Council Tax Bill Watch

montjuic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Ok so here's the problem.

Me and my GF have been living in a house following graduation and she has recently recieved a bill for council tax (about £1000) for the last year of our university course at the last house we lived at with two other people.

Now as students i know we were exempt and we assumed the landlords sorted this out for us. Having got this bill, and if the exemption form has not been submitted, is there any way we can avoid paying for that last year we were students?
Puma
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Speak with your Uni and ask for a council tax exemption certificate. Then call your local council and tell them you are a student and that you have been charged council tax. Also tell them that you have the exemption certificate from your Uni. They will probably ask you to send this to them.
Trigger
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Best thing to do is to go into the council office with evidence you were students (certificate from uni and a letter from the landlord) and they should be able to sort it for you
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
were the other 2 people students or working?
It isn't the landlord's job by the way.
montjuic
Rep:
?
Yes all 4 of us were students in that house so should be totally exempt. So hopefully I can get some kind of letter from the uni and this exemption certificate to prove i was in education for that year and bring it to my local council and that should sort it. Brill.
Rooshio
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
if both you and whoever are were full time students at the time don't worry, all you need is an official letter from your uni stating the dates you were students. show that to the council and you don't have to worry.
montjuic
Rep:
?
Excellent. Cheers for you advice!
Trigger
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No worries
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (322)
37.49%
No - but I will (67)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (408)
47.5%

Watched Threads