Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can anyone tell me how structure or form is important and effective in the following poems please:

Night of the scorpion
    Blessing
    Vultures

thanks

ReputationRep:
    **** knows.lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londongirl)
    can anyone tell me how structure or form is important and effective in the following poems please:

Night of the scorpion
    Blessing
    Vultures

thanks
    NOTS: enjambment = ongoing pain of mother
    Blessing = contrast in stanza lengths is symbolic of the difference between having water and not
    Vultures = the sudden change to the commandant allows the reader to juxtapose the two (vultures and commandant) and draw thier own opinions

ReputationRep:
    thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    What about Limbo?

ReputationRep:
    limbo is set out almost as a dance, emphasising the ambiguity of the physical dance and the man's spiritual journey thing!

ReputationRep:
    In Blessing, as said the stanzas dwell on the water, skipping the bad points (skin cracking like a pod), this relates to the ongoing theme in the poems of the ability of human nature to take pleasure in good things, even amonst poverty.

In Limbol the lines are structured almost like a song, with the slaves mantra of 'Limbo, Limbo like me' as the chorus. This is part of the steady but sad beat of the poem, as each chorus brings new worse things.

In Vultures, the four sections are part of a pondering of evil. ont know how this really helps the poem, other than to structure it. /Juxtaposition of Vultures and Commandant is important though.

ReputationRep:
    also, what about island man other than when turned sideways it looks like an island?? and even that one, what effect does that have

ReputationRep:
    all this said, Ikm still really worried about this exam.

ReputationRep:
    island man doesnt really use structure/layout much, apart from the last blunt statement which is set apart to emphasise its content (harsh reality of life etc)

ReputationRep:
    Sorry - I do cluster 2 for diff. cultures

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staylor)
    all this said, Ikm still really worried about this exam.
    Don't worry, I did poetry yesterday and it was quite easy. Just shove in a load of pretentious crap and you'll get full marks for communication and analysis. The only hard bit is the time.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londongirl)
    also, what about island man other than when turned sideways it looks like an island?? and even that one, what effect does that have
    if you turn your anthology sidewides, it is set out like waves, as the poem focuses on sea, and waves.

ReputationRep:
    Here are some things about the poems I can gather:

Blessing - The name brings religious connotations, The opening like is very visual, The word "Imagine" in the opening line of the second stanza asks the reader to "imagine" this appeals to reader, the words "the small spalsh, echo" show sibilance/very fine detail.

Vultures - The poem leaves the reader thinking, effective use of "elipses" i.e. ...., which leave the reader to make up/imagine what they think.

I am sorry if that was not enough but that is what I thought of quickly, hope it helps you.

ReputationRep:
    Also ...

Oh dam wait, got to go to school and do exam now :eek:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 10, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.