Which College? (Yes, again...Sorry!) Watch

llacerta
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I know, I know, another one of these threads, but although the college choice isn't the most important thing in the world, I figure I might as well try and apply to one that will most likely suit me (though in reality, I'll probably be happy wherever). I have visited Oxford but this was a while ago, and the only college I can distinctly remember was Magdalen- a beautiful college, but probably too big for me. So, what I'm looking for in a college is the following-

-Generally quite small and compact
-Preferably nearer the centre of Oxford
-Good food
-Traditional (I know most of them are, but I'm guessing some are more than others)
-Good community feel and good student support

I'm not sure quite how much this narrows the selection down, but more than anything I am looking for a small college with a familial feel. If anyone has any ideas, it'd be much appreciated!
Huw Davies
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In terms of being close to the centre, few colleges could honestly be considered far away - perhaps fair to call Anne's, St. Hugh's, St. Hilda's, LMH that. But they're all quite big anyway, and not particularly traditional. The Turl street colleges (Jesus\Lincoln\Exeter) are probably closest to the middle of Oxford.

Small colleges: check out the prospectus. Off the top of my head in student numbers terms, Lincoln, Teddy Hall, Jesus, Trinity (not "compact" by any means though), Corpus, Oriel come to mind.
Food: Very difficult to get reliable info, especially as people have different tastes - Worcester is consistently reckoned good, Teddy Hall and Peter's bad.
Traditional: Most of the central colleges are fairly so, except Balliol. Oriel particularly?
Good community feel: everyone loves their own college, and will say it has a great community feel. No-one spends enough time at other colleges to make much of a comment. So difficult to get reliable info.

Check out the Oxford College Pros and Cons page on the TSR wiki.
cyberdrummer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Merton. Fits all the criteria.
Turdburger
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
Corpus. Lincoln. Brasenose. Exeter. Jesus. Merton. Oriel.
DavyS
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'll throw Trinity into the mix as well.

Really, what you've posted hasn't narrowed it down much at all. Come up with some specific criteria. Want a gym? What about kitchens? Big rowing community?
llacerta
Rep:
?
(Original post by DavyS)
I'll throw Trinity into the mix as well.

Really, what you've posted hasn't narrowed it down much at all. Come up with some specific criteria. Want a gym? What about kitchens? Big rowing community?
Yeah, I figured I might've been a bit too vague...Well, a gym would be good. Kitchens don't bother me, and neither does the size of the rowing community.

I like squash, if that helps. I'm trying to think of other criteria, but my mind's gone blank.
wjcsibelius
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Turdburger)
Corpus. Lincoln. Brasenose. Exeter. Jesus. Merton. Oriel.
I don't know about a Gym, but I agree with Turburger's suggestions. University and Queens may or may not also be worth considering. You simply have to scribble down a shortlist (I found 6-8 to be a sensible number for a comfortable perusal) and visit them over a couple of days. Perhaps go to one or two that you don't expect to like in case you surprise yourself.
llacerta
Rep:
?
(Original post by wjcsibelius)
I don't know about a Gym, but I agree with Turburger's suggestions. University and Queens may or may not also be worth considering. You simply have to scribble down a shortlist (I found 6-8 to be a sensible number for a comfortable perusal) and visit them over a couple of days. Perhaps go to one or two that you don't expect to like in case you surprise yourself.
Yeah, Brasenose and Jesus are looking appealing at the moment. I'd love to go and visit, but I'm not sure if I have the time between now and the deadline, and I'm afraid that if I do go and visit I'll fall in love with the place all over again, and then I'll get horribly disappointed when I'm rejected. :p:

Thanks for the advice though, to you and to everyone else who has replied.
running from demons
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would say Lincoln, but I don't think they offer psychology (that is what you're applying to, isn't it?). Neither do Merton or Trinity, so that narrows it down a bit.
*According to my '08 prospectus
Huw Davies
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Note on living in the centre of Oxford: very few (any?) of the very central colleges are able to offer on-site accommodation throughout your degree, so it's quite likely you could end up living privately (which usually means Jericho\Cowley), or in college annexes which can be fairly "far away" too.
llacerta
Rep:
?
(Original post by Huw Davies)
Note on living in the centre of Oxford: very few (any?) of the very central colleges are able to offer on-site accommodation throughout your degree, so it's quite likely you could end up living privately (which usually means Jericho\Cowley), or in college annexes which can be fairly "far away" too.
Yeah, I noticed that on a couple of the websites. I don't really mind that too much, but I'd like the college itself to have a nice central location. Thanks for bringing up that point though, definitely worth considering!
Noise
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had pretty much the same criterias you had for picking a college and finally decided to apply at Oriel, as it guarantees accomodation for the whole 4 years. I'm applying for engineering though so no competition from me
llacerta
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noise)
I had pretty much the same criterias you had for picking a college and finally decided to apply at Oriel, as it guarantees accomodation for the whole 4 years. I'm applying for engineering though so no competition from me
That's another good point- guaranteed accomodation for the whole period of study would be great. I would've considered Oriel if they still took EP applications.
BBottle
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by llacerta)
Yeah, I figured I might've been a bit too vague...Well, a gym would be good. Kitchens don't bother me, and neither does the size of the rowing community.

I like squash, if that helps. I'm trying to think of other criteria, but my mind's gone blank.
Well Trinity has both a Gym and a Squash Court on site, and the food is pretty good (formal hall 5 nights a week). Only the first 2 years guaranteed accommodation on the central site though....
Turdburger
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Huw Davies)
Brasenose is a good bet. The college annexe is on St. Michaels Street, so very very central.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed