Computer gaming/geeky society? Watch

sblackwell
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Would anyone be interested in helping me form a society for computer gaming? I'm open to expanding into other forms of gaming and the like but lack as much experience...
iceagecoming
Report 9 years ago
I would! As in, I would join and want to help, although I too lack society setting-up experience. But what about the Tech Society? I'm not at UCL yet so have no idea how involved in gaming they are, but it seems they do LANs sometimes?
AntoineUK
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by iceagecoming)
I would! As in, I would join and want to help, although I too lack society setting-up experience. But what about the Tech Society? I'm not at UCL yet so have no idea how involved in gaming they are, but it seems they do LANs sometimes?
I think I'm going to join the tech society
BlueTrain
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd be up for some CS (1.6 duhhh)
Boristhethird
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
sounds good!
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm interested
JohnnytheFox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, start a CS:source society and I'll be there like a shot.
fait
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I thought UCL had a gaming society...:eek:

If you made one, I would definitely join!
sblackwell
I started in the middle of the year (complicated), but alas techsoc (my first port of call also) is "disaffiliated" so it no longer exists to all intents and purposes.
As far as experience goes I used to run the Bristol Uni Computer Gaming Society so I've got some experience there but if anyone is interested in giving me a hand it'd be much appreciated!
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd be interested in joining, i'll need some kind of outlet for gaming
sblackwell
seems theres certainly enough interest; can people email me at anmanikal (at) hotmail.com with some form of contact details and I'll try and work out where to go next depending on numbers. Some vague info on what games people like to play, if people are willing to help out organising things and anything else people can think of. I'll set up an IRC channel in a couple of days to better facilitate some realtime chat
Hylean
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would've, if I were still at UCL.

You'll need to get something like 30 signatories to show that the club will be viable and worth being funded by the union. You won't be official til next year if you get enough signatures, but that doesn't stop you forming before then and running unofficially, etc.
dmi7ry
Report 9 years ago
is it strictly gaming or other computer stuff that could be classed as geeky? :P
sblackwell
I'm mostly aiming for computer gaming, but I'm willing to compromise and also include more generic geekery - not just limited to computers.
My primary aims are:
  • *Large LAN parties (at least all day, and ideally an overnight option) around the UCL campus, possibly weekly [console] gaming in addition.
  • *Online gaming, between ourselves and against other university societies. (Not too competitive, just some friendlies to start!)
  • *Attending other LAN parties
  • *Run an active IRC channel - people are welcome to come talk to me on there anytime.
  • *Generic social outings

Mainly I'm looking to create a social atmosphere for geeks, and that's not limited to computer gaming ones. Simply put, if you think you're a geek of any form, lurk on the IRC channel and see if you meet some like minded people.
iceagecoming
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dmi7ry)
is it strictly gaming or other computer stuff that could be classed as geeky? :P
I agree with this sentiment... they could have regular gaming to keep it all together and random things going on the side? Since most people joining a gaming society will have overlapping geeky interests. That's what they do at warwick compsoc anyway, and it works well.

:woo:
Alatariel
Report 9 years ago
That sounds really fun, but I'm shy and going into my 3rd year and have only just started LAN games recently D:
sblackwell
Nothing wrong with a bit of shyness; go at your own pace and if you meet some people you feel comfortable hanging about with, more power to you!
Don't worry about not being a first year; if this can get 30 signatures and become a proper society it will attract people from all years. And in the short term once there's something to put up some flyers and posters *for* we can do that.
That said there's nothing wrong with making friends with people a few years away from you in age
fait
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sblackwell)
I'm mostly aiming for computer gaming, but I'm willing to compromise and also include more generic geekery - not just limited to computers.
My primary aims are:
  • *Large LAN parties (at least all day, and ideally an overnight option) around the UCL campus, possibly weekly [console] gaming in addition.
  • *Online gaming, between ourselves and against other university societies. (Not too competitive, just some friendlies to start!)
  • *Attending other LAN parties
  • *Run an active IRC channel - people are welcome to come talk to me on there anytime.
  • *Generic social outings

Mainly I'm looking to create a social atmosphere for geeks, and that's not limited to computer gaming ones. Simply put, if you think you're a geek of any form, lurk on the IRC channel and see if you meet some like minded people.
Some good ideas you've got there!

Although I'm not really a computer gamer, adding some handheld/console gaming activites will probably attract alot more people (myself included) so good you've included that in there.
sblackwell
I own every nintendo console since the SNES, and although I spend more time playing PC games than consoling I respect their virtues.
Mainly that 8 player mariokart over 2 projector screens is awesome, and a lot easier than getting 8 people to bring pc's to the same place!
Still waiting on people to come say hi in the IRC channel :'(
Just click the link, enter a name, hit the big connect button and start talking!
iceagecoming
Report 9 years ago
Come on the chat.

There is talk of games and LANs and pubbing, and getting together to do such things. :hoppy:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.76%
No - but I will (98)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (607)
47.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise