Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Remember the Puritans! And stuff...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by makeshiftwings)
    Remember the Puritans! And stuff...

remember the what? who? huh? qui? :wtf?:

don't be bringing in new words! my brain can't cram anymore stuff in! i'll only get confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryry)
    I hope people realise that context does not just mean historical context. The word context is totally confusing. They're actually looking for themes within the play, like justice etc... something like a link to james 1 or jacobean society is only like an aditional point.
    yeh

when i think of context i think

-religious
    -moral
    -feminist etc.

ReputationRep:
    Puritans were a religious group in the Jacobean times... basically, they thought that in order to worship God all pleasure/luxuries must be removed from life.. Protestants basically.

So basically they contrasted the Catholics, who finely decorated churches etc. Shakespeare was pretty much reidiculing them, as their beliefs contrasted playwrights - going to the theatre was apprently too luxurious.

I don't think it's a major point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryry)
    Puritans were a religious group in the Jacobean times... basically, they thought that in order to worship God all pleasure/luxuries must be removed from life.. Protestants basically.

So basically they contrasted the Catholics, who finely decorated churches etc. Shakespeare was pretty much reidiculing them, as their beliefs contrasted playwrights - going to the theatre was apprently too luxurious.

that's a good point actually. That will tie in with my anti-monasticism point about Shakespeare quite nicely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    that's a good point actually. That will tie in with my anti-monasticism point about Shakespeare quite nicely
    Sorry to be a pain :confused: Can you please briefly explain anti-monasticism? Sorry all these phrases are confusing me! Is that agaisnt the church etc?

ReputationRep:
    please share your anti-monasticism point about Shakespeare!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any essays I could look at? Im really confused! Also what genre have you been told it falls in to and what literary theories to use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryry)
    Going to the theatre was apprently too luxurious.

I think it's certainly a point to consider - along with the closing of the brothels (a theme in M4M on corruption and badness) they wanted to close the theatres too. Shakespeare veiled his attack on them by setting the play in Vienna - but it's there in terms of context, historical and religious.

Also, I discovered today that in England Vienna was generally called Wien - Shakespeare used the Italian name Vienna to make people think of lusty Italians or something.

ALSO - Shakespeare had got his wife Anne Hathaway 'with child' before they were married. Eek!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by char_hall)
    Has anyone got any essays I could look at? Im really confused! Also what genre have you been told it falls in to and what literary theories to use?
    It is generally classed as Comedy, but is better defined as a Problem Play. I've seen it performed as a comedy however and it is quite hilarious, especially Lucio - and they played the Duke as an absolute coward.

ReputationRep:
    The BBC video i watched made me think that it was a comedy, Lucio was really sarcastic! I think i read an article on it being a problem play! What do you think will come up tomorrow? Our teacher was s*** she never gave us any essays to do!

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping Isabella and women - really really hoping ><
    Wouldnt mind a question on corruption either!

ReputationRep:
    Isabella and women would be! Not sure what I would write for corruption. Have you learnt many quotes?

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few, mainly for corruption. Also seperate ones on Isabella, Angelo and the Duke. All on little flashcards, go me!

You were all right!! Isabella was the focus of a question-I didn't do that one though. I did the other. The Is Measure for Measure a comedy question as I felt I would be able to answer it better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    You were all right!! Isabella was the focus of a question-I didn't do that one though. I did the other. The Is Measure for Measure a comedy question as I felt I would be able to answer it better.
    i did the comedy one too!

ReputationRep:
    I thought the comedy one would just be far too hard so I did the Isabella one. That was actually quite good. I enjoy *****ing about all the characters in the play. Plus I managed to get lots of contextual references in. The Mariner questions were a bit strange though.

(Original post by clockworkapples)
    I thought the comedy one would just be far too hard so I did the Isabella one. That was actually quite good. I enjoy *****ing about all the characters in the play. Plus I managed to get lots of contextual references in. The Mariner questions were a bit strange though.
    I didn't revise anything about Isabella. Had done a lot on the genre and felt impressed by my introduction which was about a definition of comedy begining with trouble and ending with peace and just went on from there..

At first I thought the mariner questions were strange but I though the first was nice. Did the second though as I'd been learning about Penn Warren and the scaramental narrative revisited through the romantic theme of redemption through the spirit of imagination..Also I thought it would be ideal to talk about Whalley and the crystalisation of coleridges own experience, with life-in-death being about loneliness and isolation and all that...

I just don't think I wrote and structured my essays very well at all..Oh well as long as I get a B over all I shall be delighted!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    I didn't revise anything about Isabella. Had done a lot on the genre and felt impressed by my introduction which was about a definition of comedy begining with trouble and ending with peace and just went on from there..

At first I thought the mariner questions were strange but I though the first was nice. Did the second though as I'd been learning about Penn Warren and the scaramental narrative revisited through the romantic theme of redemption through the spirit of imagination..Also I thought it would be ideal to talk about Whalley and the crystalisation of coleridges own experience, with life-in-death being about loneliness and isolation and all that...

I just don't think I wrote and structured my essays very well at all..Oh well as long as I get a B over all I shall be delighted!!
    That sounds unbelievably scary! Damn my drunken english teacher for not teaching us properly!

I did the other one. I linked the lack of coherence mainly to the conflicting moral messages in the poem (mostly religion and pantheism) but I talked a bit about the deviations from the ballad form as well to try and hit AO3. I dont think I linked my paragraphs very well. At the end I said that some people may perceive it as a lack of coherence but I think it shows brilliance and originality and it has kept the poem talked about for 200 years. Hopefully my blatant Coleridge worship will impress the examiner that Im a very literary person who deserves extra marks!!

Overall this year I need to get 208+ marks to get an A overall.

(Original post by clockworkapples)
    That sounds unbelievably scary! Damn my drunken english teacher for not teaching us properly!

I did the other one. I linked the lack of coherence mainly to the conflicting moral messages in the poem (mostly religion and pantheism) but I talked a bit about the deviations from the ballad form as well to try and hit AO3. I dont think I linked my paragraphs very well. At the end I said that some people may perceive it as a lack of coherence but I think it shows brilliance and originality and it has kept the poem talked about for 200 years. Hopefully my blatant Coleridge worship will impress the examiner that Im a very literary person who deserves extra marks!!

Overall this year I need to get 208+ marks to get an A overall.
    Halfway through writing my coleridge essay I though...hhmm maybe I should have done the other one..because as you say the conflicting moral messages and deviations to the ballad form are what to write about. Oh well hopefully it will all be ok..

I would need 250+ marks to get an A overall this year which I don't think will happen as I got about the same on my coursework this year as last year and last year had a very low A and a very high B for the exam papers...So don't actually think an A is at all possible :eek: but hopefully a B is what I shall get!! *fingers crossed for us all*

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 18, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.