Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I did the Isabella question! Loved talking about corruption and comparing her to other women in the play, contextual stuff and rounding it off with a nice little bit about how God corrupts and that.
    I hope I didn't go off on a tangent...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    I would need 250+ marks to get an A overall this year which I don't think will happen as I got about the same on my coursework this year as last year and last year had a very low A and a very high B for the exam papers...So don't actually think an A is at all possible :eek: but hopefully a B is what I shall get!! *fingers crossed for us all*
    I wish our teacher would tell us what we got on our coursework. It seems to be some kind of school policy not to as my history teacher refuses to give us the marks for the personal study either. It would be so much better if I knew how much I needed on the exams.

From the sounds of it I'd say you're practically a dead cert for a high B at least. Good luck! Im not sure Im going to be able to cope with the wait for results. I just bought some books off amazon that are on my warwick booklist and I was thinking "oh god, what if I dont get to go!" Its just too much pressure.

(Original post by clockworkapples)
    I wish our teacher would tell us what we got on our coursework. It seems to be some kind of school policy not to as my history teacher refuses to give us the marks for the personal study either. It would be so much better if I knew how much I needed on the exams.

From the sounds of it I'd say you're practically a dead cert for a high B at least. Good luck! Im not sure Im going to be able to cope with the wait for results. I just bought some books off amazon that are on my warwick booklist and I was thinking "oh god, what if I dont get to go!" Its just too much pressure.
    Good luck to you too. I see Warwick is your firm choice...mine too but for Theatre Studies. I would say I hope to see you there but I have deferred entry :p: Good Luck-really hope you get to Warwick as it is lovely there Don't think I shall be able to cope with the waiting either-I want to know now!!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Those questions were like a gift from heaven, really they were.

I did the comedy one, I really did not expect it to come up and almost cried when it did. Certainly made up for my abysmal performance on my poetry essay - anyone else do Emily Dickinson?

ReputationRep:
    I did the comedy question, but only because I couldn't face an Isabella one in the end! I hope it went okish...I really need the A. *worries*

ReputationRep:
    I also did the comedy question. Said how it was a romantic comedy, disguised monarch comedy mixed together, which creates the magic word 'problem', lower characters, how they provide comedy and a critical mirror, the ending, marriages, how it's a problem play, some crap like that. All good fun!

ReputationRep:
    ^^^ eek, I didn't write about the disguised monarch comedy! You sound like you've done really well! I did put the other stuff though - ending, marriage, comic conventions, tragi-comedy, anti-comedy, then Linda Ellis' take on it (not a problem play, not a comedy, a 'sophisticated analysis of the ways in which those in power secure and maintain that power' etc.)

ReputationRep:
    I was sooo happy, in fact I giggled a wee bit when the shakespeare questions came up! Yesterday me and my friend were planning essays and those were the two we planned!Mwah ha ha, exam board trying to fool us!. Anyway I did the Isabella question although everyone else in my group seemed to do the comedy one ah well! I did Emily D as well golden Touch. I did the second one about emotional experiences and I also referred to Certain Slant of Light and Dreaded that first Robin so as well as the last night that she lived. Which one you do?

ReputationRep:
    I was sooooooooo happy guys about that Isabella question! A gift from heaven that was :adore: i had learnt an essay off by heart that i had got an A for plus put a few more critics in to strengthen my arguments. I had done a question previously about her being 'enskied and sainted) and i can honestly say i am well chuffed that exam was a piece of cake.

ReputationRep:
    that Coleridge question was abit random! lol i did the one about 'to what extent does the ballad lack coherence' or something which was relatively straight forward. I just cramed everything i knew in, some of of its bound to be right surely as one interpretation leads onto another, you can't go far wrong lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenny_Cambridge)
    I was sooo happy, in fact I giggled a wee bit when the shakespeare questions came up! Yesterday me and my friend were planning essays and those were the two we planned!Mwah ha ha, exam board trying to fool us!. Anyway I did the Isabella question although everyone else in my group seemed to do the comedy one ah well! I did Emily D as well golden Touch. I did the second one about emotional experiences and I also referred to Certain Slant of Light and Dreaded that first Robin so as well as the last night that she lived. Which one you do?
    I did the same Emily Dickinson question as you AND mentioned the same poems! I threw in a bit about "'Twas just this time last year I died" as well, just for the hell of it really. I wasn't actually in the day we studied "The last night that she lived" but the other question looked so much worse that I thought I'd try and blag my way through it anyway. It was pretty awful. But the Shakespeare made up for it at least!

