Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    not sure if anyone has started this thread but.....

anyone sitting the m4m exam?

i was wondering if anyone wanted to do a little bit 'online revision' to help each other out a bit. What possible questions might come up etc.

My teachers have told me that a question about women or Isabella might come up, i hope it does!

so if anyone wants any help on this area i will be happy to help

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, my teacher suggested the function of minor characters???

Oh and does anyone know what January 2005 questions were?

Jen

ReputationRep:
    im so badly going to suck at this exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenny_Cambridge)
    Hey guys, my teacher suggested the function of minor characters???

Oh and does anyone know what January 2005 questions were?

Jen
    are you talking about characters as foils? or parallel storylines? because i think that was one of the questions in the Januray paper. It's quite annoying really because our class spent a good few lessons on it then we realised it had already been on :rolleyes:

i really really hope that one of the questions will be on either the role of women or comparing. Or maybe even a question on Isabella. I have been reading through some of my essays on Isabella and have a really good understanding of her so if it doesn't come up i'm going to be well peeved.

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking that exam too - ooh, I hope an Isabella/women question comes up too! How many character/theme quotes have you/do you intend to learn as exam prep? I still have loads of revision to do on it sadly.

ReputationRep:
    ok well in the June 2004 the two questions was that of Lucio and his role as a fantastic and the other question was that of the title 'measure for measure'

if you go here (unit 5) they have all the past questions:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/engLiB_assess.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White_redrose)
    I'm taking that exam too - ooh, I hope an Isabella/women question comes up too! How many character/theme quotes have you/do you intend to learn as exam prep? I still have loads of revision to do on it sadly.

lol well i'm not going to go over board in terms of quote learning but some useful ones i think would be:

Isabella:
    - 'wishing a more strict restraint'
    - 'if he had been as you and you as he' - asking Angelo to step into Claudio's shoes, therefore showing that she can think selflessly
    - 'For which i must not plead, but that i must;For which i must not plead but i am'
    - 'condemn the act not the man'
    - 'beast...faithless coward! dishonest wretch!' (when Claudio asks Isabella to sleep with Claudio
    - 'more than our brother is our chastity'
    - 'th'impression of keen whips i'd wear as rubies, and strip myself to death as to a bed'

Claudio about Isabella:
    - she will 'move men..she will play...she can persuade'

Lucio:
    - 'Hail virgin, if you be' hehe i love that quote
    'enskied and sainted' (about Isabella)

Thank you!! Finally a thread about Measure for Measure and some other people sitting the exam...

My teacher hasn't tried to question spot but she did provide us with a sheet of LOTS of questions she had come up with in addition to past questions!! I hope that a women/Isabella question does not come up..but now everyone is talking about it maybe I shall look over that.. :p:

Can anyone explain the theme of Grace and Nature to me? I was trying to do one of my teachers questions on it and the introduction to my copy just confused me!!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any essays they have written on Measure for Measure that they could publish? I thought it would be cool as we could share ideas etc. If I have time I will type up my handwritten essays

Jen x

ReputationRep:
    Search on Yahoo (or probably any search engine) for Measure for Measure and you will find loads of stuff to help, from criticism to quotations. Oh, the Internet...

Question about role of women would be cool. Or the lower orders. Or disguise, but I think that was on not long ago.

Grace and nature, hmm...maybe Divine Right of Kings versus humanity of Duke? Conflict within Isabella? Dunno! Could you maybe put up the questions your teacher gave you?

Here are some of the questions on the sheet my teacher gave me....

While disguise and misunderstandings are the stuff of comedy, it is the darker and far more serious aspects of life which predominate in Measure for Measure. How far do you agree?

How effective are the Duke, Angelo and Escalus in administering justice in Vienna?

"The play judges the idea of justice" Do you agree with this statement?

A drama of ideas. Do you agree?

How important is the title to our understanding of the play?

If anyone looks over these questions and thinks of any good points to make would they be able to post them here...I am interested in what other people would be writing in answers

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any essays they have written on Measure for Measure that they could publish? I thought it would be cool as we could share ideas etc. If I have time I will type up my handwritten essays

Jen x
    yes i have a couple of essays that i can publish for you.

I have one on Isabella, the Duke and one about the overall characters as to whether thay can be sympathised with.

I'll post them up as soon as pos.

