Turn on thread page Beta

How unfair is this?consider yourself all VERY lucky!! watch

ReputationRep:
    Just thought i would make myself heard by posting this message,

i'm a student from guernsey, channel islands and i applied through UCAS to 6 universities to study Occcupational Therapy. i can't study this in guernsey because we don't have any universities!! As the course is funded by the NHS i realised i might be in for a bit of a problem (we dont have the NHS over here either) so i e-mailed all uni's that offered this course before hand to check if they would accept me or not. as i expected, i got a lot of negative responses back as well as a few positives.
    so, i completed my application form with uni's that would accept channel island students and that were easy to get to (guernsey only flies to certain airports) so then, i started recieveing replies- salford, i got a conditional offer- YAY!! one down. then UWE, bristol contacted me with a questionnaire to help with their process, which i spent hours filling in because the questions were quite intense like 'think back to a time that upset you, how did you deal with your problem' so i sent that off and was subsequently offered an interview which was really good news. so i start to arrange flight and trains and taxis over there, but find out that there is only flight a day to where i need to go and its too late. so i ring up and ask if they have any other available dates, they say- hang on a second we don't actually accept channel island students!!!!! 1- i had already asked them if they did or not, which is why i applied 2- i could have easily booked flights without contacting them, i could have spent over £300 to be told of their careless mistake- so i wrote an angry letter to them informing them that they should check student's addresses before furthering their application. as you could probably sympathise- that was quite a blow and it really upset me, but it was ok beacuse my first and 2nd choices were still ok...........or so i thought! the uni that i REALLY wanted to go to was east anglia, it just seemed perfect to me i had my heart set on going there, then i got a letter telling me that they don't accept channel island students- this time i said hang on, i have an e-mail infront of me saying in black and white that you have accepted CI students in the past and it shouldn't be a problem- the response i got from the lady on the phone was that the person who e-mailed the response doesn't work there any more, she has taken over her job and cannot comment on her previous work!!!!!!! i really don't think that was fair- is it just me? so, now i had lost 2 uni's from my application- then i get an interview at derby and i get an offer, thats good news- but i as still waiting to here from Bournemouth which was the next place that i really wanted to go- i get an interview which was the best news i had in ages, i phone up and i explain all the problems i've been having and i ask them to double check that CI students would be accepted, everything was confirmed so i booked my flights and trains etc. so, i go to the airport at 5 in the morning, i check in, i get on the plane, i hear the safety demo and flying conditions.......then they have a technical fault and the flight got delayed, now that was ok because i could spare a couple of hours, there was plenty more trains to get me there on time...... so i wait but then they cancel the flight- great! so i phone up the uni and explain. but a few days later thet tell me that they can't offer me another interview therefore i am unsuccessful!!!!!!! i understand that i inconvenienced them but to dismiss me over something that clearly was not my fault i think is a little harsh. to be an occupational therapist requires determination and i think i proved i have it- to move to england, start a new life- spend a fortune on flights etc. honestly- i cried solid for that day, it was so so so horrible.
    the problem with CI students to NHS courses is that they have to pay for someone who isn't actually with them. but my local government will pay the fees for wherever i go - so why won't they accept me if they are getting the money from Guernsey? i even phoned up an NHS help line- and they couldn't tell me which uni's accepted CI students and which didn't. so its the uni's themselves that have a problem with accepting channel island students.
    if anyone is still reading this then congartulations, i dodn't realise it would be so long.
    i would love to hear people's views on this matter

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why the Univesities don't accept Channel Island students. I thought everybody had a a right to attend wherever they pleased as long as they got an offer and the grades.

ReputationRep:
    i can see how you're frustrated at the lack of decent information from unis & the NHS etc.

but unfortunately it's one of those things i suppose where NHS funding for courses is concerned.. i have a medic friend from Jersey so he gets no loan & won't get an NHS bursary etc. but then i suppose his parents won't have paid taxes towards these things..so - what can you do?

on the otherhand, it seems silly that they won't let you in, even if you/your gov pay your way? :eek: although is the LEA normally funds the balance of the tuition fees, then they might need overseas ones from you? ~£13,000 per year.

i can only recommend seeking clarification in writing (rather than email) from the person with ultimate responsibility before you reapply. or perhaps contact your gov. representative & ask for their help..?

ReputationRep:
    i know! any the funniest thing is that the local paper has been full of articles complainig of the lack of speech therapists on the island- who would have to go through the same application process as i did- so are bound to experience the same problems. also after i get my degree, i have to work in england for 3 years before i can get a job back home. so its bye bye guernsey and hello england!! guernsey has a really big finance industry so most people just do that. how boring- definately not for me!

thanks for replying!

ReputationRep:
    yeah, luckily they gave me my money back, but that doesn't really mean much to me- i still lost my place.

but i have 3 offers now, iv made my firm and insurance, both are the ones i really didnt want to go to - salford and derby. salford is my first, the idea is growing on me though so fingeres crossed!!

ReputationRep:
    thanks! thanku for reading my post!

ReputationRep:
    That's terrible :mad: It's hardly your fault that you live in the Channel Islands and there are no universities there. I can understand that your parents haven't paid taxes towards the NHS, so they shouldn't have to fund your degree, but if your government was prepared to do it, what's the problem? They let international students in as long as they pay higher fees, so why should this be any different? I think it's really unfair that you were rejected just because you couldn't get to an interview! It wasn't your fault the flight was cancelled, and you did phone up to explain. If they couldn't offer you another interview, they should have just given you the benefit of the doubt based on the information on your UCAS form. They don't interview all international students because it just wouldn't be practical, so again, why should you be treated any differently?