ReputationRep:
    Does this mean my M4M exam next week will not include Isabella or Comedy?

*weeps" I wanted to be in your M4M exam. Stupid OCR....

(Original post by Cellardore)
    that Coleridge question was abit random! lol i did the one about 'to what extent does the ballad lack coherence' or something which was relatively straight forward. I just cramed everything i knew in, some of of its bound to be right surely as one interpretation leads onto another, you can't go far wrong lol.
    Yeh I think that is the thing with Coleridge..the interpretations just kind of follow on from each other I am quite happy about that exam. Less painful than I expected (had already done an essay on the genre of M4M )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreama)
    How do we know??? Lol, probably not. Look as past papers and your assessment objectives.

ReputationRep:

*weeps" I wanted to be in your M4M exam. Stupid OCR....
    hwhen is your exam? has your teacher given you any hints on what they think might come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White_redrose)
    ^^^ eek, I didn't write about the disguised monarch comedy! You sound like you've done really well! I did put the other stuff though - ending, marriage, comic conventions, tragi-comedy, anti-comedy, then Linda Ellis' take on it (not a problem play, not a comedy, a 'sophisticated analysis of the ways in which those in power secure and maintain that power' etc.)
    Now, to me you sound like you've done really well! I'm very sure you'll get your A! I suppose that's the beauty, and annoyance, of this play – you could say really anything about it, from all sorts of different angles. I wish I'd said more about the serious aspects of the play, as I think I might have skimmed over them a little bit, although I can't really remember!

I feel a bit lost now with no Measure for Measure and Chaucer revision to do...it feels like the end of an era, lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    hwhen is your exam? has your teacher given you any hints on what they think might come up?
    Tuesday and No.

I'm thinking maybe an Angelo question - "Evil or misguided" type thing. Maybe the Duke - either is fine with me. There will also be a broader thematic question that's usually a little dodgey.

Well done on your dream exam

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday and No.

I'm thinking maybe an Angelo question - "Evil or misguided" type thing. Maybe the Duke - either is fine with me. There will also be a broader thematic question that's usually a little dodgey.

Well done on your dream exam
    does OCR do a website of past questions? that way you could probably guess wot might come up. Angelo might come up or justice would be a good one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by makeshiftwings)
    I did the Isabella question! Loved talking about corruption and comparing her to other women in the play, contextual stuff and rounding it off with a nice little bit about how God corrupts and that.
    I hope I didn't go off on a tangent...
    lol no it all sounds relevant to me. You see that essay i posted up earlier? in conjuntion with the ancinet mariner doc/ that's more or less wot i wote
    i am so glad i still had that essay because it was the one i got an A on- talk about cutting it fine, Isabella was the only character i had really revised thoroughly. If Angelo had come up i think i would have been scewed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clockworkapples)
    That sounds unbelievably scary! Damn my drunken english teacher for not teaching us properly!

I did the other one. I linked the lack of coherence mainly to the conflicting moral messages in the poem (mostly religion and pantheism) but I talked a bit about the deviations from the ballad form as well to try and hit AO3. I dont think I linked my paragraphs very well. At the end I said that some people may perceive it as a lack of coherence but I think it shows brilliance and originality and it has kept the poem talked about for 200 years. Hopefully my blatant Coleridge worship will impress the examiner that Im a very literary person who deserves extra marks!!

Overall this year I need to get 208+ marks to get an A overall.
    yeah that's the one i did. was i right to say that the supernatural bit was the main bit that some readers would think lacked coherence because of all the religion and nature it had said before? i'm sure i heard that somewhere. Then i wrote about how it is coherent as the ghost ship was supposed to be representative of nature taking avengence etc.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 18, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.