Turn on thread page Beta

How unfair is this?consider yourself all VERY lucky!! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trundle)
    That's really terrible! You have my sympathy!

As has been said already, Universities accept international students, so why should coming from the Channel Islands be any different? Surely it should be even less of a factor because they are part of the United Kingdom!
    They're not, they're part of the British Isles, which is a geographical rather than political term. They don't pay UK taxes and they don't have NI numbers etc.

ReputationRep:
    I very much doubt that any foreign student would be eligiable for such NHS funded courses. It is not really acceptable however for universities to muck you around like that, it seems very unlike them, they usually bend over backwards when outside funding is involved.

Unfortunately you are not a citizen of the United Kingdom, and whilst I sympathise with your plight, these courses are not really designed for you and this is really the crux of the issue.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ChemistBoyUnfortunately you are not a citizen of the United Kingdom, and whilst I sympathise with your plight, these courses are not really designed for you and this is really the crux of the issue.[/QUOTE]

i don't undersatnd what you mean by the courses werent designed for 'me'
    are you saying that students from the channel islands shouldn't have career in the NHS? are you saying that we should't leave the island?? correct me if i'm wrong , if you mean something else but the way you said it sounds like we don't deserve it or something. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=tinkerbell1108]
    (Original post by ChemistBoyUnfortunately you are not a citizen of the United Kingdom, and whilst I sympathise with your plight, these courses are not really designed for you and this is really the crux of the issue.[/QUOTE)

i don't undersatnd what you mean by the courses werent designed for 'me'
    are you saying that students from the channel islands shouldn't have career in the NHS? are you saying that we should't leave the island?? correct me if i'm wrong , if you mean something else but the way you said it sounds like we don't deserve it or something. :confused:
    I think he just meant that whilst you're perfectly entitled to leave the island and work in the NHS, you're not entitled to NHS funding because your parents have never contributed to it through taxes, I don't see why that's a problem if your government is willing to pay though :confused:

ReputationRep:
    im going to salford!what course r u doing?

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like youve recieved some grossly unfair treatment. I was aware of the fact that channel islands residents were not eligible as 'home' or 'eu' students because of the fact the islands arent fully a part of the UK or the EU but i had no idea that certain universities would actually refuse to take you - i cannot understand why this would be. All round a pretty sad state of affairs.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if you tried talking to your lil' colony's (British overseas territory, whatever...) education department they might be able to help you out.

Join the UK or failing that, I'd recommend moving to the UK and trying to pass yourself off as a UK Citizen if that's possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)
    Maybe if you tried talking to your lil' colony's (British overseas territory, whatever...)
    [pedantry]Crown Dependency[/pedantry]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chellieosborn)
    im going to salford!what course r u doing?
    occupational therapy

ReputationRep:
    that sounds really bad! Loads of unis accept foreign students and its not a problem, so why cant you get a place???
    I guess you could move to England and hope they'll give you a place then or something.

ReputationRep:
    That's terrible! I really hope you get into Salford at least!

ReputationRep:
    I really sympatise with you, getting a good uni place is hard enough.

on another note though, is there much work for an occupational therapist in geurnsey. There can't be many still needed therapy from the occupation, after all its' 50 years ago and those numbers will sadly decrease year on year!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrism)
    [pedantry]Crown Dependency[/pedantry]

I was thinking of going for Crown Possession... then some memory of the British Overseas Territories Act popped into mind... seems that it only applied to the ones that are actually over seas though. Sensible really. Back in my day they were all bloody colonies and that's the way I likes it.

ReputationRep:
    Technically, the Channel Islands (and the IoM) aren't colonies. They're quite different legally to the overseas territories.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.