Well, at least you now have a firm and insurance choice, even though they're not where you really wanted to go. Unfortunately they seem to be your only options, and hopefully you'll have a great time wherever you end up Good luck getting the grades!

ReputationRep:
    aww bless ya, thats horrible! Why dont the others accept channel island students?? that is really unfair.. and its hardly your fault that they cancelled the flight! Just look at it as if they dont deserve you! If they cant help you'll probably be better off elsewhere, where they actually want you, channel island or not! x

ReputationRep:
    That's awful, feel really sorry for you, but good luck and I'm sure you will get somewhere with your determination!

(Original post by tinkerbell1108)
    the uni that i REALLY wanted to go to was east anglia, it just seemed perfect to me i had my heart set on going there, then i got a letter telling me that they don't accept channel island students- this time i said hang on, i have an e-mail infront of me saying in black and white that you have accepted CI students in the past and it shouldn't be a problem- the response i got from the lady on the phone was that the person who e-mailed the response doesn't work there any more, she has taken over her job and cannot comment on her previous work!!!!!!!
    This is a load of rubbish, the organisation as a body is responsible for the actions of it's employees - called vicarious liability. If the person that emailed you in the first place was negligent in their response and you accepted that response in good faith then they cannot brush off that liability just because they no longer employ that person.

ReputationRep:
    i know for certain that essex accepts channel island students.. as i know some...but, we dont do occupational therapy poops

ReputationRep:
    what's wrong with channel islands??? can someone explain me why they are treated differently?
    In Canary Islands we dont pay the normal taxes and we can get wherever we want to... if we pay the fees.. what is the problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitsune)
    what's wrong with channel islands??? can someone explain me why they are treated differently?
    In Canary Islands we dont pay the normal taxes and we can get wherever we want to... if we pay the fees.. what is the problem?
    anywhere? On home/EU fees for NHS funded courses? :confused: (audiology, ocupational therapy, some nursing courses, i think) i emphasised that in pink in my first post here..because this seems to be the significant thing in the situation.

although i can't understand why if the OP/her gov are willing to pay full fees it's a problem..?

edit - the NHS careers website for occupational therapy says:

Funding:
    Universities have a number of NHS-funded places for degree-level students. If you are offered one of these, then your share of the tuition fees will be paid for you. You would also be eligible for a non-means tested student loan and might be eligible for a means-tested NHS bursary.
    so basically you'd need a uni that has non-NHS places? for which i guess your gov. would have to cover the full cost.

edit again - all the uni sites contradict each other as to whether EU stduents are eligible for NHS funded courses..gah.

but, Southampton fees for:

CHANNEL ISLAND & ISLE OF MAN FEES - as notified by Universities UK
    Full Time 2005/06
    Price Group A "Clinical" courses £19,267
    http://www.soton.ac.uk/NewandCurrent...lTimeStudents/

:eek: so by some weird quirk, CI & IoM do count as differential home/overseas it seems? :eek:

in which case it'll take more than a few months of living in england, as suggested.. :rolleyes: the definitions are fairly stringent..

how bizaare..we need PQ methinks! :p:

ReputationRep:
    My friend's family live on the Isle of Man, but for the past few years she's been lodging with a family here, purely so she could get a decent secondary school education and get uni offers. Maybe you could bend the rules a bit and do something like that for a few months? Because after all, once you've got the place you'll be living at the uni anyway. Only problem is you'd probably have to wait until next year, but if it's a uni you really want to go to and you'd definitely get in (likely since you've already got offers this time around), it might be worth it.

ReputationRep:
    I think that's absolutely ridiculous. Why not accept channel island students? They're happy to accept a certain number of international students who come from *everywhere*... some of whom don't speak english as a first language, even.

I seriously think that you should take this up with some section of the government body, because refusing people a place at university like this isn't right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitsune)

but do you have the NHS there? we don't have the NHS here which is why they are reluctant to give us places, by giving me a place they could be denying someone who is with the NHS a place. some unis have a certain amount of places they can offer to CI students

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i'm from Guernsey too but the job i would like to do it is to wit ICT so am hopefully going to Porthsmouth. That is really unfair tho. Have you spoken to UCAS to see if they know of anywhere that will take CI student?

ReputationRep:
    Oh hun that's awful for you

ReputationRep:
    That's really rude of them to mess you about like that! It seems a "little" bizzare that universities don't want to take Channel Island people if their own government is paying the fees. I can't believe after you specifically found out when your application would be looked at, some of those unis who said they'd consider you changed their minds and rejected you. Grrrr :mad:

Anyway, best of luck with whatever you decide to do (punch the East Anglia people for me if you see them )

Sarah

ReputationRep:
    That's really terrible! You have my sympathy!

As has been said already, Universities accept international students, so why should coming from the Channel Islands be any different? Surely it should be even less of a factor because they are part of the United Kingdom!

ReputationRep:
    Why not take a year out and re-apply? You could come and get a job (work experience even) in England, where you would have to pay taxes, and therefore you would then be with the NHS. I re-applied last year purely because I wanted to give myself the chance to go to a better uni than the ones I had offers from. Just got a job and have been working full-time ever since.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.