Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clockworkapples)
    I'd recommend to anyone that its a really good idea to look carefully at the specification pages 17 to 19 as it gives a good detailed list of what they're looking for i.e. types of context etc. Its always a good idea to know what they can give you marks for so you can put it in!
    Could someone please post a link for this? I'm not great with computers and have no idea where to find it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    lol well i'm not going to go over board in terms of quote learning but some useful ones i think would be:

Isabella:
    - 'wishing a more strict restraint'
    - 'if he had been as you and you as he' - asking Angelo to step into Claudio's shoes, therefore showing that she can think selflessly
    - 'For which i must not plead, but that i must;For which i must not plead but i am'
    - 'condemn the act not the man'
    - 'beast...faithless coward! dishonest wretch!' (when Claudio asks Isabella to sleep with Claudio
    - 'more than our brother is our chastity'
    - 'th'impression of keen whips i'd wear as rubies, and strip myself to death as to a bed'

Claudio about Isabella:
    - she will 'move men..she will play...she can persuade'

Lucio:
    - 'Hail virgin, if you be' hehe i love that quote
    'enskied and sainted' (about Isabella)
    Ooh, fantastic quotes, thanks! (that deserves some rep!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White_redrose)
    Could someone please post a link for this? I'm not great with computers and have no idea where to find it!
    Here ya go:
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5...46-W-SP-05.pdf

Everyone who has posted information and links and stuff in this thread has been so helpful!! Starting to feel a little bit more confident about what I am revsing now..

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its nice talking to some other people that are taking this exam besides my friends. I mean we've already been over everything about a trillion times, sometimes its good to get different people with different angles.

So what grade is everyone hoping/needing to get? I need an A. No pressure then.

Sigh. I guess I better go and tackle another essay soon. Im doing one from the York notes (which are pretty good. they do plays rather well). "angelo is not an evil man but just a weak one that got tempted." Examine this view. Pretty easy but I think its useful to write essays as they tend to get all your thoughts and views organised. Still dull though. But I should get it done before Vic and Bob in Catterick or theres no hope!

ReputationRep:
    Duke
    An Angelo for Claudio, death for death.
    Haste still plays haste, and leisure answers leisure,
    Like doth quit like, and measure still for measure.

Isabella
    More than our brother is our chastity.

Angelo (to Isabella)
    Be that you are, that is, a woman.

Well thats all the quotes I know, I well and truly suck! If you're doing context and all that, mention Vienna and James I and all that shizzle.

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing measure for measure, but with ocr.
    possible essays could be on
    -genre - comedy or tragedy
    -justice, is it unobtainable due to human selfishness? is the outcome of the play just?
    -christian mercy vs. political extremism
    -representation of women, gender imbalance
    -something on sexuality
    -appearance and reality (in relation to angelo, isabella, the duke and vienna itself)
    -temptation
    -leadership, the qualities of a good leader

this thread's really useful for my revision, cheers everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenny_Cambridge)
    Here ya go:
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5...46-W-SP-05.pdf
    Thanks! & great stuff posted everybody! Good luck with the exam tomorrow - I'm actually feeling a little more confident about M4M than before, tis Chaucer I'm stressing about now!

Yeah its nice talking to some other people that are taking this exam besides my friends. I mean we've already been over everything about a trillion times, sometimes its good to get different people with different angles.

So what grade is everyone hoping/needing to get? I need an A. No pressure then.

Sigh. I guess I better go and tackle another essay soon. Im doing one from the York notes (which are pretty good. they do plays rather well). "angelo is not an evil man but just a weak one that got tempted." Examine this view. Pretty easy but I think its useful to write essays as they tend to get all your thoughts and views organised. Still dull though. But I should get it done before Vic and Bob in Catterick or theres no hope!
    I am really hoping that I can maintain my B that I got at AS level. If I went down to a C I can still get into Warwick but getting a B would be ideal. I am sure I won't get an A as my coursework was only a mid B and these exams are going to be tough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    I am really hoping that I can maintain my B that I got at AS level. If I went down to a C I can still get into Warwick but getting a B would be ideal. I am sure I won't get an A as my coursework was only a mid B and these exams are going to be tough.
    i really hope i don't go down a grade either! last year i was just on a B one point lower and it would have been a C lol mind you funny enough i got an A in my coursework this year one mark up than last year :rolleyes: surprisingly as i thought the coursework (regeneration) was quite difficult! I really really want to maintain my B

Although, this may sound really strange but i feel like i know what i'm talking about when it comes to M4M unlike Amadeus last year which i didn't have a clue on lol Same with the poetry. I'm doing the rime of ancient mariner which i have to say is relatively straight forward compared to John Donne lol. I just feel that English is easier this year for some reason.

i really hope i don't go down a grade either! last year i was just on a B one point lower and it would have been a C lol mind you funny enough i got an A in my coursework this year one mark up than last year :rolleyes: surprisingly as i thought the coursework (regeneration) was quite difficult! I really really want to maintain my B

Although, this may sound really strange but i feel like i know what i'm talking about when it comes to M4M unlike Amadeus last year which i didn't have a clue on lol Same with the poetry. I'm doing the rime of ancient mariner which i have to say is relatively straight forward compared to John Donne lol. I just feel that English is easier this year for some reason.
    Last year I did Wuthering Heights and I didn't have a clue but was ok in the exam. I felt confident about A Streetcar named Desire but chose a stupid question. I seem to remember feeling confident when it came to Donne but I do think I can do a lot better with the Ancient Mariner. I think the mariner is quite straightforward (wait now tomorrow it will be a hellish question). I am not so confident about M4M-its going to depend on the question!!!

