Jobs to SAVE UP for a masters? :( Watch

the_mars_volta
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Right, I'm supposed to be starting my masters next week, but there's now a strong possibility that I'll have to work and save up for a year and go next year instead .

So does anyone have any ideas of a relatively well-paid job I could do for 12 months? I am considering becoming a social care worker as I think it would be quite easy and the money is apparently quite good. I have a lot of varied experience already but doing something like working in a supermarket for year would make me want to kill myself! So, ideas anyone? Thanks
Antimatter
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Do you not want to get a CDL?
the_mars_volta
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I've applied but might well be rejected.
ExclusivelyJulian
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
I spent the summer in an internship at an IB, will pay for the majority of my Masters and the rest of the fee's will be from personal savings. Will take another internship next summer to replenish my savings whilst also writing my dissertation. Apparently learning and development doesn't come cheap!
girlplurality
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did this. I'm an admin assistant. It pays quite well and I enjoy it If you need to you could also work part-time and do your masters on a part-time basis for more financial security.
danni_bella
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Get a contract, e.g. for the government or similar. Only problem is you need to be really careful that you have a job or two lined up for when you're about to finish. That period where you have to look again can get really stressful.

I had to do this last year, and it was just when the recession started. No fun!

All the best x
danni_bella
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by girlplurality)
I did this. I'm an admin assistant. It pays quite well and I enjoy it If you need to you could also work part-time and do your masters on a part-time basis for more financial security.
Yeah this is a great suggestion too

I'm with this one, I work part time in a library and it's fine. Good pay and because it's a university library I am able to choose my hours and all that. Yay.
El Scotto
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by the_mars_volta)
Right, I'm supposed to be starting my masters next week, but there's now a strong possibility that I'll have to work and save up for a year and go next year instead .

So does anyone have any ideas of a relatively well-paid job I could do for 12 months? I am considering becoming a social care worker as I think it would be quite easy and the money is apparently quite good. I have a lot of varied experience already but doing something like working in a supermarket for year would make me want to kill myself! So, ideas anyone? Thanks

Exactly the same position I could possibly be in, have my induction on tuesday but I have no idea whether my funding will come through for it.
Apparently I have till the middle of October to decide whether I can afford it or not!

I was complacent about getting the funding also so was on a graduate internship for the summer earning minimum wage which didn't help.

Luckily I have had two ad-hoc jobs all through uni so am using one of them at the moment doing 9am till 9pm each day trying to build up my cash.

I'm currently in two minds between getting personal loan to pay my fees (which would leave me with the bill monthly) or saving for a year....

My best tip would be never to tell any employer that you're only wanting to be there for 12months. Lie your arse off to them, tell them you want to do whatever you fancy as a career, then make your excuses when the time comes to start your masters.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (366)
37.31%
No - but I will (74)
7.54%
No - I don't want to (69)
7.03%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (472)
48.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise