Beeston or Nottingham Station? Watch

Ykljdsfdg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
What's easier to move in from? Jubilee campus.
Mitothy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nottingham station.

Beeston is certainly closer for university park but I don't think there's a great deal in it for Jubilee. Besides which, if you're bringing all your stuff with you I imagine you won't be walking there, in which case the main station is far far far better for getting all forms of public transport and taxis.
simeon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nottingham.
conroe-killed-the-k8-star
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mitothy)
Nottingham station.

Beeston is certainly closer for university park but I don't think there's a great deal in it for Jubilee. Besides which, if you're bringing all your stuff with you I imagine you won't be walking there, in which case the main station is far far far better for getting all forms of public transport and taxis.
This - the transport from the City Centre is far better tbh to get to Jubilee than it is from Beeston.You'd have to catch a bus into the City I think from Beeston station in any case if you stopped there.
Dijobla
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh cack, does this mean I would've been better off getting a ticket to Beeston rather than Nottm, as I'm at University Park?

Oh, and this makes me sound as if I've never taken a train alone before lol, but I'm coming up by myself with 2-3 big luggage bags, there will be people about to help lug it into halls, right?
Joseph90
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Go to Nottingham Station and get a bus to the Uni/QMC. If you have luggage then get a taxi. It shouldn't be too expensive to get from Notts Centre to the Campus.
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd always go to Nottingham unless you live in Beeston as the transport links are much better.
Mitothy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Dijobla)
Oh cack, does this mean I would've been better off getting a ticket to Beeston rather than Nottm, as I'm at University Park?

Oh, and this makes me sound as if I've never taken a train alone before lol, but I'm coming up by myself with 2-3 big luggage bags, there will be people about to help lug it into halls, right?
If you plan on walking all the way from the station then Beeston is better (though easy to get lost from if you don't know which way the uni is). If you have even the smallest ounce of common sense, then go to the main station and get a taxi for you and your heavy luggage.

As for help lugging it into halls... it will depend which. When I was in Rutland there were all the week one reps and elected second year students who showed you to your room and answered any questions you had. They would've been perfectly happy to help anyone who was struggling. Self-catered would be different I imagine...
Dijobla
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thanks guys, I took the bus last time I went to visit but I remember there being quite a few taxis at Nottingham station so that's what I'll do.
butchered_wyer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
is university park another name for salthouse lane (dagfa house school) for anyone who lives in notts? or is it where highfields is?
Anon the 7th
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nottingham Station
Mitothy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by butchered_wyer)
is university park another name for salthouse lane (dagfa house school) for anyone who lives in notts? or is it where highfields is?
University park is the university's main campus. I think the house school you're talking about it just off the main campus, tangled up in the Broadgate accomodation complex.
butchered_wyer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Broadgate-thats the one, thank you
Mitothy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ykljdsfdg)
The west side of UP is like across the road from the station- so near UP halls and BGP.

I was just wondering if it would be easier to walk to UP and get the hopper bus rather than public transport (could be busy and I have luggage etc).

My ticket is for nottingham too, but I'm sure you can get off 1 stop before. They can't not let you out or make you wait like 5 hours for the next train to go to a station 2 mins away.

Oh also, isn't it downhill all the way to Jubilee from nottingham station. Isn't it possible to like.. roll down on my suit case!? :P
Okay well first of all, university park is certainly not just accross the road from any train station! With my mahoosive travelling backpack I think it took me a good 30 mins to walk from Beeston station to Rutland in my first year. So yeah you can get off at Beeston if you really want to but I wouldn't, and as all Beeston trains then go to Nottingham, you aren't going to have to change there or wait at all.

Yes there is quite a long downhill stretch from Nottingham city centre towards Jubilee, but you have a not insubstantial uphill before it and a deceptively long distance on the flat after it which will really start to hurt if you have luggage.

Best option if you're moving in for the first time and have luggage is go to the Nottingham station, then either get a taxi or walk literally just across the road to the city's bus centre.
philjw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nottingham Station to Jubilee Campus is 2.2 miles according to my housemate's satnav. Beeston Station to Jubilee Campus is 3.3 miles. I'd assume you'll want to get a taxi if you have luggage, so Nottingham Station is definitely the better option for Jubilee.

For University Park, Beeston is marginally closer: 2.0 miles from Beeston Rail Station to Hallward Library (taken as a midpoint for UP) and 2.8 miles from Nottingham Rail Station.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Nottingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Fri, 13 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (291)
37.55%
No - but I will (55)
7.1%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.23%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (373)
48.13%

Watched Threads