Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think your right about the grade boundaries, its usually
    80% A
    70% B
    60% C etc

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question that occured. You know the question on forces and motion with the girl on a rope swing, her weight was 500N and there were two tension forces acting along the rope in opposite direcions. How did people solve that to find the tension?
    I got into simultaneous equations with trigonometry to start off with but then i tried Sine rule, but i'm still not sure if it came out right. Any other ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g33k b0y)
    Just a quick question that occured. You know the question on forces and motion with the girl on a rope swing, her weight was 500N and there were two tension forces acting along the rope in opposite direcions. How did people solve that to find the tension?
    I got into simultaneous equations with trigonometry to start off with but then i tried Sine rule, but i'm still not sure if it came out right. Any other ideas?
    I resolved forces vertically and horizontally, since the girl was in equilibrium and for equilibrium, sum of forces = zero in any direction. Then I eliminated 1 tension to calculate 1 of the tensions and then used one of my equations to find the other tension. I checked my values and they worked nicely.

Why anyone would want to answer a question like that using a vector triangle, anyone knows.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean, using scale drawing isnt exactly the best way to solve tht :s I tried that first off and couldn't figure out how to solve the equation. When i used Sine rule my verticle components canceled out the 500 acting downwards so i'm hopin its ok!

ReputationRep:
    Electrons and photons and the wave papers were brilliant. but now i realise i missed out drawing the field lines on the solenoid :mad: but i cant do anything bout it now
    cant believe the first questions on both the papers though, what is the speed of the electromagnetic waves and identifying the normal!!!

ReputationRep:
    i nearly missed out that question i think a lot of people did because it was well placed. i forgot to ask what did everyone say about the ammeter reading of the wire when temperature increased.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asian cutie)
    i nearly missed out that question i think a lot of people did because it was well placed. i forgot to ask what did everyone say about the ammeter reading of the wire when temperature increased.
    I said the ammeter reading won't change , only the voltmetre p.d. Theres so many random questions that I can never be to sure of which is why my optomistic about getting an A.

ReputationRep:
    i said that to i said it would increase. well i think thats what i said

ReputationRep:
    i said would increase as well, so i hope it's right
    how did you answerthe last question about how many photons arriving per second?
    just because i just did power/energy to get it

ReputationRep:
    i cant remember but i got 2.08 (or sumfin) to 10^15.

ReputationRep:
    yep, that's what I got. Definitely to the power of 15.

ReputationRep:
    I said the ammeter reading would decrease because as the wire heats up its resistance increases due to more collisions of electrons with vibrating atoms in the wire, since I = V/R and the voltage supplied remains constant I must decrease as resistance increases.

And that was like 4 marks I hope it's right :eek:

ReputationRep:
    i know there was so many ways to reason out that question i was gettin really confused in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Yay I got the same number of photons too

At least that's one in the bag for us all

ReputationRep:
    4marks :eek: I probably lost 2 but, atleast I know for definite that resistance would have increased so thats the other two saved.

How did you all do on touch sensor circuit?
    The first part was a given but the second part calculating resistance i think it was. I did the everything I could got quite a big answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mala2k)
    I did the everything I could got quite a big answer.
    i think i got 240 kohms or somethink along those lines

ReputationRep:
    good, thats what i got. at least there's one mark for us and i might get one for the first question - 3 x 10^8 ms^-1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katykt77)
    good, thats what i got. at least there's one mark for us and i might get one for the first question - 3 x 10^8 ms^-1
    lol im sur ul get more then the 3 marks uve predicted yourself. for the ratio did u get 5? i was really confused about that question

ReputationRep:
    The last question on forces was tricky as hell, I knew velocity=gradient. But I had to think hard where to draw the tangent and what values to take.

I am glad they chose to put crap about string constant instead of Young modulus. Does any remember what the answer to the car fueling question was. It was like first time i came accross somthing like that, I just put more petrol means more mass and therefore a=f/m so acceleration would be smaller.

I really messed up on last part of AB race, How did everyone get Bs acceleration with u=80 v=80 s=120 I think. I calculated everything perfect for A but just couldnt sort out my B. a=80-80/t a=80²-80²/240
    the one equation i maaged to get was just 120=80t+ ½at² couldnt find another equation with acceleration to solve it with.

ReputationRep:
    yeh, i got 5.
    i worked out the current through the bulb, then worked out the current for the 20ohms.
    it was 3/0.6

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 12, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.