even need the prove that it equals 5x10^6J to get 90UMS/90UMS

ReputationRep:
    because an average force was used hence the average power. [had to look at diagram and see the clock moving from bottom to top, different work done at each stage => average force]

Dont worry too much about it, the grade boundary should be really low this time and so many people messed up that question => you don't even need the prove that it equals 5x10^6J to get 90UMS/90UMS
    nice (90/90), that makes me feel better , now i can go revise for my eco exams
    then 1.5 days to do phy4phy5 and p2 :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fisfos815)
    It was an ok paper...
    For the clock question...P.E = mgh
    m was given...gi s 9.8...h= 0.05 sin (360/60)....that gave a value of about 5.1*10^6...
    The power is equal to energy transffered per second....which is you value for P.E 5*10^6....
    Thats what I got anyway...
    hey shudnt you have used h=0.05tan(360/60)-maye im wrong?

anyways, how did everyone explain that stupid graph question with the projectiles

ReputationRep:
    hey shudnt you have used h=0.05tan(360/60)-maye im wrong?
    No, it's sin. The distance between the pivot and the CofG corresponds to the hypotenuse of the triangle and the height raised is the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    Time for me to revise
    ME5/ME6
    PHY4/PHY5/PHY6
    C2/C3/C4

I probably be back on the [how was phy/phy5 thread]

ReputationRep:
    I think this were I mainly lost marks in PHY1:
    - why the velocity of water is normally greater than this?
    - Why would this shape of the 2nd hand clock use less power?
    - Velocity of balls question.
    - Why is gamma radiated (energy) question

ReputationRep:
    what the HELL was the clock question? am i supposed to be able to do this? the ball question- got it wrong. the water turbine question i wrote completely random things i think i said accelerating under gravity like 17 times in this paper even though i know its wrong. i even forgot the power equation... anytime they told me a value i did random things with the info given until i got the answer and this "proved" it. not happy. think i got like 18%/30? i hope the grade boundaries are LOW. i agree with it being the weirdest paper in a long while and kinda annoys me that we even bothered doing momentum, eqns of motion etc when they were virtually non existent. at least i got the 1st 5 marks lol

ReputationRep:
    lol, when the first question is piss easy like that, that's when you have to worry because those papers are the ******* papers.

ReputationRep:
    for that average power question I just used the value we were told to prove and divided it by 30. Cant remember the answer but that was what i thought was needed as it was only 2 marks and so i don't think it needed masses of calculations.
    What a ******* paper, all the usual stuff never came up and wtf was that clock question about neway?? I reckon this was quite a 'TRICKY' paper, edexcel in this paper seemed to test a lot on the bits that people breeze through because it is either so obvious or so rare that it hardly ever comes up in past papers. All the common stuff they kinda just through away.
    BTW. for that moments q before the clock did people get sumfing like 1.333333 for part (a)?
    I got 2 revise PHY4+5 n P2 now as well... my my my, toughest exams start next week...

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 11, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.