Bsc or Meng Computing Watch

Shadowrising
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hello guys,
I was wondering, does it make a huge difference if you do, MEng instead of Bsc for Computer science? I heard, in most Uni's Bsc and Meng are the same, for most part of first 3 years, is it true?

Does doing MEng give you advantage in hunting for a job? Apparently most Computer science graduates only have Bcs, so what is the point in MEng?

Thanks for your time,
Shadow
laser
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Shadowrising)
Hello guys,
I was wondering, does it make a huge difference if you do, MEng instead of Bsc for Computer science? I heard, in most Uni's Bsc and Meng are the same, for most part of first 3 years, is it true?

Does doing MEng give you advantage in hunting for a job? Apparently most Computer science graduates only have Bcs, so what is the point in MEng?

Thanks for your time,
Shadow
Yes. Typically an MEng (4 year course) is respected better than a BSc/BEng (3 year course), all other factors being equal.
TheQueenOfComputerScience
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hello guys,

Thanks for your time,
Shadow
I have just completed the MEng Computer Science and I would DEFINATLY advise you to go for it, every single person from my course walked straight into a good job whereas people who just graduated with the bachelors found it alot harder.
TheSpinDoctor
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
But is there a large difference in Course Content?

I know this is laregly specific to each uni; but would there be a lot more maths/harder maths involved?
Shadowrising
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by TheQueenOfComputerScience)
I have just completed the MEng Computer Science and I would DEFINATLY advise you to go for it, every single person from my course walked straight into a good job whereas people who just graduated with the bachelors found it alot harder.
If you don't mind me asking, could you tell us which uni you went and what grade you got ( 70% +/ 60% etc)
Thankyou very much for your help
TheQueenOfComputerScience
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you don't mind me asking, could you tell us which uni you went and what grade you got ( 70% +/ 60% etc)
Thankyou very much for your help
I went to Queen's University Belfast and got 71%.
Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TheSpinDoctor)
But is there a large difference in Course Content?

I know this is laregly specific to each uni; but would there be a lot more maths/harder maths involved?
At Bristol the first 3 years are the same, except that the MEng people do a group project in 3rd year rather than an individual one. The 4th year modules are a bit harder, but not massively so. The final year project is a bit different though. For the MEng project we also had to do a business plan along side it which was worth half as much as the main part of the project (so together they count for half the year marks).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (344)
37.84%
No - but I will (72)
7.92%
No - I don't want to (65)
7.15%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (428)
47.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise