ID or no ID at uni? Watch

jporter1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I have no ID. I am 18 and I look rather young! I am really really stuck for money atm, but I also really want to enjoy freshers week at uni as much as I can, so my dilemma is:

Should I fork out £45 for my provisional driving license for uni? Do students get ID'd much? And does student ID cards count as ID at the student bars? Afterall, you've got to be 18 to go to uni..

Thanks for any help in advance!
Helioghost
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
At Durham, I'm pretty sure the student card counts as valid ID.

There are other options than a provisional license too - you can get a Citizen Card for about 10 quid, for instance.
http://www.citizencard.com/
gm15
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
NUS card works at my uni. Though remember non-uni places may not accept NUS card as a valid ID
WelshBluebird
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It depends where you go. The SU you'll be fine at, and a lot of the more "studenty" places you'll be fine at.
But personally I would spend the money on a provisional. It's better than having the worry about not being allowed in somewhere all the time.
As for student ID being ok, most of the time I'd say no. Since you can be under 18 and be at uni.

(Original post by Awoodrow2)
At Durham, I'm pretty sure the student card counts as valid ID.

There are other options than a provisional license too - you can get a Citizen Card for about 10 quid, for instance.
http://www.citizencard.com/
Wouldn't bother with those. Most places don't accept then cos their too easily faked. If your spending money on ID, you may aswell just get a provisional IMO.
akj08
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jporter1)
I have no ID. I am 18 and I look rather young! I am really really stuck for money atm, but I also really want to enjoy freshers week at uni as much as I can, so my dilemma is:

Should I fork out £45 for my provisional driving license for uni? Do students get ID'd much? And does student ID cards count as ID at the student bars? Afterall, you've got to be 18 to go to uni..

No you don't!!
butchered_wyer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

your female and good looking...most bouncers will let you in no problem:rolleyes: however get a passport/provisional just in case
Mitothy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In a city like Manchester I'd be amazed if you didn't get ID'd everywhere you go. At Notts most clubs and bars have a blanket policy of ID-ing everyone who walks through the door and for that you need a passport or drivers licence. SU's are often slightly more leanient but I doubt the majority of the freshers week events will be held there.

You might be better off putting this in the Manchester uni forum to get an answer from people already there.
a_t
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In London you get ID'd ******* everywhere, same in Manchester, get some ID, or don't you have a passport either?
Altruistic1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You're going to Manchester, yeah?
Pretty much everywhere IDs, especially the nicer places such as Tiger Tiger, Birdcage and 5th Ave. Definitely get some ID - why not just use your passport?
Altruistic1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by butchered_wyer)
your female and good looking...most bouncers will let you in no problem:rolleyes: however get a passport/provisional just in case
nah lol, bouncers here love being dicks if they can. Unless you're on Canal street, haha.. funny stories to tell :p:
WhatTheFunk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
your need a ID, SU's may be more relax on this, but bar and clubs in town will ask for ID, if you buy drink in a shop or supermarket and look young they will ask for ID , plus your uni may ask you for ID in freshers week when you go in to register with the uni

a provisional driving license will be accepted everywhere, they last 10 years or till your 65/ 70, plus if you want to drive your need one , some over forms of ID places may get funny about
jporter1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Altruistic1)
You're going to Manchester, yeah?
Pretty much everywhere IDs, especially the nicer places such as Tiger Tiger, Birdcage and 5th Ave. Definitely get some ID - why not just use your passport?

Haven't got a passport

Right, thanks for the advice, I'll get this provisional licence !
Anon the 7th
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
surely you get a student card, which should work

but yes i would think you do need ID
QueenOfTheAmazons
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ID is invaluable!
You can get one for a tenner here: http://www.validateuk.co.uk/index.html
Having to change your plans for the night because of an ID fiasco is never fun.
Altruistic1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Haven't got a passport

Right, thanks for the advice, I'll get this provisional licence !
Definitely worth investing in ID, yeah - only get either a passport or driving licence though as they're universal (i.e accepted everywhere) others... not so much. As the guy above said, you will more than likely need some ID to pick up your keys and whatnot too...

Edit: Infact I'm more than likely going to apply for a provisional soon as carrying my passport around in jeans is pretty inconvenient.
*Sparkle*
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anon the 7th)
surely you get a student card, which should work

but yes i would think you do need ID
your student card will not work ANYWHERE apart from your student union, and if the bouncer at the door of the union is an arse or thinks you look rather young they'll ask you for more ID.
cherrylolly5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Deffo get a provisional!! I'm 19 but also look young and am regularly ID-ed! Plus, as someone in this thread mentioned, lots of places ID EVERYONE on entry! I'd get it just for the peace of mind that if someone questioned your age you cud prove it
Anon the 7th
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by *Sparkle*)
your student card will not work ANYWHERE apart from your student union, and if the bouncer at the door of the union is an arse or thinks you look rather young they'll ask you for more ID.
if it has a picture and date of birth then it should be ok though right?
Kreuzuerk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't rely on your Student Card. Just bring your passport and be careful with it.
Anatheme
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

1st thing: You're completely stupid to put your room in your sig.
2nd thing: Get and ID, it's necessary to get your student card and they ID people almost everywhere, clubs or bars in Manchester. There's no date of birth on your student card, btw, so you do need an ID
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (534)
37.82%
No - but I will (110)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.8%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (672)
47.59%

Watched Threads