I just hope I do alright and I wish everyone lots of luck for tomorrow.. GOOD LUCK!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    Last year I did Wuthering Heights and I didn't have a clue but was ok in the exam. I felt confident about A Streetcar named Desire but chose a stupid question. I seem to remember feeling confident when it came to Donne but I do think I can do a lot better with the Ancient Mariner. I think the mariner is quite straightforward (wait now tomorrow it will be a hellish question). I am not so confident about M4M-its going to depend on the question!!!

I just hope I do alright and I wish everyone lots of luck for tomorrow.. GOOD LUCK!!!
    lol anything that involves Isabella or Dukey is good enough for me! I would absolutely hate a question on minor characters or the importance of parallel action type question. Saying that, i really hope i haven't just gone a jinxed myself

lol i really hope a question on either the hermit, the albatross or the impact of nature comes up! I would hate a question on the significance of the form, ballad or something lol.

lol anything that involves Isabella or Dukey is good enough for me! I would absolutely hate a question on minor characters or the importance of parallel action type question. Saying that, i really hope i haven't just gone a jinxed myself

lol i really hope a question on either the hermit, the albatross or the impact of nature comes up! I would hate a question on the significance of the form, ballad or something lol.
    I don't really have a preference on a Mariner question..wouldn't mind the ballad form as I did a practice essay and got an A (which doesn't really happen) Nature would be nice or the albatross as the critical interpretations for that are interesting...

ReputationRep:
    Looks like we've done basically all the same things teacosie, cept I did The Color Purple (yawn) instead of Wuthering Heights.

I think english is ok this year. Mariner is definitely easier though. Tis a great poem.

And I agree with Celladore on what questions I want to come up except I would prefer Angelo to Isabella. A question on the Albatross would be great but thats already come up. Im not sure I'd like the hermit so much but it'd be do-able. As long as I can link the Mariner question back to religion and/or pantheism I'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like we've done basically all the same things teacosie, cept I did The Color Purple (yawn) instead of Wuthering Heights.

I think english is ok this year. Mariner is definitely easier though. Tis a great poem.

And I agree with Celladore on what questions I want to come up except I would prefer Angelo to Isabella. A question on the Albatross would be great but thats already come up. Im not sure I'd like the hermit so much but it'd be do-able. As long as I can link the Mariner question back to religion and/or pantheism I'll be fine.

have you done a question on the Hermit? i could give you one of the essays i did on it (got a B+ lol) not quite an A but hey, nobody's perfect!

have you done a question on the Hermit? i could give you one of the essays i did on it (got a B+ lol) not quite an A but hey, nobody's perfect!
    Would you be able to give me a hermit essay to look at. The Hermit is one of the bits of the poem I am less clear on..I would be stuck in an exam!! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    ok here's an essay i had done earlier on the hermit and the wedding guest. Would you believe there is actually a question purely about the wedding guest!? talk about mean! lol

i'll give yo another essay on Isabella that someone did at my school and got full makrs on- i have also added a few critics into the essay too to think about which might be quite interesting......
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc How important are the wedding guest and the Hermit to what you consider to be Coleridge.doc (30.5 KB, 2596 views)
  2. File Type: doc Lucio says to Isabella that h1.doc (26.5 KB, 210 views)

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, I have more pretentiousness on sex and pregnancy in the play (which ties in with marriage and stuff): Remember the whole speech about 'the baby beats the nurse, and quite athwart goes all decorum'? Well, that's one way of talking about the marriages at the end, I think, especially if you're linking it in with the Duke as ruler and all that. I understand me

Yeah, Jenny Cambridge, that site is really good, especially context-wise, relating to our own society. It's a bit late now probably, but I'll post up some others I've found quite interesting...
    http://www.rsc.org.uk/measure/current/actor.html (and just the whole M4M site)
    http://ise.uvic.ca/Library/SLTnofram...asuresubj.html (in fact, I'm gonna look at this one again methinks!)

Okay, I can't actually find half of them in my favourites, but all I did was type in 'Shakespeare's Measure for Measure' on Yahoo!, and loads of stuff came up.

So, good luck for tomorrow everyone! Hope it's a lovely exam, and you all do well!

ReputationRep:
    oh dear i am keeping my fingers crossed for an Isabella question! :adore:

ReputationRep:
    I hope people realise that context does not just mean historical context. The word context is totally confusing. They're actually looking for themes within the play, like justice etc... something like a link to james 1 or jacobean society is only like an aditional point.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 18, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.