Trying to make a big mind map of all the contexts that can be used in Measure for Measure essays (as this is one of the main assesment objectives) but I keep getting stuck. I have the context of the theatrical conventions and devices, all the contexts around the title (religious, social justice & balance, sex, marriage) and the link between the ruler and god. What other contexts are there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    Trying to make a big mind map of all the contexts that can be used in Measure for Measure essays (as this is one of the main assesment objectives) but I keep getting stuck. I have the context of the theatrical conventions and devices, all the contexts around the title (religious, social justice & balance, sex, marriage) and the link between the ruler and god. What other contexts are there?
    I've just started the same thing! Great minds think alike
    Um, ive just written a bit about the political times of 16th and 21st century, how things have changed...or have they? The church and government at head of state etc.

Anyone else got ideas??

ReputationRep:
    I've just started the same thing! Great minds think alike
    Um, ive just written a bit about the political times of 16th and 21st century, how things have changed...or have they? The church and government at head of state etc.

Anyone else got ideas??
    yeah also another thing about the church is that it is interesting to point out that there could be an air of anti-monasticism as Wharton suggests that Shakespeare wouldn't have really seen a monk or a nun. Therefore, in terms of Isabella, one could regard Isabella more critically than favourably in terms of her religious beliefs? As Shakespeare could be tapping into a fundamental dislike of what she represents at the beginning of thr play?

edit: you could talk about the role of feminism? Her chastity could be seen as a positive thing as she is refusing for her body to be violated in a patriarchal society of the Duke, Angelo and Claudio

(Original post by Cellardore)
    edit: you could talk about the role of feminism? Her chastity could be seen as a positive thing as she is refusing for her body to be violated in a patriarchal society of the Duke, Angelo and Claudio
    That is a great point...

I am terrified of getting a question on Isabella and women now Shall do some work on that later I think.

ReputationRep:
    ok he's an essay i did earlier and got a B on it. Not as good as as an A but it still serves as good revision! lol

i would have given you the A grade essay if i hadn;t accidently deleted it lol. I could type it up again or something :rolleyes:
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc Lucio says to Isabella that he.doc (27.0 KB, 267 views)

ReputationRep:
    I would HATE an Isabella question.

I've got my fingers crossed for the Duke. I could write about him for hours. There is just so much to say; links to James (many, many links), the idea of him as a dodgy totalitarian ruler, his mental unease bla bla bla.

I didnt like the look of last years questions (which is good because it basically means they cant come up this year) - although i also do mariner and the PERFECT question came up for that last year so Im a bit annoyed.

I havent looked at themes at all yet. All my revision so far has been character based so Im praying for a good question on that to come up. Or one of those "the play has an unsatisfactory ending" "there are no characters with which we can sympathise" kind of ones. I'd be able to muddle through those.

I'd recommend to anyone that its a really good idea to look carefully at the specification pages 17 to 19 as it gives a good detailed list of what they're looking for i.e. types of context etc. Its always a good idea to know what they can give you marks for so you can put it in!

ReputationRep:
    Then also with the religious theme, there's Angelo as an ascetic, Puritan, Old Testament character – he believes in an eye for an eye ('let mine own judgment pattern out my death'), even if he is a hypocrite. Puritans had strong beliefs on, well, everything, particularly to do with pleasure (sex, going to the theatre...), and were getting more powerful at Shakespeare's time.

What about the so-called 'language context'? On some brainstorm thing I did, I've got: religious language, Isabella's S&M, flagellation; images of power, state, govt, 'measure for measure', moral issues; colloquial lang of lower classes, contrast, Lucio's ability to almost code-switch; contrast of Italian and English names.

There's also 'context of time', as Jenny's done. I think this is about for example when we think 'why doesn't Isabella just do it, what's the big deal?'. As Celladore has said, you could put a feminist reading on this – it's her choice. At the end, you could say that the Duke makes the men take responsibility for their actions, but is this just in the interests of the state (all sex in the play leads to pregnancy)?

Sigh. I think Measure for Measure is a stupid play to have on an A-level exam, as it's far too complex to be given full credit. I certainly don't pretend to understand it.

ReputationRep:
    I found this site.
    It's tres gutt for contexts, especially in the themes section. It moves outside the box, gets your brain thinking

Click here!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 18, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.