Need Advice [A-Level] (Please read) Watch

JAgg
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I do Business, ICT, English Literature and for my AS I got ABD ;\

'Cause of the D I'm considering dropping Literature, resitting the AS and picking up two new AS Levels, mabye something like, History/Engineering/Sociology.

I was orignally going to just resit the AS Literature in January and continue till A2 but I'm really doubting myself since the only reason I got a D overall was 'cause my coursework was a B. (I got a U in the exam)

I'm aiming for AAB but if I drop Literature I'll be aiming for AAbbb with the Bs being the literature AS resit and two new AS levels. I would then apply for unis that make offers of 'Two AS Levels as One' but I hear these are limited. Another option would be to do another year and hopefully end up with AABBb

I really don't know which route to take, I HATE Literature, the reading list for AS was imense and now the A2 is even worse I genuinely think I'm not capable of a B in this subject)

Do I just hope for the best and resit AS and do A2 English Lit or drop Lit and resit AS whilst picking up two new AS Levels.

Just looking for some advice...

Thanks
JayAyy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you can't stand English Lit, then drop it completely, but pick up one or two ASs in it's place. Don't resit any English modules as it would just put even more stress on you.

Are you considering taking a 3rd year?
JAgg
Rep:
?
(Original post by JayAyy)
If you can't stand English Lit, then drop it completely, but pick up one or two ASs in it's place. Don't resit any English modules as it would just put even more stress on you.

Are you considering taking a 3rd year?
Yeah mabye, since it seems not many make offers with Two A2s & Two AS levels instead of the normal 3 A2Levels.
moschino
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by JAgg)
I do Business, ICT, English Literature and for my AS I got ABD ;\

'Cause of the D I'm considering dropping Literature, resitting the AS and picking up two new AS Levels, mabye something like, History/Engineering/Sociology.

I was orignally going to just resit the AS Literature in January and continue till A2 but I'm really doubting myself since the only reason I got a D overall was 'cause my coursework was a B. (I got a U in the exam)

I'm aiming for AAB but if I drop Literature I'll be aiming for AAbbb with the Bs being the literature AS resit and two new AS levels. I would then apply for unis that make offers of 'Two AS Levels as One' but I hear these are limited. Another option would be to do another year and hopefully end up with AABBb

I really don't know which route to take, I HATE Literature, the reading list for AS was imense and now the A2 is even worse I genuinely think I'm not capable of a B in this subject)

Do I just hope for the best and resit AS and do A2 English Lit or drop Lit and resit AS whilst picking up two new AS Levels.

Just looking for some advice...

Thanks
I am sorry to be so harsh but:

a) There will be many modules at university which you will hate and you will have to get over that and just read, read and read until you understand, otherwise you'll fail and

b) if you find the reading at AS immense then you'll be very surprised when you get to university. The language is overly complicated in many books, some books could be condensed into a few pages but to realise that you would have needed to read them cover to cover etc. The reading at university is VAST and I really mean it. And I am not talking about studying English by the way. Also, all the texts covered at A level do have an easy explanation on line, with plenty of tips and have been evaluated by someone previously. This is not the case at university, where many books you will need to read are extremely rare and few people have heard of them, let alone evaluated them correctly. Also, there is plenty of advice and guidance on how to pass on the exam boards' websites, and you will not get that at university.
JAgg
Rep:
?
(Original post by moschino)
I am sorry to be so harsh but:

a) There will be many modules at university which you will hate and you will have to get over that and just read, read and read until you understand, otherwise you'll fail and

b) if you find the reading at AS immense then you'll be very surprised when you get to university. The language is overly complicated in many books, some books could be condensed into a few pages but to realise that you would have needed to read them cover to cover etc. The reading at university is VAST and I really mean it. And I am not talking about studying English by the way. Also, all the texts covered at A level do have an easy explanation on line, with plenty of tips and have been evaluated by someone previously. This is not the case at university, where many books you will need to read are extremely rare and few people have heard of them, let alone evaluated them correctly. Also, there is plenty of advice and guidance on how to pass on the exam boards' websites, and you will not get that at university.
Uh it's not just the reading. I see English Literature as more of a talent/skill than just hardwork. I pretty much suck at it ;\
maxfire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by JAgg)
Yeah mabye, since it seems not many make offers with Two A2s & Two AS levels instead of the normal 3 A2Levels.
Some places do. For example, QMUL are flexible in that they will swap two AS levels for an A level. So you'd only need to Have 2 A levels and 2 AS levels to get in there...
i'm no superman
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Have you not considered dropping English Literature and taking up the challenge of doing an intensive A-Level in one year?
JAgg
Rep:
?
(Original post by i'm no superman)
Have you not considered dropping English Literature and taking up the challenge of doing an intensive A-Level in one year?
Yeah I have, but which one? ;\ I cant decide.
JAgg
Rep:
?
Anyone wanna briefly expalin to me what History and Engineering A-Level consists of?
JayAyy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by JAgg)
Anyone wanna briefly expalin to me what History and Engineering A-Level consists of?
Check out the syallabus for both.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.86%
No - but I will (88)
7.52%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.78%

Watched Threads