Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i have some basic notes on limbo but i don't have any close language ones, apart from the the idea of 'dark' being repeated. i have the musical beat and rhythm of the poem, but no other specific things i could quote. especially on the second side of the poem, i have no notes. line 26 is onomatopoeia, but what effect does this have?

any other ideas? i don;'t thin i cold write to A* level with what I have on limbo.

ReputationRep:
    bump - someone??

ReputationRep:
    erm, the tone is sort of objective and impersonal, no particularly emotive words to show the mans lack of control over his slavery. The constant repetition of words is important as well, as it shows the cponstant cycle of slavery. just make up some stuff in the exam.,...or pray that it isnt a named poem!

ReputationRep:
    cheers, uve helped me loads!

ReputationRep:
    There is a huge amoutn of symbolism thrpough metaphors and similes. The word limbo iteslf is important, as it means both the dance and the place. Teh dance (hence the rhythm of the poem) is what keeps the slve going, limbo is his mantra (in italics throughtout). It also, however, symbolises where the slave is - everything dark and blurred. What once was the stick keeping beat is now thestick that whips him.

Im not eventalking about close language features here anymore, so Ill stop. Repetition is important (hence mantra) BUT CLOSE LANGUAGE FEATURES ARE OT AS IMPORTANT HERE AS IN hte otehr poems I think. Sorry about capslock didnt mean to.

ReputationRep:
    thanks. if you can't closely analyse it, then i doubt it will come up as a named poem which is okay.

ReputationRep:
    It does have some good themes though for comparison. perhaps with Nothings Changed.

ReputationRep:
    what sort of things could you write about when you compare nothings changed with limbo? one is dictatoriship and political, one is .... what could you say about limbo? anythign else you could contrast or compare?

ReputationRep:
    cultural feeling is important. In Limbo, his culture is literally burned away. he is left with nothing. In nothings changed, the man has only his culture, and is angry that segregation occurs because of this.

Contrast use of english - Nothings Changed speaks well, Limbo is unusual. I oten say that in Limbo he is struggling for bad enough words whereas in Nothings Changed he spite out the words with relish.

Both are supression and depression.

ReputationRep:
    thanks.. exam in about an hour eek

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.